4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

blue turn signals and sidemarkers illegal??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:06 PM

blue turn signals and sidemarkers illegal??

Well i just bought some blue led bulbs on ebay for my front turn signals but is it illegal to have blue turn signals and sidemarkers? I dont want the cops pulling me over and giving me a ticket for something dumb luike that. I see a lot of u guys with them though.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ivorton23
Well i just bought some blue led bulbs on ebay for my front turn signals but is it illegal to have blue turn signals and sidemarkers? I dont want the cops pulling me over and giving me a ticket for something dumb luike that. I see a lot of u guys with them though.
Why did you buy them w/o knowing the potential legality?

Also what state are you in? Just because it's illegal in TX doesn't it's illegal in whatever state you're in.

And finally.... It doesn't even matter what's legal and what's illegal, you see the front of my car? That's illegal, I don't have any foward facing amber reflectors on the front of my car which is like a federal law or sumfin. What REALLY matters is how gay/bored/useless your local PD is. I live in a Suburb of Houston and the local pd here are very gay/bored/useless compared to HPD.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:17 PM

It might help us to know what state your in, but regardless for the most part if your not a cop or in a police vehicle. It is illegal especially if you have blue blinkers.

dont make a rice burner and stick to amber or white lights
Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by hornepirate
It might help us to know what state your in, but regardless for the most part if your not a cop or in a police vehicle. It is illegal especially if you have blue blinkers.

dont make a rice burner and stick to amber or white lights
Is that a feddy law? I know for sure in TX it's illegal to have blue or red foward facing lights, but I wasn't sure about it being a feddy law...
Old 03-11-2010, 03:06 PM

hey can you please show me a link of the items you got?
i want to buy some and no its not illegal, i see people having them and going past cops and the cop wouldnt even care
Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by scmaxima
i want to buy some and no its not illegal, i see people having them and going past cops and the cop wouldnt even care
LOL. Make sure you tell that to the cop when you get pulled over.

I'm almost positive having forward facing blue or red lights is illegal in any state. Those colors are reserved for emergency vehicles.

Read this to find out.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:29 PM

my maxi is a life saver so id consider her an emergency vehicle 8)
but no really... its just turn signals and sidemarkers.. you can get them in bright white too im just looking for it
Old 03-11-2010, 03:38 PM

i live in rural South Dakota. When I lived in Brooklyn my homeboy used to have a 96 gxe and all his lights in front were blue and he never got pulled over for it. But that's in NY..other states might not be stricter about that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-2...item5882703c74

Last edited by ivorton23; 03-11-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 PM

blue/white turn signal=ricer much?

I did get a ticket for having blue/white turn signal. The cop told me it is illegal cause only cop or federal vehicles are allow to have those colors, so they can be distinguished from other vehicles. IMO, I think he was having a bad day.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 PM

It's illegal in all 50 states to have Blue or Red on the exterior of any car unless it's an emergency vehicle. Specially on the front of the vehicle.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM

YES. /thread.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 PM

when i was getting the paper work to get my headlights legalized i asked the guy at the place if red foglights were out of the question, there illegal in ohio apparently also.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 PM
The Golden One

I used to have this light setup (although my blinkers were orange). Never got bothered by the cops.

I'm from Albany, NY.

I had "HID White" LED Bulbs from V-Leds.

Honestly...compared to what I have now...that looks SO GAY.

Last edited by IlyaK; 03-11-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:58 PM

your retrofit makes me touch myself. just figure id let you know,
i really dont think youll be bothered with blue lights, theres enough ricers to know that cops wont pull them over for that.
just look at availability, blue is EVERYWHERE.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 PM

IlyaK: What in the world is all that white stuff you are trying to drive your Maxima through?? MY LORD! Having never driven outside of the Southeast, that stuff looks nuts! We have water drainage problems here in Tampa, so I've seen water that deep and steer clear. But back to the thread...

