4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Doing the 2001 AE edition cluster swap in a 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Black Lion

Ok, heres an update

1 Seat belt indicator not working - Bad bulb (duh) changed it and it works now.

2 Cruise control- I tapped into wire number 3 on the 4th gen cruise control switch and now the ON light on the switch is on all the time.

In addition, the cruise control indicator in the cluster Illuminates when I push the cruise control switch to the off position. I have to hold it in that position in order for the cruise control indicator in the cluster to stay on illuminated I must have something backwards there.

As for getting the cruise control to work, I tapped wire 13 on the 2001 cluster which on the 2001 maxima sends a VSP signal to the ASCD module for it to work. So I tapped wire 13 which is VSP on the 2001 cluster into wire 14 on the 97 cluster which is for VSS. I previously had wire 13 for the 2001 cluster disconnected, for it is not needed to get the speedometer to work. This may also correct the bogus reading Im getting on my navigation system which at 30 MPH the navi said I was going 100 + MPH

I'll test drive it later to see if it works and post back. If the cruise control or the my navi still does not work at that point, Im all out of ideas on how to get it to work with the 2001 cluster.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate

2 Cruise control- I tapped into wire number 3 on the 4th gen cruise control switch and now the ON light on the switch is on all the time.

Could this be due to the fact that the 5th CC is always on??
Old 05-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Could this be due to the fact that the 5th CC is always on??
yes
Old 05-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Black Lion

Well that was it, Cruise control works, and yes it is active all the time. There is a slight problem though, when Im using the steering wheel control to accelerate I feel the gas pedal press in a slight bit and then it releases, thats about it. Even if I keep my finger on the accelerate button the vehicle will not continue to gain speed. So the cruise control partially functions. Im going to keep this cluster in for a while and continue to observe it because I didn't take it on the highway. However, I did notice the steering control would not make the car continue to accelerate like it should normally.

The problem with the speed sensor and my navi has improved but did not go away. The navigation speed pulse is now about 32 mph to fast compared to the actual speed Im going. Im out of answers on how to fix this issue as well as the cruise control.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:22 PM

could you hook the Navi speed sensor up directly to the vehicle speed sensor (before it goes to the cluster)
Old 05-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
could you hook the Navi speed sensor up directly to the vehicle speed sensor (before it goes to the cluster)
No way to really do that, the VSS has to go to the cluster so there is no way to isolate it. Right now the Navi's VSP is getting the signal from the ECU. Its still the same signal either way. I think it works funny because the way the VSS is wired and feeds the 2001 cluster, its wired differently on the 97 cluster. Take a look at the FSM for free on NYCmaximas for free if you are interested and see for yourself.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:51 PM

No way to really do that, the VSS has to go to the cluster so there is no way to isolate it. Right now the Navi's VSP is getting the signal from the ECU. Its still the same signal either way. I think it works funny because the way the VSS is wired and feeds the 2001 cluster, its wired differently on the 97 cluster. Take a look at the FSM for free on NYCmaximas for free if you are interested and see for yourself.
i THINK i mar have this sorted out, im gonna use the ASCD module from an 01 and see if that fixes the cruise, problem is ill have to wait till later this week to get going on that.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:44 AM

so did anyone verify if the odometer works with the swap?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Black Lion

My odometer works fine, see post 28.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Black Lion

Update

My navigation system (Eclipse AVN 6620) has calibrated itself and now reads the correct MPH. I guess it needed time to adjust to the new cluster. I checked it out while taking a long ride sat and to my surprise it was reading correctly. So Im my case the navigation functions correctly after the 2001 AE cluster swap.

I will be upgrading to a new head unit soon and this one will be available. I will make a thread for it when Im ready to sell it. I have the Ipod connector and rear camera which I will sell all together for a good deal.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:01 PM

Maxprivate, just curious, I got everything working on mine except the backlight behind the odometer panel illuminates during the daytime and shuts off at night. That and I haven't found anything to hook it up to to receive constant power when the car is off. Just curious, how did you wire up that part?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Maxprivate, just curious, I got everything working on mine except the backlight behind the odometer panel illuminates during the daytime and shuts off at night. That and I haven't found anything to hook it up to to receive constant power when the car is off. Just curious, how did you wire up that part?
all of the orange wires on the far right(brown) plug need to be powered. are they?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
all of the orange wires on the far right(brown) plug need to be powered. are they?

