4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

DIY: 5th gen instrument cluster swap for 95-97's

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:48 PM

DIY: 5th gen instrument cluster swap for 95-97's

Hey everyone, I recently swapped the silver 2001 Anniversary Edition cluster into my 4th gen.

Here is the entire guide I made (posted on CONOC because the .org only allows like 5 images per post): http://www.conoc.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3992

Here are some before and after pics:
Before and After

Before:

After:

Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Got Retrofit?

Looks great man nice work! Thanks for the write-up.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:18 PM

That looks great. I might have to keep an eye out for one of those clusters the next time I go junkyard shopping. Is there any way to adjust the odometer in the new cluster to match your actual miles?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:30 PM
I need a truck

That's f'n awesome ... Kudos.

I might be buying a 69 Chevy Nova
Old 04-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I need a truck

Why the CEL?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:33 PM

looks great man
Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Turbo 4th Gen

nice
Old 04-12-2010, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad283
Why the CEL?
The CEL was on before the cluster swap. Just a minor intentional issue. My EGR solenoid is unplugged and disabled because I am running the 00vi with the EGR block off plate instead of the 00 guide tube. BTW, congrats on the Nova, you will have to get some pics up in the Colorado thread!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by komik
That looks great. I might have to keep an eye out for one of those clusters the next time I go junkyard shopping. Is there any way to adjust the odometer in the new cluster to match your actual miles?
I'll have to look into that. I think a dealership can roll the miles forward for you, but if the cluster has more miles than your car they will not adjust them backward.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by modenaf1
I'll have to look into that. I think a dealership can roll the miles forward for you, but if the cluster has more miles than your car they will not adjust them backward.
Modena, thats an awesome write and that will save people tons of time as far as figuring out where each wire goes. I have my ABS light hooked up the same way you do so I don't know why my light is on all the time. I'll try reseting the ECU and see if that will make the light go away.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Black Lion

Modena, I think I know why you have the issue with your odo illumination. You have wire 65 going to 36 for illumination. Wire 65 is the ground side of the trip ODO, move that wire to a ground either on 5 or 40 on the 4th gen harness and that should take care of your issue.

Im going to double check and make sure I have batt power on the wire I tapped into for the Trip memory, I may have only check it with key in the on position. If that doesn't work I'll run a wire right from the Batt and see if that fixes it.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:55 PM

That looks like good workmanship, and props for doing a write-up. It fits real nice.

Although, I have to say, am I the only person that prefers the 4th gen cluster over the 5th gen cluster? This seems like a popular mod, but IMO the grey between the tick marks just makes it look cluttered. The PRND21 indicator seems like the best feature that it adds, but you're a 5 speed.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Black Lion

IMO I think the gauge lighting looks way better than the 4thgen and if you do LED needles with the 4thgen cluster it doesn't look good because the light will shine on a portion of the analog cluster and it looks crappy IMO. The main reason I did it was for the gear display even though I successfully converted my stock cluster to the NZ cluster with the gear display I still converted to the 5th AE regardless. Plus the gray color matches my dash kit and leather seats perfectly. Thats how much more I like the 2001 AE cluster.

Last edited by maxprivate; 06-20-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:08 PM

Maxprivate, thanks for letting me know! I think I will try that out and see if I can fix the odo illumination issue.

nalc, personally I like the design and simplicity of the 4th gen cluster too, but I really like the larger, redder needles on the 5th and the biggest thing for me was getting the silver background. I really like the 2002-2003 cluster a lot, but unfortunately can't use it, so the Anniversary Edition cluster is my best bet. Had it just been a normal white faced 2000-2001 SE cluster though, I probably would have just left it in the junkyard. I guess I do like the digital odo too, if only I can get it to store the trip info haha.

I guess for the automatic guys the PRND21 is pretty handy, is there even any way to wire that up to get it to work in an automatic? I'm going to look for a 5sp 5th gen so I can use the bezel to cover up the PRND21 on mine since I'm 5sp.

Last edited by modenaf1; 06-20-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
IMO I think the gauge lighting looks way better than the 4thgen and if you do LED needles with the 4thgen cluster it doesn't look good because the light will shine on a portion of the analog cluster and it looks crappy IMO. The main reason I did it was for the gear display even though I successfully converted my stock cluster to the NZ cluster with the gear display I still converted to the 5th AE regardless. Plus the gray color matches my dash kit and leather seats perfectly. Thats how much more I like the 2001 AE cluster.
Yeah, I haven't seen one of those lit up since the last time I drove an 01AE, which was like three years ago, and I don't remember. Any night pictures?

