4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

White gauges question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:38 PM

White gauges question

Simple questions really... are there any white gauge covers that don't require power supplies or splicing into the existing cluster harness?
Also... since there are no directions online regarding this power supply and the wiring for it, is it a very intrusive installation. I am hesitant to chop up my wiring harness. I want to install a set of white SE gauges in my sons 1997 but I don't want to muck around with the odometer. It appears there is no way to roll the odometer back or forward to match the existing mileage and I can't find anywhere online where somebody removed the existing mechanical odometer and installed it in in a new set of white gauges. This is why I am interested in getting the aftermarket indiglo gauge covers.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:57 PM

im assuming your gauge cluster has a digital odometer, i pretty sure you cant swap the odometers. as for indiglo gauges IMO dont do it, looks tacky, but you would have to splice wires or soder *spell check* the wires to the back of the gauge cluster for power. last time i did indiglos was back in 2001 and dont really remember exactly what i did (and also i did it on a civic). some indiglos do come with instructions and if not i know there should be a write up in here or some where on the web about it...
Old 12-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Got Retrofit?

When I installed my Indiglos the splicing was easy as pie. Spliced into the dimmer switch, just two wires (power and ground). It's as simple as that.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
im assuming your gauge cluster has a digital odometer, i pretty sure you cant swap the odometers. as for indiglo gauges IMO dont do it, looks tacky, but you would have to splice wires or soder *spell check* the wires to the back of the gauge cluster for power. last time i did indiglos was back in 2001 and dont really remember exactly what i did (and also i did it on a civic). some indiglos do come with instructions and if not i know there should be a write up in here or some where on the web about it...
1997 Maxima's have analog odometers.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there are places that that recalibrate odometers and they can recalibrate your odometer too, but they are price. From what I remember, starts at about $150 for their service.

installing indeglo guages is very easy, power wire and ground wire, thats it. You can even use the blue wire taps from auto zone. IIRC, you don't even need to remove the needles.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:48 AM

You could get an OEM white faced gage set from a 95-97 SE model. Dissasemble the clusters, removing the needles, and swap the faces. That would allow you to keep all of your gages and your accurate mileage.

There is a how to on removing the needles on here somewhere. Its not hard I have done it twice on my car and my gages work fine. Over 50k miles since I removed the needles last to install led's behind them.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by jgcable
1997 Maxima's have analog odometers.
in that case the meter should come off and swappable if you get a SE gauge cluster, if not just get a safety pin or nail and move the "miles" to whatever miles the original has. i had a couple of civic's where i had to swap out the gauge cluster and did that to have the accurate miles...
Old 12-26-2009, 12:34 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by pavelsmax
You could get an OEM white faced gage set from a 95-97 SE model. Dissasemble the clusters, removing the needles, and swap the faces. That would allow you to keep all of your gages and your accurate mileage.

There is a how to on removing the needles on here somewhere. Its not hard I have done it twice on my car and my gages work fine. Over 50k miles since I removed the needles last to install led's behind them.
http://forums.maxima.org/6830384-post21.html

Originally Posted by 2AZN2DMAX
Did you break your cluster? Taking the needle off is simple. Like I said earlier when you have the cluster out just remove the needles rests, turn the needle counter clockwise and slighty pull off while your turning it. It will take a few turns but the needles WILL come off. Important note, when youn remove the needle rest needles will drop (from a lack of better words) so when they drop mark where the needle points b/c that is where you will have to spin the needle back on counter clockwise to that point. if you dont mark it then you will have messed up readings. Let me know if you have any questions. Use your original cluster and just change the faces, that's what I did when I wanted SE faces on my 96 GXE. PM me and I will give you my phone number so we can talk.

Oliver