They are, though the 97 doesn't supply any power to the cluster while the ignition is off and locked. I guess I will probably have to run a wire from my radio, unless anyone knows of a certain wire that should be connected that I am missing?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Black Lion

They are, though the 97 doesn't supply any power to the cluster while the ignition is off and locked. I guess I will probably have to run a wire from my radio, unless anyone knows of a certain wire that should be connected that I am missing?
I got constant power from the fuse panel by your left foot. They are labeled Batt, I just used a volt meter to ensure there is 12v present when the car is off and there is. I stuck a solid (not stranded) 22 awg wire in the opening when the fuse is removed, make sure the wire is in there well. Put the fuse back in and run that wire to the cluster that feeds the odometer for constant batt power. I think its wire 64 on the 2001 AE cluster that feeds the digital odo for constant power but don't quote me on that ... double check it.

So your odo illumination would shut off at night? Mine stood on even before I ran constant power to it.. day or night if I recall correctly.

Another thing I noticed with the digital odo is that is doesn't keep the trip miles stored in the cluster. When ever I turn off the car the miles on the Trip reset back to zero. How is this supposed to function?

Did you get your Cruise control to work?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:23 AM

Another thing I noticed with the digital odo is that is doesn't keep the trip miles stored in the cluster. When ever I turn off the car the miles on the Trip reset back to zero. How is this supposed to function?

Did you get your Cruise control to work?

With the trip miles, that is part of the constant power problem. If the cluster gets power to the right unit constantly, the odometer part should function and stay lit for a few minutes with the car off and the keys out. If I can do this, then it should save the trip miles, but as soon as power is cut to it, the trip odo clears.

And nope, never did get my cruise control to work either. I don't have the proper bracket for the throttle cables with my 00vi, so theres no way for me to hook up the cruise control to even test it.

If you do figure it out though, post it up, I definitely will try to get cruise working in the future.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:27 AM
Donating i30 Owner

do you have auto lights
Old 06-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Black Lion

[QUOTE=modenaf1;7608466]With the trip miles, that is part of the constant power problem. If the cluster gets power to the right unit constantly, the odometer part should function and stay lit for a few minutes with the car off and the keys out. If I can do this, then it should save the trip miles, but as soon as power is cut to it, the trip odo clears.

Well thats the thing, I have constant power going to it like the FSM requires for the odometer and it still clears when it looses power. The illumination stays on for several seconds before turning of after the car is turned off , so I don't know why the trip still clears. As for the cruise cont, mine partially works... anyhow its was never my goal to have it fully functional since I never really used it.

Is your ABS light on all the time? Mine is and I haven't figured out why yet.

Last edited by maxprivate; 12-19-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:04 AM

Man i have a 97 se also and i been dying to get a digital odemter but thought it wasnt possible, im not really a electrical guy, i may just get someone to install it in for me, this is great
Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Does anyone know if a 98, 99 cluster would work also? all i really care for is for the digital odometer
Old 06-20-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by jplunks
Does anyone know if a 98, 99 cluster would work also? all i really care for is for the digital odometer
its possible to do, i THINK there might be a thread on that already, look in the faq's and see if its there, but i do remember hearing someone do that 2 or 3 years ago. otherwise just do this mod and youll be set.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:16 PM

ok i got ya, mine is a 98
Old 06-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
do you have auto lights
Unfortunately no. I think the only 4th gen's to get automatic headlights were fully loaded 1999 Maximas and 1999 I30's.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Well thats the thing, I have constant power going to it like the FSM requires for the odometer and it still clears when i looses power. The illumination stays on for several seconds before turning of after the car is turned off , so I don't know why the trip still clears. As for the cruise cont, mine partially works... anyhow its was never my goal to have it fully functional since I never really used it.

