4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

13yr old grown man hurting

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:01 AM

13yr old grown man hurting

My Maxima is 13yrs old and has some minor issues that need some some tweeking. I have replaced a great deal of my suspension except for bushings. When taking off slowly or quickly I hear and feel a noticable clunk. When I stop on a hill and my car roles back I hear the clunk. Sometimes over bumps I hard the wheel well rattle (perhaps my brake hardware needs replacing).

I lowered my car with KSports and KYB struts, not AGX. The front driver side tire always looks lower than the front passenger side tire, despite both being equal in PSI. My car pulls ridiculously to the left side when I let go of the steering wheel. I have had a wheel alignment. Also I notice the front passenger side sway bar bushing is deteriorating. Please provide any insight, please.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are you sure the springs are seated correctly in their perches? Sounds like you have one rotated in the wrong spot which would raise the ride height a bit. See how there's a divit in the perch for the lowest part of the spring. Make sure yours looks like this one..
Old 02-04-2010, 04:44 AM
Sold

front passenger sway bar bushing is an easy fix. Order some Energy suspension parts from Cattman in the vendor section.

is your car an automatic.... manual? had to give a diagnosis without more info.

How many miles on your car? which wheel is rattling? are you positive it's the "wheel well"? Start by eliminating the obvious. Check the cv axle, the wheel bearing, ball joints etc. Something is probably loose in there and needs replacing or adjusting.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by JSMax
front passenger sway bar bushing is an easy fix. Order some Energy suspension parts from Cattman in the vendor section.

is your car an automatic.... manual? had to give a diagnosis without more info.

How many miles on your car? which wheel is rattling? are you positive it's the "wheel well"? Start by eliminating the obvious. Check the cv axle, the wheel bearing, ball joints etc. Something is probably loose in there and needs replacing or adjusting.
I have a manual, the CVs are new, the ball joints too, tie rod ends and inner tie rods are all new. The sway bar end links are new, but the bushings look funny how their sitting, kind of pinched uneven looking. The wheel bearings never been changed. Both sides rattle and now if the car is sitting still and I turned the wheel I can hear the left side making a squeeky and somtimes, squeaky grinding noise. When I push down on the car I dont hear a squeek, but sometimes over bumps it squeeks and I have new struts but need new tires, they're feathered. Oh yeah I have like 230,000 miles on the car. Besides the minor kinks it runs like a champ!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:12 PM

and i bet thats a comfortable ride too!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
and i bet thats a comfortable ride too!
it will soon enough when I get my $6,500 tax return
Old 02-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Sold

My bet lays with the toasted sway bar mounts. Grease the new ones liberally and install. good to go. Might as well do the end links cause they are probably rubber and on their last legs too.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 AM

I'm betting they're sway bar bushings. I had the same sound that drove me nuts for three years. I thought it was struts or shock related almost changed everything out because of it. I don't know the exact part name or part number but they're about 3 inches long and connect onto the front sway bar on the left and right size. Look under your car and you will spot them. They have rubbing bushings that wear out. When the suspension moves back and forth or up and down the sway bar touch the bare metal which has been exposed.

I would describe it as a crunk, crunk sound.

Last edited by madd_maxx; 02-08-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 PM

ok, so I finally got all brand new falken tires, new sway bar bushings, new LCA and the car is 100 times better, no more clunk and its a lot smoother, only one issue, when I drive I hear a repeatitive rubbing news, when I'm slightly turning on the highway while speading I hear a rubbing/vibration news, do anyone have suggestions? I think it may be the wheel bearings.