Florida statutes regarding turn and stop signals:

darklegend06- White in Florida is legal:

Any vehicle may be equipped and, when required under s. 316.222(2), shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle or on a combination of vehicles on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made. The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit white or amber light. The lamps showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signaling, shall emit a red or amber light.

RAZ76: I believe RED in the rear of the car indicates braking??
Old 03-11-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by max96imaaaa
RAZ76: I believe RED in the rear of the car indicates braking??
Well duh, isn't that obvious?? If its factory, then it's legal. Red indicates stop on the rear of the vehicle, not the front. That was my point captain obvious. Blue is illegal period, unless you have those factory HIDs that look blue.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:27 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by HandsonMaxima.
your retrofit makes me touch myself. just figure id let you know,
i really dont think youll be bothered with blue lights, theres enough ricers to know that cops wont pull them over for that.
just look at availability, blue is EVERYWHERE.
Or Blue HID's (the really blue ones). I don't think you'll be bothered too much unless the cop wants to be an ***.

Originally Posted by max96imaaaa
IlyaK: What in the world is all that white stuff you are trying to drive your Maxima through?? MY LORD! Having never driven outside of the Southeast, that stuff looks nuts! We have water drainage problems here in Tampa, so I've seen water that deep and steer clear. But back to the thread...
That is your typical 'noreastener'. Back then I had all-season tires. Now I'm running winters and that much snow is no problem. Maximas are actually quite good in the snow in my opinion.

I love Tampa. I was just there in November. Been there twice.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 PM

The front of the car can display white (headlights, foglights, and parking lamps), yellow (foglights), and amber (turn signals and sidemarkers)
the rear of the car can display white (only for reverse), amber (only for turn signals), and red (brakes and sometimes turns)

In addition, the back of the car is required to have a rear-facing red retroreflector (it's built into the lens of the outer brake lamps) and a side-facing red retroreflector (those are at the very outer edges of the tails)
The front is required to have side-facing amber retroreflectors (the smaller bumper lights)

Legally, just about the only modifications you can do is put clear bulbs in the corner lamps outboard of the headlights, replace the larger bumper lights with clear-lens amber-bulb ones (smaller ones are required to keep amber lens), and put yellow bulbs in the foglights.

Now, the reason there's some play in this is because "white" can be a broad definition. Clear bulbs are considered "white". However, light blue tinted bulbs (Silverstars and similar) are also "white". Dark blue tinted bulbs are not legal, though. And neither is having green bulbs, or having red bulbs in the front.

However, there is some decent amount of flexibility. I've never read a post by someone who had clear bumper lights with amber bulbs and got in trouble with it. Or who had red/clear tails (with amber bulbs in the turn signals) and got in trouble for it. I don't have any amber lenses or amber reflectors anywhere on my car, and never got pulled over for it.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
Now, the reason there's some play in this is because "white" can be a broad definition. Clear bulbs are considered "white". However, light blue tinted bulbs (Silverstars and similar) are also "white". Dark blue tinted bulbs are not legal, though. And neither is having green bulbs, or having red bulbs in the front.

thats why i carry my stock D2S bulbs in the trunk...

id like to see a guy that has red bulbs, you wont know if hes coming or going!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:28 AM

That's hilarious.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:46 AM

Each state is different so u have to check your local RMV.

Im not sure about turn signal colors.

I recently bought aftermarket fogs, but before i purchased i checked the laws cuz MASS can be really strict when it comes to aftermarket stuff. In MA, it doesnt matter what u get as long as the lights arent above the Headlight level AND they work independently of the high beams.

ANd correct me if im wrong but if u have stock yellow turn signals and a blue light...wouldnt that make green
Old 03-12-2010, 06:21 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by nalc
However, there is some decent amount of flexibility. I've never read a post by someone who had clear bumper lights with amber bulbs and got in trouble with it. Or who had red/clear tails (with amber bulbs in the turn signals) and got in trouble for it. I don't have any amber lenses or amber reflectors anywhere on my car, and never got pulled over for it.
Well the reflectors are required just so your car can be seen on the side of the road. Doesn't matter what color they are I think.