Is your ABS light on all the time? Mine is and I haven't figured out why yet.
Bummer, looks like we have the same problem. As for the ABS light, it works great. Does your ABS work at all? Check out my guide to see how mine is wired up:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ap-95-97s.html
Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Black Lion

Bummer, looks like we have the same problem. As for the ABS light, it works great. Does your ABS work at all? Check out my guide to see how mine is wired up:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ap-95-97s.html
I have my ABS light wired the same way.

I fixed the trip odometer issue the miles now stay in memory. You have to bring battery power to wires 64 and 62 which I thought I did but I had the wrong wire tapped in to batt power. I corrected it and the trip records the miles and stores them now.

The fuse box I tapped into has 12v when the car is off and its labeled hazard light. Just stick a wire in there (I didn't even have to pull the fuse out) and make sure it has power with a Volt meter. Tap wires 64 and 62 (run wire 65 to ground) into this wire and your set.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 PM

I have my ABS light wired the same way.

I fixed the trip odometer issue the miles now stay in memory. You have to bring battery power to wires 64 and 62 which I thought I did but I had the wrong wire tapped in to batt power. I corrected it and the trip records the miles and stores them now.

The fuse box I tapped into has 12v when the car is off and its labeled hazard light. Just stick a wire in there (I didn't even have to pull the fuse out) and make sure it has power with a Volt meter. Tap wires 64 and 62 (run wire 65 to ground) into this wire and your set.
Awesome! Thanks man, I'll do that and update the guide!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:49 PM

How high in gens can the gauge dash fit in the 4th gen? can the 5.5 or 6th gen clusters fit in a 4th maxima?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:18 PM

How high in gens can the gauge dash fit in the 4th gen? can the 5.5 or 6th gen clusters fit in a 4th maxima?
The 5.5 will fit but it won't work well. It needs the ecu in order to work.6th gen. Definate no on that one. Unless you wanna drop some heavy coin to make it work.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Black Lion

Awesome! Thanks man, I'll do that and update the guide!
Your welcome, not a problem.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
The 5.5 will fit but it won't work well. It needs the ecu in order to work.6th gen. Definate no on that one. Unless you wanna drop some heavy coin to make it work.
thanks alot, ill just try for a 98-99 gauge as im hoping to change the look from analogue odometer to digital, it'l look so much better
Old 06-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Black Lion

thanks alot, ill just try for a 98-99 gauge as im hoping to change the look from analogue odometer to digital, it'l look so much better
I agree changing from analog to digital cluster is so much better. Why not just get the 2001 AE cluster? IMO the 5th gen cluster looks so much better than the 4thg gens. Besides you are going to do the same amount of work with the wiring anyway. Its Up to you though.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:47 AM

It's why I did it. For the look.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:15 PM

this may be a mod question but, the pics i been seeing to switch from a 4th to 5th have all been automatic, can this be done with 5spd? and when you change it how to you change the odometer reading?
Old 06-27-2010, 01:39 PM

this may be a mod question but, the pics i been seeing to switch from a 4th to 5th have all been automatic, can this be done with 5spd? and when you change it how to you change the odometer reading?
yep it can be done. I have a swapped 5 spd. And no problems.. as for reading the mileage what do you mean exactly?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:45 PM

like if my odometer is at 200kms and the cluster is at 98kms, can i get my cluster to read 200kms?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Black Lion

like if my odometer is at 200kms and the cluster is at 98kms, can i get my cluster to read 200kms?
I don't think you can do that. This is the reason you have to find a cluster thats close to your current mileage. I have about 135,000 miles on my car and I found the 2001 cluster with 136,000 roughly. No big deal.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:30 PM

that will be a challage, but i guess as long as you can keep track you'll be safe, thanks alot guys
Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 AM

Go to the dealer, pay a little and i'm sure they will be more then happy to roll it up for you. They just won't ever roll it DOWN =P
Old 06-29-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by silencecalls
Go to the dealer, pay a little and i'm sure they will be more then happy to roll it up for you. They just won't ever roll it DOWN =P

really they can do that?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:47 PM

Got a problem with my trip meter. It resets every time I shut off the engine. Any ideas where I can start looking?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:18 PM

sounds like a bad ground, either behind the odo. or where the trip meter gets its signal from

Quick Reply: Doing the 2001 AE edition cluster swap in a 4th gen