4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Auto To 5 Spd Coversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 03:51 PM

Auto To 5 Spd Coversion

OK MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME WITH SOME INFO.

I GOT A 99 MAX SE-L AUTO. MY TRANNY IS GOING OUT AND I WANT TO DO A
5 SPD CONVERSION. WHAT I WANT TO FIND OUT IS THE SUCESS RATE OF THIS CONVERSION. THE ESTIMATED COST OF THE CONVERSION. I HATE THE AUTO IT SHIFT SLOW AND SLUGGESH AND IT IS NO FUN PLUS I WILL KEEP BLOWING AUTO TRANNYS. SOMEONE HELP ME. I AM IN SO. CAL SO IF ANYONE HAS DONE THE CONVERSION OUT HERE PLEASE REFER ME TO A GOOD SHOP THAT DOES GOOD WORK.

THANK YOU
Old 12-07-2001, 04:09 PM

You can do this yourself for somewhat cheap price, instructions can be found here: vqpower.com, under how 2's, 4th gen....

All of this one done by Harold aka hlh0501 also CBR2(sorry forgot your sn)
Old 12-07-2001, 06:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can also read the 4th gen faqs thread up top.
Old 12-07-2001, 06:50 PM

Just total your auto and get a 5spd!!! Worked for me
Old 12-07-2001, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Victim64
Just total your auto and get a 5spd!!! Worked for me

hahhahahahah!!!!!!!!!!
im buried i will have to fork money out. its a 99.5 se limited still got patments. i work for a dealer hehe. just not feesable.
i toght about that.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by jdmmax

hahhahahahah!!!!!!!!!!
im buried i will have to fork money out. its a 99.5 se limited still got patments. i work for a dealer hehe. just not feesable.
i toght about that.
Well, good luck to you. I think you should just get the VB mod instead of putting all the down time and money into the conversion though... but I sure know how it feels to have a 5spd Maxima, so more power to you
Old 12-07-2001, 08:40 PM

Give your car to your sibling, who's gettin the liscense.

I realized my sis is turnin 17 in a few months. WOOOOOOHOOOOO! Mom and Dad said they would buy my car, and give it to her, and get me a 5 speed. The General Manager at my local dealership is family, and he's got his eyes open for me. 95 se 5 speed or 99 se 5 speed here I come!

Only draw back to the 99 is my sis gets to keep some mods, but thats how I talked her into goin for the deal, told her she could keep the 18's.......Maybe.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Victim64

Well, good luck to you. I think you should just get the VB mod instead of putting all the down time and money into the conversion though... but I sure know how it feels to have a 5spd Maxima, so more power to you
thanks wish me luck
Old 12-07-2001, 09:35 PM

Re: Give your car to your sibling, who's gettin the liscense.

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
I realized my sis is turnin 17 in a few months. WOOOOOOHOOOOO! Mom and Dad said they would buy my car, and give it to her, and get me a 5 speed. The General Manager at my local dealership is family, and he's got his eyes open for me. 95 se 5 speed or 99 se 5 speed here I come!

Only draw back to the 99 is my sis gets to keep some mods, but thats how I talked her into goin for the deal, told her she could keep the 18's.......Maybe.

AHahahahhahahhahahaha

lucky guy!!!!!
Old 12-07-2001, 10:01 PM

Another option you could try is to get a Level Ten tranny. That's what I'm planning to do. It cost about $750 or so. You should get the VB first. I don't plan to get the torque converter yet though. Doing an auto to 5spd conversion isn't easy. Not many shop are willing to do the swap for you(shops around me anyway), try doing yourself is possible if you are very mechanically incline.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Another option you could try is to get a Level Ten tranny. That's what I'm planning to do. It cost about $750 or so. You should get the VB first. I don't plan to get the torque converter yet though. Doing an auto to 5spd conversion isn't easy. Not many shop are willing to do the swap for you(shops around me anyway), try doing yourself is possible if you are very mechanically incline.
level ten has a tranny????? i thoght that was just the Tq converter.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by jdmmax

level ten has a tranny????? i thoght that was just the Tq converter.

It's a rebuilt kit, strengthen the internals of the auto tranny. Level Ten has more then just torque converters. Check it out at their site: www.levelten.com
Old 12-08-2001, 05:06 AM

I just had a crazy idea, maybe it's the 2 hours sleep and 8am time messing with me.

How hard is it to swap an auto back to a 5 speed?

I can get used stuff pretty easily, and I'm all for converting to a 5 speed, but if it total's the resale value on my car, I'm not willing to do it. But I could always keep the auto tranny and swap it back in. Any hints/tips/DON'T DO IT's? heh.
Old 12-08-2001, 07:02 AM
MaximaRversion2

Does that level ten tranny mod work on autos and 5 speeds ?