I don't particularly care for the bluish-green color of the factory one, but it's not a big deal for me. I keep it dimmed to improve my night vision.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Black Lion

Maxprivate, thanks for letting me know! I think I will try that out and see if I can fix the odo illumination issue.

nalc, personally I like the design and simplicity of the 4th gen cluster too, but I really like the larger, redder needles on the 5th and the biggest thing for me was getting the silver background. I really like the 2002-2003 cluster a lot, but unfortunately can't use it, so the Anniversary Edition cluster is my best bet. Had it just been a normal white faced 2000-2001 SE cluster though, I probably would have just left it in the junkyard. I guess I do like the digital odo too, if only I can get it to store the trip info haha.

I guess for the automatic guys the PRND21 is pretty handy, is there even any way to wire that up to get it to work in an automatic? I'm going to look for a 5sp 5th gen so I can use the bezel to cover up the PRND21 on mine since I'm 5sp.
I am an automatic.. I used a shift boot so I am no loner able to see the gear display which is why I now use the one in the cluster. You have to tap into the TCM to get the signals for each gear and run them to the corresponding lights in the cluster. I have posted pics on the org. http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...r-cluster.html that should be the link.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by nalc
Yeah, I haven't seen one of those lit up since the last time I drove an 01AE, which was like three years ago, and I don't remember. Any night pictures?

I don't particularly care for the bluish-green color of the factory one, but it's not a big deal for me. I keep it dimmed to improve my night vision.
Metal Maxima made a how to in the 5th gen section on how to make the cluster brighter and he used the 01 AE cluster. Check it out. The lighting looks much more sportier and cooler than the 4 th gen. Like Moderna said I also like the digital odometer versus the cheesy looking analog odometer. Much more modern look.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
Modena, I think I know why you have the issue with your odo illumination. You have wire 65 going to 36 for illumination. Wire 65 is the ground side of the trip ODO, move that wire to a ground either on 5 or 40 on the 4th gen harness and that should take care of your issue.
Damn, can't get this odo lighting to work right still. You said to put wire 65 to ground?

Here is what all the combinations seem to do:

Wire 65 to 36 (what it used to be) - ignition on, odo backlight lights up. headlights on cluster lights up and odo backlight goes black

Wire 65 to ground (5 or 40) - odo backlight lights up no matter if lights are on or off. Cluster does NOT light up at all.

Wire 65 hanging free connected to nothing - odo backlight works normally, lights up with lights on, goes out with lights off. Cluster still does NOT light up at all.

Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Black Lion

Damn, can't get this odo lighting to work right still. You said to put wire 65 to ground?

Here is what all the combinations seem to do:

Wire 65 to 36 (what it used to be) - ignition on, odo backlight lights up. headlights on cluster lights up and odo backlight goes black

Wire 65 to ground (5 or 40) - odo backlight lights up no matter if lights are on or off. Cluster does NOT light up at all.

Wire 65 hanging free connected to nothing - odo backlight works normally, lights up with lights on, goes out with lights off. Cluster still does NOT light up at all.

Any ideas?
I responded at Colorado forums, check it out.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi Modenaf1, may I request for your guide for this? im doing mine now but im still in the stage of planning the wiring.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I dont think this guide exists anymore, ive been looking as well. This thread is 5 years old and the dude who wrote it hasnt been around since 2011.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:38 AM
Black Lion

So I'm assuming none of the links work?

I have done this swap before and I still have the diagrams somewhere. But I will tell you this.. For some reason my transmission would go into safety using the 2001 AE cluster ( I'm auto) and the tranny would not shift into 3rd grear even though I had the pedal floored. I must have wired something incorrect because no one else reported that issue.

Once I swapped back to the stock 4th gen cluster the problem went away.

If you still need help I can guide you and on what wires to tap into what. But as I mentioned for some reason my tranny would go into safety and I never figured out why. I still have my 20001 cluster and one day I'll probably tackle it again and see what I did wrong ( if anything ) but I went over the wiring tons of times and didn't see anything different compared to what others have done.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

^^^ was that the only issue you had maxprivate? I have a 5spd so id imagine i wouldnt have any issues there. How difficult/pita would you consider this to do?

Im really fixin to do this mod, but i dont want to go in blind. If you have some DIY-tier stuff to share that would be awesome. I hate how some of the most helpful information out there for some mods gets posted on other websites which eventually get erased, leaving late comers like me with nothing but threads full of people praising a dead link.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Slamrod
^^^ was that the only issue you had maxprivate? I have a 5spd so id imagine i wouldnt have any issues there. How difficult/pita would you consider this to do?

Im really fixin to do this mod, but i dont want to go in blind. If you have some DIY-tier stuff to share that would be awesome. I hate how some of the most helpful information out there for some mods gets posted on other websites which eventually get erased, leaving late comers like me with nothing but threads full of people praising a dead link.
yes, unfortunately those links are gone now so are most of the guys that have done this swap.

