4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Projector / HID Headlight Retrofit Complete, yayz0r

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Projector / HID Headlight Retrofit Complete, yayz0r

Before I start, a disclaimer: Don't hate on me cuz I have an i30. I still proudly claim to own a Nissan. I had a 97 Maxima, and when it got totalled, I had to buy a 97 i30t. God I love this car.

But man oh man do the 97 headlights SUCK. Fresnal lenses, are you serious? I thought this was supposed to be a luxury sedan!

So I took the gamble and ordered the lights from Depo Auto Lights. I read all the forums, lots of mixed opinions, not a bunch of useful information. Hopefully I can fill in the blanks. If there is something I don't say specifically, *USE THE SEARCH*, cuz there are already a few threads on this exact topic with these exact headlights, etc.

K, about my experience with Depo themselves. First of all, yea, they have terrible customer service. Well, DUH, I doubt they speak English very well, so I don't hold that against em. They didn't reply to most of my emails, and when they did, the answers were pretty worthless. Despite that, I still ordered these one-piece cefiro headlights with projectors & halos retro'd in. They were $350 shipped.

The Projector brand is apparently Satuga. It's right on the DAL website. Satuga makes all sorta lighting equipment, check out their website. They do not list projectors as one of their products however. Odd? Whatever.

I specifically requested the halo ring to be white. I believe the default is blue. They got that part right.

I ordered the fully chrome housing headlights. They sent me the blacked out ones. Luckily, I didn't care, but for the record, they *did* get my order wrong.

Shipping time was relatively quick, considering it came from the other side of the world. I was impressed. I think something like a week and a half. The tracking number arrived in my email saying estimated delivery a solid week after I received em. Odd.

As for the HIDs. I did my research and came to the conclusion that, with my budget and my needs, ebay HIDs were the best option for me. Yes, I know all the reasons not to buy them, I know I know, whatever. For like $60, I'm not complaining though. I got 4300K, "oem color", and again, I'm very pleased with the output.

Onto some pictures. I'm skipping the majority of them, if you want to see the complete gallery, check out
http://www.13r1an.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1471

Original terrible beam pattern.

Upon arrival, fresh out of the box:

H7 ebay 4300K HID kit

Oven at 250 degrees, about 20 minutes for the first time. It went in and out about 5 times total to keep the glue pliable for removal. Took about 2 hours per headlight to get it all removed and clean. Note: I used a damp towel on a cookie sheet. BAD idea. Towel = good, wetness = bad. The water ended up in the air in the oven, it was extremely humid, and the moisture ended up inside the housing weeks later upon reassembly. Use a dry towel to avoid foggy headlights if you disassemble. Learning experience.

Interior components
Old 11-17-2009, 02:26 PM

masked and painted:

Reassembled:

there is a slight difference... :-)
Old 11-17-2009, 02:28 PM

oh, and painting info.

I cleaned them, then masked them. Took em to Maaco. $25. It's their "color & clear" mix, w/e that is. But it looked good enough, and for the price, I wasn't complaining. Color matched it to the car by the code.

Now for more pix.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:31 PM

Installed photos:

and I'm personally a big fan of this picture...

Old 11-17-2009, 02:38 PM

and finally, since I know this is always requested... the beam pattern.

notes about these pix.

the car is on an incline. As in, the car itself is tilted a lil bit off to the side, so although it looks like the cutoff comes up on the left, it is actually totally level.

and yes, they are WAY low. I need to raise them. Next weekend, when I have time. For now, the 30-50 ft in front of me is extremely well lit, lol.

again, I'm extremely pleased with the light output. I don't have experience with the "real OEM quality" systems, so I'm sure there is much better available. But I'm stoked on the obvious improvement.

As far as fitment of these headlights on the i30...
Not bad, honestly. I mean, it's not factory, it could be a little better, and they're a little uneven from on to the other. But for an aftermarket accessory, it's not really that noticeable. There's a gap over the bumper on the driver side, and on the inside of the headlight, there's a gap on the passenger headlight. Weird, but only an OCD perfectionist like myself would notice. Lots of chill pills were taken during this mod.

again, visit http://www.13r1an.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1471 for the full gallery.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:40 PM

all right, kickass. I love maxima.org. Thanks for all the help (to all and one). I love the search feature.

and this page will MERC Y0 56K!!
Old 11-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Sold

Nice job with the retrofit. What projector did you use? Like a Tex or did you just install the hid kit in those noname projectors? Looks good however you did it
Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 PM

check your img links.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by JSMax
Nice job with the retrofit. What projector did you use? Like a Tex or did you just install the hid kit in those noname projectors? Looks good however you did it
I'm pretty sure he bought them with the no-name projectors and simply installed the HID kit into them.
I do agree, looks great!

