4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP!!!! - I don't know how to make a thread title but kevlo kept this open

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:27 PM

HELP!!!! - I don't know how to make a thread title but kevlo kept this open

Its all happened when i was on the hwy and stock in traffic, there was a car accident some where, i was staying in drive with my foot on the brake for about 2 hours, did not even moved a inch, over a sadden engine just shots off and all the light came on, had to put car in park, started the car, no problem, then wile i was staying in traffic it happens 2 more times, then when traffic start moving like 5 mph, it happen again, it felt like not enough rpm when the car is at the stop, so i put my ac and heater at the same time and i made it home (drove another 25 miles), should i have to mention that it was snowing like crazy and no one cleaned the streets or hwy, came home parked the car, next day when i was driving nothing happened, then couple of days later, some times when i stop for a red light engine would shots off (auto transmission), all the lights would come out on the dash board, i have to put car in PARK, then start the car and it wood starts like nothing happened, i see that my rpm is at 550-600 (sins the day one, i have my car sins 2000), and lately it would go 500 for about 2 seconds and and it feels like car is about to die, and now its shouts off, like i said, some times, or after a stop when i take my foot of the brake pedal and car would start rolling engine would also shots off, i also realize that when I'm at the stop (in drive, foot on the brake) if i will start playing with my steering wheel slowly going left and right, rpm will also go to 500 for about 1 or 2 seconds and it feels like engine is about shot off. On Monday i went to my friend's shop, cleaned the throttle body, changed the gas filter, and car was running perfect, but i realize that when i come to a complete stop, my rpm would stay at about 900 for about 1 or 2 seconds, then it would go to about 750-700 for about 1-2 second, then it would go to 550-600, don't remember that happening before. An d today when i was driving from work on the hwy, then when i was looking for parking, i stooped for a stop sign, took my foot of the brake, car started to roll, at the same time i turn the steering wheel slowly to the left and the engine shots off, all the lights came on. I had to put car in park, and started the engine without a problem, then i was looking for parking for about another 10 minutes or so, with stop and go traffic and everything was fine, accept that rpm going to 900, then 700, then 600 (i mentioned that yearly).
Old 01-20-2010, 08:32 PM

SPARK PLUGS ARE NEW, I have them for about 3 years and have on them maybe 30-35k
Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 PM

that's most probably a MAF (mas air flow) problem.. altho the MAF sensor (a bad one) kills the car once it exceeds 2.5k rpms that's prolly still it.. try to get a MAF sensor spray, clean it out and see if that problem still persists.

edit: forgot to mention.. if you're gonna clean the maf yourself, make sure you're careful with it. the thing is very fragile

edit 2: lol another thing, instead of putting your car into park everytime, you can pop into neutral instead, car will start fine

edit 3: god damn my head is all over the place..

before you do anything, open up the hood and make sure all sensors are intact, and check if the intake is properly connected. my friend has his intake tube popout the other day on his mustang, crapped his pants coz he just recently got the car. and those mustangs have no mercy, intake is out and the car instantly stalls. won't run for ANYONE till it's connected back up. maximas on the other hand, will get you places with 1 leg =]

Last edited by Hein; 01-20-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 PM

When I read it the first time where your engine "shot off" i almost **** my pants,
you engine Stalled or Shut off.

Sounds to me like you need to make sure your TPS is set correctly and then Adjust your IACV. and then take an English class. paragraphs are your friend, unlike run on sentences.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:16 PM

any codes?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 PM

oh and PLEASE just adjust your TPS and IACV before Touching your MAF, its a delicate and expensive part, your tps and iacv are not, and very easy to set to factory settings.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 PM

i had a similar prob, i always had to kick up the revs or it would die EVEN if i adjusted the idle rpm on the throttle body... The problem ended up being a huge air intake leak, once i sealed it and replaced the ruptured pieces, it went back to its regular setting. Check for any loose vacuum connections and double check your intake assembly for any leaks.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 PM

THANK YOU ALL!

About my English, i m Russian and never went to school here, i learned English on the streets, so i guess i m not doing that bad lol.

About engine? Shuts off or shots off? lol How about this? Engine just dies out lol

1 more question, could it be bad coils?

I have to confess, i have a stillen air intake charger, which i didn't clean for a very long time, its kind of dirty, i don't think it would give me all this trouble because of dirty filter.

I Would BE leaving on vacation on Friday, I'll be back in a week, i will let you all know the status. I will check tomorrow for the leaks and connections, i hope I'll fined some.

Last edited by s600ergy; 01-20-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its possible to be a coil but you will get a code for that, check the maf especially the maf connector.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 PM

[quote=s600ergy;7385194]THANK YOU ALL!

I have to confess, i have a stillen air intake charger, which i didn't clean for a very long time, its kind of dirty, i don't think it would give me all this trouble because of dirty filter.

quote]

FIRST....Clean your filter because you might be choking your engine for air and thats why its stalling......then if that dosen't solve your problem...answer us if you have any codes, or just see if your check engine light is on,that will tell you if something might be wrong......then if it is on (check engine light) go to your mechanic and get the codes pulled...then write them down and let us know the codes
Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 AM

THANK YOU, I'LL DO THAT
Old 01-21-2010, 06:05 AM

[quote=BronxSleeperMax187;7385231]
Originally Posted by s600ergy
THANK YOU ALL!

quote]

FIRST....Clean your filter because you might be choking your engine for air and thats why its stalling......then if that dosen't solve your problem...answer us if you have any codes, or just see if your check engine light is on,that will tell you if something might be wrong......then if it is on (check engine light) go to your mechanic and get the codes pulled...then write them down and let us know the codes
+1

Clean filter, get codes, ask org. In that order

It sounded at first like either a IACV or MAF issue. But if the filter is really dirty...then def clean that and KEEP IT CLEAN. U might have fouled up the MAF and IACV by not cleaning it and NOW u might have to clean MAF and IACV. Try the cleanin and let us kno how it goes.

Use MAF cleaner and nothing else for the MAF. Carburator cleaner for everything else.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by s600ergy
THANK YOU, I'LL DO THAT

ANd for future reference, please be more descriptive when u title a thread, it helps to let us know whats goin on. Also, list the year, transmission, and mileage on yur car when u state yur problem. That helps as well and goes for all Noobies .

Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You're having an idle speed control issue. The device that controls the idle speed is the IACV. Start by cleaning it, if you still have idle control issues, replace it.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 PM

had problem similar my car shut off on the streets but was cuz of alternator..sorry if that dont help
Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey name stephen check your seners near your air intake , starters, altunator you know what I mean, and intake good luck.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by JtzMax

Hay guyzz awesome convo.

A. JtZ is right, but way to *** by NOT contributing to the thread @ all.
B. Bamfy, god gave us the PM for a reason, USE IT!

Back to the matter at hand.

Sounds like to me (I only read it once so excuse me), that every time you put a little strain on the engine at idle (turning it at a stop), which would cause the idle to go down a bit the car will stall out (Shot off, better known as shutting off).

I would definitely check the IACV if my assessment is correct, if it's a bit dirty when the engine is begging for more air to stay alive and it isn't getting it, it would stall out.

But don't forget to check your battery and alternator too, if either of those are on their way out/bad that would cause an engine to die/stall/shut/shot off in those situations.

Last edited by Kevlo911; 02-01-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM

Enough; stop acting like children. Lets help the OP'er and get on with this thread...

MAF > IACV > Coil's > Plugs > TPS > ECU in that order.