Its a lot of work because you have to identify all the wires behind your cluster and match them with the 5th gen cluster which takes time. Even though I followed the diagram things still did not work right that needed to be straightened out.. such as some lighting in the digital odometer in the 5th gen cluster. the diagram I had didn't have it wired correctly.

Took me hours, and I along Moderna figured out the wiring so it all worked properly. Also the maxima Colorado forums guys helped too. Not sure its thats around either anymore.

My only issue was the tranny that would sometimes go into safety.. but that went away once I swapped back to the 4th gen cluster so I know something may have not been wired right causing the tranny to act up. Maybe it was the speedometer delay i.e., the 5th gen cluster will not register speed till you hit about 10 to 15 mph. That has something to do with the difference bet the 4th and 5th gen speed sensors. The delay is normal in all 4th to 5th gen cluster swaps. A full 5th gen swap would of course solve all that if you ever went a full 3.5 engine swap route.

In addition, your cruise control will no longer work using the 5th gen cluster. Unless you install a 5th gen cruise control but I think that only works on a full 5th gen swap. Don't have much info on getting the cruise control to work.

Any 5th gen cluster you pick up make sure it has the pig tail connectors with enough wire to splice/connect your 4th gen wires to. I would say at least 6" of wire is sufficient. Many junk yards cut the wires on the connectors so short you can't use them.

I would label all your wires since it makes it easier to not confuse yourself. Another piece of advise, SOLDER all your wires! .. I can't tell you how many issues I had with the cluster not working right because of loose wires. Remember you are going to be taking the cluster in and out many times so soldering would ensure good connections. Also use good quality electrical tape like 3M to tape up your connections. good luck!

Last edited by maxprivate; 09-05-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi maxprivate and slamrod thanks for the replies. Yes I have the pig tails but the cluster I got is a jdm and it has extra wires compared to the 2001 fsm, compared to the 2002 fsm the wires are different colors so I'm going with the 2001 fsm for this but it would really help a lot if you can help with the diagrams
Old 08-19-2015, 04:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi maxprivate

Here is a pic of the 5th gen gauge I got

The wires without the labels are the one I can't find in the FSM
Old 08-19-2015, 04:53 PM
Black Lion

There are several wires on the 5th gen cluster you will not be using. Look at the 5th gen diagram for the cluster for 2001 and your corresponding year maxima to get a better idea.

Cruise, the Gear display pndr12 etc you won't be using. Unless you plan on wiring in the gear display as well. Those signals come from the TCM just under the radio. But for P and N you will need to add diodes on the inhibitor switch plug and take P and N signals prior to the diodes.

If you get lost on any particular wiring and where they should go let me know. I'll have to find where my diagrams are and get back to you.

Like I did here. If you don't do this your P and N indicator will come on together despite whether you're in P or N

Last edited by maxprivate; 08-19-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks maxprivate. I was actually able to wire an i30 cluster to my other 97 car and I got the wires for the gear display from the inhibitor switch but didn't diode the P and the N. I just put the P in the N signal so that every time I put it in P it's in N but from time to time when the shift is in P I have the knack of oushing it up coz I think I'm in neutral... For this mod I still plan to use the gear display... From modenaf1s theead before it was also mentioned that the temp guage would work because of the difference in the sensor type of the 4th gen and 5th gen, is this correct? I will be making a diagram of the pinouts of the cluster I have and will show the wires that I can't identify and their colors as well. Hope that you can help. Thanks for your support for this mod.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by toby99
Thanks maxprivate. I was actually able to wire an i30 cluster to my other 97 car and I got the wires for the gear display from the inhibitor switch but didn't diode the P and the N. I just put the P in the N signal so that every time I put it in P it's in N but from time to time when the shift is in P I have the knack of oushing it up coz I think I'm in neutral... For this mod I still plan to use the gear display... From modenaf1s theead before it was also mentioned that the temp guage would work because of the difference in the sensor type of the 4th gen and 5th gen, is this correct? I will be making a diagram of the pinouts of the cluster I have and will show the wires that I can't identify and their colors as well. Hope that you can help. Thanks for your support for this mod.
No problem, let me know and ill dig up my diagram.

I didn't have any issues with my temperature gauge. The only difference is that it would read slightly lower temp but that's because of the two different sensors. Other than that no issues.

hA HA Yea it can be a little confusing if someone else drives your car and thinks its in N when its in P and vise versa. Thats why I went through the trouble to separate the signal with the diodes in the inhibitor switch. You need to add those diodes like I did or it will not work right.

I need to find a spare 4th gen cluster plug so I can remove 2 pins for the P and N wires. I just had the wires rigged in there before to work so it made contact with the cluster. Doing the pin inserts is just cleaner
Old 08-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello guys, the link to the guide is off
Old 08-30-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by hittokiri
Hello guys, the link to the guide is off
conoc.net does not exist any more.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:04 PM

Try using wayback machine to view old websites. https://archive.org/web/web.php