Old 12-08-2001, 07:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaximaRversion2
Does that level ten tranny mod work on autos and 5 speeds ?
its for autos. your basically changing all the internals of the tranny to make it 'bulletproof'. thats just one part of what they offer, in addition you can get a high stall torque convertor, vb mod and a tranny cooler to complete a nice strong tranny. plus if you decide to go the nos way or boost, you are for sure going to need a tranny that strong

ereet : read the faq, they have a lot of info on tranny swaps there. not something you would want to try out if you are not a diy guy.
Old 12-08-2001, 07:33 AM
MaximaRversion2

Originally posted by mechanic

its for autos. your basically changing all the internals of the tranny to make it 'bulletproof'. thats just one part of what they offer, in addition you can get a high stall torque convertor, vb mod and a tranny cooler to complete a nice strong tranny. plus if you decide to go the nos way or boost, you are for sure going to need a tranny that strong
i do plan on nos , and boost ... someday

Old 12-08-2001, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by ereet
I just had a crazy idea, maybe it's the 2 hours sleep and 8am time messing with me.

How hard is it to swap an auto back to a 5 speed?

I can get used stuff pretty easily, and I'm all for converting to a 5 speed, but if it total's the resale value on my car, I'm not willing to do it. But I could always keep the auto tranny and swap it back in. Any hints/tips/DON'T DO IT's? heh.
We did no cutting.. We just tapped into the wires.... So.. Yes it could be changed back at any time... We did not even remove the shift cable.. just wound it up in the consul and in the engine bay.
Old 12-08-2001, 08:56 AM
MaximaRversion2

has anyone tried the Cattman ecu/tranny upgrade ? sounds pretty neat.

Old 12-08-2001, 09:10 AM

Its just an ECU upgrade...

Originally posted by MaximaRversion2
has anyone tried the Cattman ecu/tranny upgrade ? sounds pretty neat.
Its not a transmission upgrade. It is the Jim Wolf Tech ECU.
-Cyrus
Old 12-08-2001, 09:14 AM

stop talking

grr....just do it!!! set ur mind to it..it ain't hard..takes time that's all!!! i have never seen a damn tranny in my life and just by reading harold's instruction, and huge help from friends
Old 12-08-2001, 09:18 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: stop talking

http://www.stormpages.com/autoto5spd/
Old 12-08-2001, 09:35 AM
MaximaRversion2

Re: Its just an ECU upgrade...

Originally posted by Vyrus

-Cyrus
Right, but it is geared for "performance shift points", so its kinda a tranny upgrade right ? hehee

Old 12-08-2001, 10:13 AM

Re: Its just an ECU upgrade...

Originally posted by Vyrus

-Cyrus

Actually there are two JWT ecu upgrades. One is the main ecu upgrade, the other one is the tranny ecu upgrade. The tranny ecu upgrade has 3 mode you can switch back and forth: normal, sport, and traction. I would advise you all NOT to get the tranny ecu upgrade. I bought it used from someone, and it didn't do a damn thing. A total waste of money. Get the regular ecu upgrade, stay away from the tranny ecu.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:23 PM
Ginuwin3112

Just wondering..What is the VB mod and what does it do? Where does it go?

Old 01-03-2002, 04:20 AM
MaximaRversion2

Originally posted by Ginuwin3112
Just wondering..What is the VB mod and what does it do? Where does it go?
it replaces a spring in the stock auto tranny with a stiffer rate spring , causeing the maxima to shift harder and faster, like a 5 speed basically, just automatic and it only has 4 gears. Its actually supposed to be better for your tranny.

Old 01-03-2002, 04:11 PM

Re: Re: stop talking

Read up at my site below... I was in the same boat, didnt even know where a transmission was under my hood till I went to Jacksonville, FL and chaz (cbr2) and I worked the thing in there in a few days... that is a 12 hour drive away, and I had just turned 17... a risky thing haha, but it was planned for months on end.. it was not very hard, and like chaz already said, everything is left perfect under the hood and inside the car for automatic.. didnt even cut a wire, just tapped into them.. the shift cable is wound up, etc... it would be a saturday project for me to put my car as an automatic.

reliability has been a charm, over 6months now, and i have driven it a LOT and driven it hard plenty of times... holds up like a champ hahah.. I love it, it was soooo worth it in my opinion, even though it was suuuch a pain trying to do some of the crap since we werent 100% on what to do (since we didnt have the instructions provided now)..

best of luck, GO FOR IT!!! it'll rock your cars world haha.. enjoy

Originally posted by NickStam
http://www.stormpages.com/autoto5spd/
Old 01-03-2002, 04:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: stop talking

Originally posted by hlh0501
Read up at my site below... I was in the same boat, didnt even know where a transmission was under my hood till I went to Jacksonville, FL and chaz (cbr2) and I worked the thing in there in a few days... that is a 12 hour drive away, and I had just turned 17... a risky thing haha, but it was planned for months on end.. it was not very hard, and like chaz already said, everything is left perfect under the hood and inside the car for automatic.. didnt even cut a wire, just tapped into them.. the shift cable is wound up, etc... it would be a saturday project for me to put my car as an automatic.

reliability has been a charm, over 6months now, and i have driven it a LOT and driven it hard plenty of times... holds up like a champ hahah.. I love it, it was soooo worth it in my opinion, even though it was suuuch a pain trying to do some of the crap since we werent 100% on what to do (since we didnt have the instructions provided now)..

best of luck, GO FOR IT!!! it'll rock your cars world haha.. enjoy

saving money!!!!!!!!
holidays left me crazy broke.