Originally Posted by Semper13
Despite that, I still ordered these one-piece cefiro headlights with projectors & halos retro'd in. They were $350 shipped.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Snypa
check your img links.
all the pictures show up fine for me, anyone else have any problems seeing em?

And correct, the projectors were already installed when I received them. It's essentially all no-name gear.

I'm actually surprised nobody cares really about this, hah. :-/ Hmm, oh wellz. This is why I usually don't start threads. Either way, *I'm* stoked.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Boosted Panda

all the pictures show up fine for me, anyone else have any problems seeing em?

And correct, the projectors were already installed when I received them. It's essentially all no-name gear.

I'm actually surprised nobody cares really about this, hah. :-/ Hmm, oh wellz. This is why I usually don't start threads. Either way, *I'm* stoked.

Its a good thread to show some that there are options for a projector setup without having to do an actual retro.
But the output isnt anything insanely great, so that may why some arent getting too excited about it. Im wondering whats up with the funky V cutoff in the middle. It is much better then stock, and the headlights themselves look much better then the OEM ones you had, but its nothing people havent seen before.
All in all, you have a much better setup then OEM both in looks and function.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:12 AM

looks good man! creative
Old 11-18-2009, 08:41 AM

Last year around this time, I thought about buying these, but they never responded to my emails. Although I don't like the CCFL ring around the projector, it looks good and is a definite improvement over the 97 fluted lens.
These projectors however, don't seem to have much width.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 AM

Flava:
fair nuff, all very true statements.
I know it looks like a V, but the car was on a slant. It's the typical (___/----) pattern you expect from a projector. Not the greatest to show it, but it is "normal".

queenambeach:
I practically stalked you before undertaking this project, since I love your headlights and your obvious knowledge of the topic. Lol, I simply couldn't afford your setup. Envy, my friend... I am definitely envious.

And thank you to all others for your kind words.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 AM

queenambeach:
I practically stalked you before undertaking this project, since I love your headlights and your obvious knowledge of the topic. Lol, I simply couldn't afford your setup. Envy, my friend... I am definitely envious.

And thank you to all others for your kind words.
Those lights were like $350+shipping when I was looking to purchase.
My setup wasn't that much more expensive. Everything cost me about $100 more. That includes everything from new headlights to projectors, to ballast, and labor. If, you take your time, you can find great deals on HID equipment.

You might want to try using an H7 to D2S adapter and get OEM bulbs. ($10 on ebay) if it works, then upgrading to 55 watt ballast will definitely help with more light and a little more light to the sides.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:24 PM

Looks decent, but I can't really tell that it's color-matched...you may have been able to save $25 and gotten black

That said, a definite improvement over stock.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 AM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
Looks decent, but I can't really tell that it's color-matched...you may have been able to save $25 and gotten black

That said, a definite improvement over stock.
I'm sure the color is much more noticeable in person. I have the same color I30 and it looks black in pics most of the time.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 PM

Wow Im quite impressed. That really looks good on the car and the output is much better than stock. Nice work!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by queenambeach
Those lights were like $350+shipping when I was looking to purchase.
My setup wasn't that much more expensive. Everything cost me about $100 more. That includes everything from new headlights to projectors, to ballast, and labor. If, you take your time, you can find great deals on HID equipment.

You might want to try using an H7 to D2S adapter and get OEM bulbs. ($10 on ebay) if it works, then upgrading to 55 watt ballast will definitely help with more light and a little more light to the sides.
Yea, understood, and agreed. But that $100 I don't have plus the actual time and effort for me to do all the modding myself made it more unappealing to me. Sad, because I really enjoy that sorta thing, but time is a precious commodity to me lately, and even just getting these painted and dropped in took me nearly a month after arrival. I'm a busy bee.

Does that adapter go into the actual projector housing? The housing was H7, so I bought H7 HIDs. But you're basically suggesting replacing the bulbs, and the ballasts... therefore the entire HID kit, lol. Am I understanding that correctly?

