4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I already added a FSTB... what else can I do to stiffen the chasis!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 12:04 PM

I already added a FSTB... what else can I do to stiffen the chasis!?!?

Man the chassis in this car is just too loose. I bolted on a front strut tower brace like y'all suggested, it helped, but there is STILL a lot of room for improvement. Maybe it's because I'm used to driving my '00 Silverado with the hydroformed steel-rail box frame (extremely tight/stiff), but this maxima just bends and flexes like none other!

Will the RSTB make any noticable improvements in this respect? I've heard sometimes they rattle, which I hate rattles, so I'm hesitant to do so.

What else can I do to gain chassis stiffness? I grimace every time I drive this car over a speed bump or pothole because the whole thing feels like its going to shake itself apart!

I know back when I had my 94 Camaro Z28, that I was able to add subframe connectors, and it made a night and day difference... but I've never heard of SFCs for a maxima... is there such a thing, or a way to efficiently/cheaply fabricate them? Or is that not even an option on front wheel drive cars?

Suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 12-03-2001, 12:09 PM

Re: I already added a FSTB... what else can I do to stiffen the chasis!?!?

Originally posted by Threxx
Man the chassis in this car is just too loose. I bolted on a front strut tower brace like y'all suggested, it helped, but there is STILL a lot of room for improvement. Maybe it's because I'm used to driving my '00 Silverado with the hydroformed steel-rail box frame (extremely tight/stiff), but this maxima just bends and flexes like none other!

Will the RSTB make any noticable improvements in this respect? I've heard sometimes they rattle, which I hate rattles, so I'm hesitant to do so.

What else can I do to gain chassis stiffness? I grimace every time I drive this car over a speed bump or pothole because the whole thing feels like its going to shake itself apart!

I know back when I had my 94 Camaro Z28, that I was able to add subframe connectors, and it made a night and day difference... but I've never heard of SFCs for a maxima... is there such a thing, or a way to efficiently/cheaply fabricate them? Or is that not even an option on front wheel drive cars?

Suggestions would be appreciated!
You got rid of your Z28 for a Maxima???? What were you thinking? Anyway, I heard that someone was going to be making SFCs for Maxima's. It would be great if they did as I would definatly get them! The only other things that help a little are a RSB, and a RSTB. Lowering the car will also help a little. The car just isn't designed to handle all that well. It was designed as a family car with some performance. It will never do what you could with your Z, but it can be made to handle fairly well with the above mentioned things. Hope this helps a little.
Old 12-03-2001, 12:11 PM

Re: Re: I already added a FSTB... what else can I do to stiffen the chasis!?!?

Originally posted by JdawgX

You got rid of your Z28 for a Maxima???? What were you thinking? Anyway, I heard that someone was going to be making SFCs for Maxima's. It would be great if they did as I would definatly get them! The only other things that help a little are a RSB, and a RSTB. Lowering the car will also help a little. The car just isn't designed to handle all that well. It was designed as a family car with some performance. It will never do what you could with your Z, but it can be made to handle fairly well with the above mentioned things. Hope this helps a little.
Upgrade the struts if you lower it or even if you dont. Gives you a better feeling ride.

SuDZ
Old 12-03-2001, 12:38 PM
BlkCat

Re: I already added a FSTB... what else can I do to stiffen the chasis!?!?

The RSTB will cut down on the left over body-leaning tendancies. I just got myself the Stillen RSB last month and the lean is practically gone. I've got Eibach Springs and Koni Sports for suspension so the ride is alot more stiffer than a stock SE. Cornering is flat right now. Too bad the front seats are not bolstered enough...I can't brace myself that well

Old 12-03-2001, 12:58 PM

Re: Re: I already added a FSTB... what else can I do to stiffen the chasis!?!?

You got rid of your Z28 for a Maxima???? What were you thinking? Anyway, I heard that someone was going to be making SFCs for Maxima's.
Insurance was killing me, I'm only 20 (actually I was 17 when I bought the Z28)... so I sold the Z and bought my truck. After a while I decided the truck wasn't a very good daily driver, and I was afraid of the stereo sysytem getting stolen (3 amps, ten speakers, and a bunch of other junk, about $5k in very thief-appealing equipment), so I bought my Maxima. I WAS going to sell the truck, but decided after all the work I had put in to it, I would hate myself a year from now for doing so, so I'm working overtime so that I can eventually fully-own both of them.
I plan on either getting a 98-99 LS1 Z28 or a 94-95 GT or Cobra when finances allow, I'm shooting for the end of summer '02.

