4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Polyurethane Bushings vs. OEM Bushings
Polyurethane Bushings
75.00%
OEM Bushings
25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Polyurethane Busings or OEM Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:58 PM

Polyurethane Bushings or OEM Bushings?

Since installing 18" g35 coupe wheels on my car last summer, my whole front end bushings have all gone bad.

I've been searching and reading a lot about polyurethane bushings, but they are just mixed reviews.

My car is a 96 automatic. I will be getting BC Racing Coilovers soon and want to replace my front end bushings while i install the suspension to get everything over with.

Please, only reply if you've had any experience with polyurethane bushings, especially the ones with automatics. Thanks.

Last edited by C-ko; 02-23-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Offset Is Everything.

if you just want to daily drive and dont care, OEM. i ended up going with ES black LCA bushings and ES black swaybar endlink bushings since mine were shot and i wanted to tighten up the front end a bit. good luck pressing out the OE bushings and pressing in the new ones... i took it to a shop to press to avoid the headaches.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 PM

I went with ES control arm bushings, ES sway bar bushings, Moog stabilizer end links and Moog ball joints. Basically changed all the little components.
And +1, pressing the OE bushings were a PITA...We just lit it on fire lol.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by nismomaxgtr18
I went with ES control arm bushings, ES sway bar bushings, Moog stabilizer end links and Moog ball joints. Basically changed all the little components.

I got a newbie suspension question....Did u replace bushings cuz of the drop? If so , how far did u drop?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
I got a newbie suspension question....Did u replace bushings cuz of the drop? If so , how far did u drop?
Please, let's stay on topic. U could always pm anyone u want.

Let's keep this topic as is. Thank You.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 PM

oem becuz u will hate poly. way way too much vibration.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by S1cTech
I have to agree. I do have some vibration.
And cashoit, I replaced them because they were shot and made thumping sounds.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by S1cTech
I have to agree. I do have some vibration.
And cashoit, I replaced them because they were shot and made thumping sounds.
That's what I've read in many threads, that theres a lot of vibration with poly bushings.

Besides weight reduction, better and stiffer handling, is it really worth using poly bushings?

I'm looking for a comfortable ride. My car is mainly for looks and comfortable ride.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Saw these on Ebay:

comments??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Energ...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-23-2010, 11:50 AM

i agree, you will def feel vibrations more. i burned em out ftw, **** a press! i never had any real reasons to dislike them tho.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM

I actually just replaced my sway bar endlinks, including the bushings, and the sway bar bushings with the ES black polys, and i haven't noticed any more vibration (but i'm sure you guys meant vibration with the LCA ES bushings.)
My OEM bushings were shot, so i can feel the improvement greatly. I'd recommend them, just you're gonna want to get some grease from ES or any other kind made for poly.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by C-ko
That's what I've read in many threads, that theres a lot of vibration with poly bushings.

Besides weight reduction, better and stiffer handling, is it really worth using poly bushings?

I'm looking for a comfortable ride. My car is mainly for looks and comfortable ride.
Weight reduction? lol Hardly. And you won't see any diff in Polys over OEM in terms of shifting for brand new OEMs anyway. Shifting def is better in new ones. but between OEM new and Poly new ur not gonna notice a difference unless you did all you bushings and suspension. Also get used to the car lifting more on launches. Thats one of the great things of polys. It does it enuff with new OEMS as it is. lol
Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Reece616
I actually just replaced my sway bar endlinks, including the bushings, and the sway bar bushings with the ES black polys, and i haven't noticed any more vibration (but i'm sure you guys meant vibration with the LCA ES bushings.)
My OEM bushings were shot, so i can feel the improvement greatly. I'd recommend them, just you're gonna want to get some grease from ES or any other kind made for poly.
So only poly bushings on LCA will cause vibrations? Should I just replace with all poly bushings except the LCA, which I would replace with new OEM?

My target is better handling and suppot for my 18" g35 coupe wheels.

(NO VIBRATIONS)
Old 02-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Sold

here's what I think. After having the es poly bushing installed for over 2 years now.
What I did was:
1) lower sway bar, end links. Noticed no more vibration, but steering seemed to feel a slight improvement.
2) Motor mounts. Noticed immediate vibration coming from the grill. Turned up the idle to around 900 and it's all good. There is a slight vibration sometimes I can feel in the drivers seat, just when the rpm's drop to lower than 600.
I am lowered on h&r springs and KYB AGX struts. Tokico shocks in the rear. I didn't like the harsh ride of the KYB's in the rear so I swapped them out. Tokico are much better imho.