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
I'm sure the color is much more noticeable in person. I have the same color I30 and it looks black in pics most of the time.
you sir, are correct. the ultimate factor in deciding if my car is green or black that day: when did I wash it last...
midnight emerald, I <3 U
Old 11-19-2009, 01:01 PM

and again, thank you very much for the kind words from the O.G.s of the forum.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 PM

Wow, I found a sweet deal on craigslist for these exact lights yesterday but was iffy on getting them because I didn't know how nice (or bad) the cutoff would be. I see the front page of the forums and see this thread. Needless to say I picked them up today :-) I have the same color car too, but yours is clean! I was wondering if your projectors have a shroud with them? Mine is just the projector and looks a little weird. Also, did you receive instructions for the install? I'm sure the wiring isn't too difficult, but it'd be nice to know what to beforehand. Lastly, do these lights use the OEM (9006) harnesses? I already have cefiro's so I have switched that out to H4 (?), do I have to switch back?

Thanks for the help and pics! Nice ride!

Adam
Old 11-20-2009, 07:14 AM

Yea, understood, and agreed. But that $100 I don't have plus the actual time and effort for me to do all the modding myself made it more unappealing to me. Sad, because I really enjoy that sorta thing, but time is a precious commodity to me lately, and even just getting these painted and dropped in took me nearly a month after arrival. I'm a busy bee.

Does that adapter go into the actual projector housing? The housing was H7, so I bought H7 HIDs. But you're basically suggesting replacing the bulbs, and the ballasts... therefore the entire HID kit, lol. Am I understanding that correctly?
I'm only advocating replacing the bulbs. Kit bulbs suck! They really do suck!! I'm suggesting getting OEM bulbs. The adapters would go on the bulb.
You'd need two items, the H7 to D2S adapters, and AMP to D2S adapters. Both can be had for under $20.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:24 AM

yeah. going from kit ballasts to OEM isn't that big of a deal. OEM is more reliable, but the output is the same.

going from kit bulbs to OEM bulbs is a bigger change.

altho, IMO, if you're happy with how it looks now, wait for them to dim or colorshift or burn out (they are not known for their reliability or durability) then replace them a few months down the line.

Your projectors are H7. The H7 D2S adapter is a small metal ring that goes in the back of the H7 socket and allows a D2S bulb. Then you get your good ol' 85122 D2S bulb in there. Then you need a D2S AMP adapter, which has the round D2S connector on one side for your bulb, then the two positive and negative AMP connectors for your kit ballast.

All in all, $100 is a decent ballpark, but if you're happy with the H7 bulbs you're probably alright for now, unless they begin to damage the chrome due to heat.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:40 AM

Showin' Support.. Did the same HID's with projectors @ 6300k, like the CCFLs!
Old 11-27-2009, 04:15 AM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Its a good thread to show some that there are options for a projector setup without having to do an actual retro.
But the output isnt anything insanely great, so that may why some arent getting too excited about it. Im wondering whats up with the funky V cutoff in the middle. It is much better then stock, and the headlights themselves look much better then the OEM ones you had, but its nothing people havent seen before.
All in all, you have a much better setup then OEM both in looks and function.

BIG improvement!
Old 11-27-2009, 05:19 AM

nice, looks good.

another thing that will help out alot is painting the grill its sticking out like a sore thumb it will add alot of aggression to the front end, here is a pic of mine:

yea if u get some spare money i would swap out the projectors for FXs or TLs something like that u will be amazed by the lighting improvement but overall i like
Old 11-28-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by adamsanders
Wow, I found a sweet deal on craigslist for these exact lights yesterday but was iffy on getting them because I didn't know how nice (or bad) the cutoff would be. I see the front page of the forums and see this thread. Needless to say I picked them up today :-) I have the same color car too, but yours is clean! I was wondering if your projectors have a shroud with them? Mine is just the projector and looks a little weird. Also, did you receive instructions for the install? I'm sure the wiring isn't too difficult, but it'd be nice to know what to beforehand. Lastly, do these lights use the OEM (9006) harnesses? I already have cefiro's so I have switched that out to H4 (?), do I have to switch back?

Thanks for the help and pics! Nice ride!

Adam
kickass, glad to hear ya picked up a set.
thank you for the kind words. As much of a fan I am of riding dirty, I try and keep the ride clean.

Maybe yours were made by the guy rather than just ordered from Depo. That may explain some differences.
Def no instructions. Just a product and chinese newspaper for packing.
The particular bulbs that your housing will use depends on the projector. Mine used H7. I'm not sure if on the specifics of what you'll need to do to retrofit over, I just spliced on new connectors.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:46 PM

nalc & queenambeach, thanks for the information, that was very helpful. Presently, I am super stoked on the quality of the output so I'm pretty content. But I'll keep it in mind that when they burn out (and oh yes, I expect them to shortly as well) I'll do the OEM bulb upgrade. I was unclear about the adapters and such, but now I get it so that is definitely the way to go.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:49 PM

thanks again for the compliments!

crusher, ur car is too intimidating for me. I want my car to be friendly and inviting to other cars.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:52 PM

more pix

I may be obsessed...

finally got the beams level. yay.

and cruisin at night.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:00 PM

btw, full scale pictures and a few more unposted ones at www.13r1an.com
Old 11-30-2009, 01:00 AM

heres mine, i didnt open em up and paint them tho..

Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 AM

exsjulio, what kind of bulbs do you have in your fog light setup?

and do you have any gap issue with your passenger side one? I haven't had a lot of time to stare at mine (finals time!) but I have between a 1/8" to 1/4" gap. Can't tell if the piece warped while baking, lame from factory, or if there's just something amiss on my install.

I'm still dealing with a very serious moisture problem with my install. At first I assumed it was because my oven was humid from the wet towels I placed the headlights on, but now I'm thinking maybe water is a by-product of the type of silicone I used to re-seal them. I put one in a food dehydrator to dry it out and now I've got crazy water spots all on the inside of the lense! Doh! The other one I've taken out repeatedly, placed under a fan, and everything evaporates fine, but the moisture re-appears. Still no conclusion as to what is causing it, but just sharing. Oh, and trust me, they are sealed like a ****, plus it hasn't even been raining. But I do live in FL, so it's humid as hell. Bah, I dont' know, just rambling, distracting myself from studying.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 AM

I agree with crusher about painting the grill black
Old 12-02-2009, 07:23 AM

damn i want some!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
I agree with crusher about painting the grill black
another on this
Old 12-02-2009, 08:18 AM

exsjulio, what kind of bulbs do you have in your fog light setup?

and do you have any gap issue with your passenger side one? I haven't had a lot of time to stare at mine (finals time!) but I have between a 1/8" to 1/4" gap. Can't tell if the piece warped while baking, lame from factory, or if there's just something amiss on my install.

I'm still dealing with a very serious moisture problem with my install. At first I assumed it was because my oven was humid from the wet towels I placed the headlights on, but now I'm thinking maybe water is a by-product of the type of silicone I used to re-seal them. I put one in a food dehydrator to dry it out and now I've got crazy water spots all on the inside of the lense! Doh! The other one I've taken out repeatedly, placed under a fan, and everything evaporates fine, but the moisture re-appears. Still no conclusion as to what is causing it, but just sharing. Oh, and trust me, they are sealed like a ****, plus it hasn't even been raining. But I do live in FL, so it's humid as hell. Bah, I dont' know, just rambling, distracting myself from studying.
Open them up. Remove all silicone.

When silicone is heated, it gives off a vapor that leaves a nasty film over everything. Get it out of there ASAP, because optical grade chrome is a pain in the *** to clean (most solvents dissolve it).

To seal it, you can use a clear glue called "Seal All" that comes in a yellow tube (similar to model airplane glue). Or, you can also order online "Nissan Butyl headlight sealant" which is a flexible strip and is the same glue that the OEM headlights use. It's heat activated, so you put it in the seam between the lens and housing, put both in the oven, then squeeze them together. If you need to open it, you can bake them apart just like OEM. Seal All has to be chipped off, it can't be baked. Best to use the butyl sealant for the lens to the housing, and the Seal All for cracks in the housing, screw holes, that kind of stuff.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:49 AM

Looks good, not a huge fan of the angel eyes, but they don't look terrible either. Definite improvement over stock.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
When silicone is heated, it gives off a vapor that leaves a nasty film over everything. Get it out of there ASAP, because optical grade chrome is a pain in the *** to clean (most solvents dissolve it).
hmmmmmmm... that woulda bee nice to know. lol. how did you find that out?

Not gonna lie, I really really really really do NOT want to take these apart again. Especially since my only idea of how to take em apart would be to put em back in the oven... which would mean heating up the silicone... which would coat everything in 'a nasty film'... I'm gonna take the gamble on it for now and just let em sit. What really pisses me off is that I don't even know what type of silicone I used, especially since I spent 30 minutes in the aisle at Lowes trying to pick the best one. oi.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:53 PM

I recall reading it somewhere on HIDPlanet, but I can't find the original thread.

IDK if it's all silicone, or just certain types, or what.

Is it a fogging of the lens, or actual water droplets?

If water is your issue, you could also try applying a product called 3M Window-Weld along the seam of the lens and the housing, that is supposed to work well too.

Quick Reply: Projector / HID Headlight Retrofit Complete, yayz0r