THAT WOULD BE COOL AS HELL IF THEY MADE SFC's FOR THE MAXIMA, who is thinking of doing it? Whoever they are, tell them they'd easily have 400-500 of my money for a set... they'd be worth it for sure. In the racing world, a FSTB isn't even really considered a chassis stiffening mod, but w/ maximas it is, and for that reason people buy it and love it. Just imagine the popularity of SFCs, especially if they were bolt-ons!

BTW, SuDZ and BlkCat, I'm not talking about stiffening the ride-quality or handling, I'm talking about stiffening the chassis. Stiffening the chassis many times helps cars handle better, but I'm more interested in doing it just for the purpose of eliminating chassis flex and the demons associated with it.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: I already added a FSTB... what else can I do to stiffen the chasis!?!?

I plan on either getting a 98-99 LS1 Z28 or a 94-95 GT or Cobra when finances allow, I'm shooting for the end of summer '02.

THAT WOULD BE COOL AS HELL IF THEY MADE SFC's FOR THE MAXIMA, who is thinking of doing it? Whoever they are, tell them they'd easily have 400-500 of my money for a set... they'd be worth it for sure. In the racing world, a FSTB isn't even really considered a chassis stiffening mod, but w/ maximas it is, and for that reason people buy it and love it. Just imagine the popularity of SFCs, especially if they were bolt-ons!

I'm not sure who's planning on making them but I'll let you know as soon as I find out. As far as your other car choices, the LS1 is gonna kick the crap out of even the Cobra's. It's just a faster car with more displacement. But either way, it'll be fun.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=81981
Old 12-03-2001, 02:50 PM

Cool! I'm going to be making a road trip to texas on dec 26th, maybe I can stop by their shop and get them to weld some SFC and x-brace on for me!

BTW, JdawgX... I know the whole LS1/LT1, 302/281DOHC/302/281SOHC thing backwards and forwards. I've been a member of camaroz28.com for 3 and a half years, and been very involved in the pony-car racing scene for several years now. I don't really have a bias, I like some things about both cars... but I've already had a LT1, and yes I've driven many LS1s, and there is something about a 302 V8 SN95 convertible stang that I have always wanted. Can you say 347 stroker, 14psi vortech t-trim, headers, h-pipe, catback and saleen speedster GFX/tonnue cover? That's what I'm talking about!
Old 12-03-2001, 09:30 PM

^TTT^
Old 12-04-2001, 07:49 AM

Cool! I'm going to be making a road trip to texas on dec 26th, maybe I can stop by their shop and get them to weld some SFC and x-brace on for me!

BTW, JdawgX... I know the whole LS1/LT1, 302/281DOHC/302/281SOHC thing backwards and forwards. I've been a member of camaroz28.com for 3 and a half years, and been very involved in the pony-car racing scene for several years now. I don't really have a bias, I like some things about both cars... but I've already had a LT1, and yes I've driven many LS1s, and there is something about a 302 V8 SN95 convertible stang that I have always wanted. Can you say 347 stroker, 14psi vortech t-trim, headers, h-pipe, catback and saleen speedster GFX/tonnue cover? That's what I'm talking about!
Nice! Do you know 5.0This? He's a good friend of mine here in Colorado and on camaroz28.com And that Stang would be a very quick and fun toy. Where do you live??? Maybe we could meet up sometime.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:49 AM

Nice! Do you know 5.0This? He's a good friend of mine here in Colorado and on camaroz28.com And that Stang would be a very quick and fun toy. Where do you live??? Maybe we could meet up sometime.
I've seen 5.0This on the board here and there, he just joined recently, so I haven't really had any direct conversations with him, but I recognize who he is.

However- I live in Memphis, TN... quite a distance from Colorodo.

CamaroZ28.com is having a HUGE board get-together with 1/4, road racing, car shows, and a bunch of stuff in Kansas this upcoming summer. I'll be there... so if 5.0This is going to go, go along with him and I'll see you up there.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:46 PM

I've seen 5.0This on the board here and there, he just joined recently, so I haven't really had any direct conversations with him, but I recognize who he is.

However- I live in Memphis, TN... quite a distance from Colorodo.

CamaroZ28.com is having a HUGE board get-together with 1/4, road racing, car shows, and a bunch of stuff in Kansas this upcoming summer. I'll be there... so if 5.0This is going to go, go along with him and I'll see you up there.
Even if he doesn't go I might. Sounds like a lot of fun