4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Code PO733...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 AM

Code PO733...

Something was going on with the transmission the other day when I took the car into the shop, the car is sluggish and it hesitates to speed up especially when I punch it. The tranny fluid was replaced not even 6k miles ago IIRC. My mechanic checked it out and it got a PO733 which is the gear ratio 3 is incorrect. What could have caused this? And what can I do about it? I got my valve cover gaskets and spark plugs replaced the day before, but I dont think that has anything to do with it. The car is a 96, and it just barely cracked 100k.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 AM

Can anybody help? Please...
Old 01-18-2010, 12:27 PM

=[ im sorry buddy but did you have it Power Purged or Flushed per chance? If so im sorry to say im pretty sure shes in trouble...

Those damned power purge machines stir up so much crap in the system that when they get some of the material out the rest is left floating around and can end up doing a number on your tranny.. For example the extra friction created can esentially tac weld your clutchs together making her almost imosible to shift into gear...

wait til pmohr or someone else who knows more about the tranny chimes in, but i will say if i were you id try a quick pan drop and clean that bish out good, get all the fluid out and try to fill her up new..
Old 01-18-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
=[ im sorry buddy but did you have it Power Purged or Flushed per chance? If so im sorry to say im pretty sure shes in trouble...

Those damned power purge machines stir up so much crap in the system that when they get some of the material out the rest is left floating around and can end up doing a number on your tranny.. For example the extra friction created can esentially tac weld your clutchs together making her almost imosible to shift into gear...

wait til pmohr or someone else who knows more about the tranny chimes in, but i will say if i were you id try a quick pan drop and clean that bish out good, get all the fluid out and try to fill her up new..
I'm not sure, the transmission flush was really something unprecedented. The thing is my transmission oil pan ruptured and I had to get it welded, so my mechanic at the time took it to get it welded, and replaced the fluid, idk what he did with it.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by 96WhiteMaxima
I'm not sure, the transmission flush was really something unprecedented. The thing is my transmission oil pan ruptured and I had to get it welded, so my mechanic at the time took it to get it welded, and replaced the fluid, idk what he did with it.
unless things seriously changed, a new pan is only 20-30 at the dealer.
I had to replace mine several years back on my VE because I slid into the curb between the bay doors at the shop (old gas station).
smashed the pan. Pulled the car into a lift, saw the damage (only the pan thankfully, stock ride height FTW!). Parked the car, ordered new pan and filter kit. Replaced it and all was good. 20 minute job.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
unless things seriously changed, a new pan is only 20-30 at the dealer.
I had to replace mine several years back on my VE because I slid into the curb between the bay doors at the shop (old gas station).
smashed the pan. Pulled the car into a lift, saw the damage (only the pan thankfully, stock ride height FTW!). Parked the car, ordered new pan and filter kit. Replaced it and all was good. 20 minute job.
Yeah things have seriously changed, I remember calling about one and they wanted like 150 bucks for one. Well I checked the tranny fluid and it was almost clear and when I took a look at it, it had some bubbles in it while it was laying on the dipstick. So I put a quart of fluid in it and the transmission isn't acting up too badly now. But I'll have to see tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:01 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by 96WhiteMaxima
Yeah things have seriously changed, I remember calling about one and they wanted like 150 bucks for one. Well I checked the tranny fluid and it was almost clear and when I took a look at it, it had some bubbles in it while it was laying on the dipstick. So I put a quart of fluid in it and the transmission isn't acting up too badly now. But I'll have to see tomorrow.
they tried to rape you
http://www.courtesyparts.com/31390-p...-p-189622.html
Old 06-09-2012, 02:59 PM

my 97 Max is doing it too. CODE p0732 and p0733 are showing up. ANY new info or experience with this problem? thanx
Old 06-09-2012, 11:34 PM

There's a band adjustment for the 3rd gear ratio
Old 06-10-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
There's a band adjustment for the 3rd gear ratio
how?