As a side note, I should state that I have the es control arm bushing set sitting on my work bench. Bought them aover 3 years ago THEN I did the research on how much work is involved to install them. One day I will do it, just not anytime soon.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM

Guinea pig?
+1
Old 02-24-2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by cartman854
Guinea pig?
+1

haha u caught that eh.

Im following the thread cuz suspension upgrades on our cars are good cuz of V6 FWD.

For the most part, Poly is a strong material. Im jus wondering what the OEMs are made of? But anytime u go aftermarket there is goin to be a difference from OEMs.

Im with the OP on this one, what are the advantages other than cost? If the vibratations are only at idle, and not super pronounced, i think i cd live with the poly especially if they add superior handling on high speed turning.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM

I did the exact same thing, Moog and ES. The bushings aren't bad to get out, clamp the control arm into a vice, torch the old rubber out, and just hammer out the sleeve. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes/side. Depending on how rusted your car is, the bolts that hold on the LCA are more of a pain. I broke 2 sockets, and a breaker bar. Borrow an impact gun with 500+ lb/ft of torque if you can.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 PM

Thanks for everyones contribution to this thread. My car is in the shop right now bcuz they samshed my passenger window in an attempted robbery.

After it comes out of the shop I'm planning on installing a Viper alarm n Gorilla locks for the g35 wheels.

After all that is out of the way, my suspension is next. I'm not quite sure yet if I'm gona go with ES poly bushings. I just don't like the fact that it will cause the car to vibrate. Like I said, I want a car that handles better in sharp turns and that would support my 18" wheels.

Last edited by C-ko; 02-25-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 AM

Thanks for everyones contribution to this thread. My car is in the shop right now bcuz they samshed my passenger window in an attempted robbery.

After it comes out of the shop I'm planning on installing a Viper alarm n Gorilla locks for the g35 wheels.

After all that is out of the way, my suspension is next. I'm not quite sure yet if I'm gona go with ES poly bushings. I just don't like the fact that it wiill causes the car to vibrate. Like I said, I want a car that handles better in sharp turns and that would support my 18" wheels.

wow man...sorry to hear bout that.

Someone broke into my old 1993 max se and took my radio any like a billion cds. Broke the passenger vent window. Was pissed . Stoopid crackhead sh*t I suppose.

Good luck man, i know its frustrating
Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 PM

After all that is out of the way, my suspension is next. I'm not quite sure yet if I'm gona go with ES poly bushings. I just don't like the fact that it wiill causes the car to vibrate. Like I said, I want a car that handles better in sharp turns and that would support my 18" wheels.
That sucks about your car window. Some bums broke my passenger window with a wine bottle (left it right next to the door), while I was in church the weekend before finals. They took my leather owner's pamphlet thing and that's it. I guess that's the advantage to having a messy car lol. Found a window for $35 and put it in myself, so not too bad. I am also interested in the development of this thread. I have considered changing my motor mounts and am curious what the best replacement would be.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:40 PM

wow man...sorry to hear bout that.

Someone broke into my old 1993 max se and took my radio any like a billion cds. Broke the passenger vent window. Was pissed . Stoopid crackhead sh*t I suppose.

Good luck man, i know its frustrating
Thanks buddy. It's not a very good feeling to see ur precious abused in that manner. Whatever though, those bums can go fxck themselves with they things they stole...that'll bring them total satisfaction lol.

Originally Posted by adamsanders
That sucks about your car window. Some bums broke my passenger window with a wine bottle (left it right next to the door), while I was in church the weekend before finals. They took my leather owner's pamphlet thing and that's it. I guess that's the advantage to having a messy car lol. Found a window for $35 and put it in myself, so not too bad. I am also interested in the development of this thread. I have considered changing my motor mounts and am curious what the best replacement would be.
Hey!!! The bums that broke into my car also took my leather owners manual case. Was ur registration in the manual bcuz mine was?...it's better for me bcuz if they decide to finish the job at my house...I'll go straight for their getaway car and smash all their windows wit a metal bat.

Anyways...It would be helpful to hear from the veterans about their experience with these poly buhsings...anything would be great.

Last edited by C-ko; 02-28-2010 at 09:10 PM.