The issue as long as they light up red, amber, and white (depending on what the light is).

Stay with HID White OP and you'll be okay. My camera made them look bluer than they were, but they did have a hint of blue. WTF would you want real blue? That looks dumb.

(someone had to say it)
Old 03-12-2010, 12:03 PM

just think to yourself...can i pass at an inspection station with this? no. as the same w people that tint their head/tail/misc blinker etc lights on their car.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:32 PM

Right now I got amber bulbs in the markers and turnsignals. I have some ambers bulbs for the corners but have a hard time getting my corner lamps off. Plus i got a pair of blue marker bulbs just sitting there...i could put them in but amber signals and blue marker would look kinda weird. that's why i decided to get the blue TS bulbs. They dont do inspection here in SD so I aint gotta worry about that...just cops. Im tryna dish up some cash to get a pair of r34 headlights too. @Ilyak..your car looks cool man.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:14 PM

I live in Michigan and I've gotten pulled over numerous times by local police for blue and at one point purple sidemarkers. The purple was actually a test to see if they would pull me over...they did.

I got pulled over once by a county for blue tinted fog lights also.

First time i got pulled over i got a warning and got let go. Second time, fix it ticket. Third time, 80 dollar ticket. I fought it and won though.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM

Whats a fix it ticket ? Does it go away when you fix the problem or do you still have to pay it ??
Old 03-12-2010, 03:01 PM

This is how my lights are now....I also have blue hid headlights bulbs...can't see the blue in the daytime though.

Last edited by ivorton23; 03-12-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:33 PM

yea i bought bright white for the sidemarkers/corners/ turn signals..
now when they come by mail, my 6k HIDS would look so much better
Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by defiance
Whats a fix it ticket ? Does it go away when you fix the problem or do you still have to pay it ??
thread jacker... you may still have to pay a court fee of around $35 depending where in nj you are as in your location.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:04 PM

haha well I never got one so I didnt know ^^
Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 PM

This is how my lights are now....I also have blue hid headlights bulbs...can't see the blue in the daytime though.

Looks good Ivorton !! Now all you need to do is install some 97-99 headlights for a clearer look !

Last edited by defiance; 03-12-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 PM

Looks good Ivorton !! Now all you need to do is install some 97-99 headlights for a clearer look !
and buy some HID's =X
Old 03-13-2010, 10:35 AM

yeah and some crystal clear corners to finish it off....as soon as I get some more cash. I want to change my fogs to hid too.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 PM

Fix it Ticket, Repair and Report, all the same.

Basically you're given a ticket with a time limit of around..say..15 days I think around here, to fix your issue. Broken headlight, taillight, illegal light, stuff like that. You fix it, report to an officer and have him or her sign it, and take it to the court.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:18 PM

i have had the cleared parking lights, above the turn signal, in my 02...changed out with blue LED bulbs for about a year and a half now....never had a problem.....
Old 03-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thats why i carry my stock D2S bulbs in the trunk...

Red doesn't really photograph well...

Old 03-13-2010, 12:41 PM

oh btw iverton
you can buy a full HID kit for like 39-40 bucks... ive had mine for a good 9 month and no problems whatsoever!
loving it more everyday lol
Old 03-13-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by scmaxima
oh btw iverton
you can buy a full HID kit for like 39-40 bucks... ive had mine for a good 9 month and no problems whatsoever!
loving it more everyday lol
Please elaborate on the 40 dollar HID kits
Old 03-13-2010, 01:14 PM

the person that had my 4th gen before me must've been in love with blu.
becuase the dome and door lights are blue.
the reverse lights are blue, and the corner lights are blue also.

and to think he was the 1st owner.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:16 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-98...item53e001b150

i can get you better ones if i look more, but thats what i mean..
and my 6k is really better than most other cars with HIDs

Quick Reply: blue turn signals and sidemarkers illegal??