4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Guess the front end noise (Video Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Guess the front end noise (Video Inside)

Unknown Noises

I'm out of idea's...cant figure the noise out. Cant replicate it with the car off the ground, have since replaced the axles and it went away for about a week and is now coming back, slowing working its way back up to being this loud. If ANYBODY recognizes the noise, or can offer insight, it will be greatly appreciated. I cant figure it out for the life of me.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 PM

Bumpski
Old 04-19-2010, 02:34 PM

does it happen rolling in neutral? reverse?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo
does it happen rolling in neutral? reverse?
Not in reverse, but yes, in neutral. Most of that video was me coasting down the street in neutral and coming to a very slow stop.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:43 PM

have you checked for something rubbing against the brake rorors?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
have you checked for something rubbing against the brake rorors?
Yep. Nothing.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dust shield rubbing against your brake rotor ? A stuck caliper ?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:48 PM

does it go away when you step om the brakes at all?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:28 AM

I had the same thing, my slider pins were done. Took out my caliper, pulled out those rusty asz slider pins, bought new ones for about 20 bucks. cleaned it all out and put em back in. Or your wheel could be rubbing?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

yeap something rubbing rotor prob Dust sheild
Old 04-20-2010, 08:38 AM

it almost sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me or plastic rubbing on the tire my max made a similar noise it was just plastic from the wheel well rubbing on the tire or by the pulsating sound something is bent.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Definately sounds like something rubbing the rotor.
Have you checked the wheel bearing for play?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:31 AM
The Golden One

Anything lose on your car?

My fuel tank straps broke recently (one - I replaced both) and it made a rubbing noise like that as it was bouncing against the car from hitting the ground.

I am also inclined to say it's something rubbing against one of your wheels though.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:35 PM

just redid all my front suspension, took the car out for a quick drive yesterday and it did the same thing, but only at low speeds and got worse when the wheel was turned. sounds to me like the dust shield, havent gotten the wheels off to check it out tho. i hope thats all it is, let us know if you figure it out.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by repmax96
just redid all my front suspension, took the car out for a quick drive yesterday and it did the same thing, but only at low speeds and got worse when the wheel was turned. sounds to me like the dust shield, havent gotten the wheels off to check it out tho. i hope thats all it is, let us know if you figure it out.
if it was just a dust shield the sound wouldn't get louder when your turn because the shield turns with the tires and everything else.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:15 PM

it defiantly has something to do with the brakes the pulsating sound sounds like its going along with the abs. you might have a stuck caliper or slides.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:18 PM

sounds like youre driving santa's sled
Old 04-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Like i stated before, its most likely your caliper slider pins, mine would be more noticeable when turning left(it was on my left wheel). After replacement of those and some new pads since the stuck pins killed my old pads, all the noise went away. Im pretty sure that is your problem.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by gjaa
does it go away when you step om the brakes at all?
Oddly enough, sometimes. It's really weird...sometimes it goes away when I get on the brakes, sometimes it goes away when I turn, sometimes it gets louder when I turn. No noise over bumps or anything tho. I know my axles are doing funny stuff..driver side axle had to get hammered in when putting it in for instance. But either way, I have the car up in the air to clean the coilovers and in the meantime, I'm taking everything apart to try and find the issue.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:17 PM

UPDATE: Well, got everything off and nothing seems to distinctly stick out. One of my slider pins is indeed frozen, although on the driver side, which isnt the side with all the noise, although now why that side is making alittle noise. Interesting tho, I took off the passenger side rotor to find the backside of it looking like this; Rotor. On my way to replace the rotor now, and probably all new front brake pads. If I find anything else, I will post it up.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:05 PM

I haven't seen a rotor with air bubbles in a long time!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by watson
Like i stated before, its most likely your caliper slider pins, mine would be more noticeable when turning left(it was on my left wheel). After replacement of those and some new pads since the stuck pins killed my old pads, all the noise went away. Im pretty sure that is your problem.
I concur. Had the same problem (not as loud though) a few months ago. Replacing them will most likely alleviate the issue. I did for me.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:03 AM
+Cru OG

Originally Posted by KrayolaSE-L
UPDATE: Well, got everything off and nothing seems to distinctly stick out. One of my slider pins is indeed frozen, although on the driver side, which isnt the side with all the noise, although now why that side is making alittle noise. Interesting tho, I took off the passenger side rotor to find the backside of it looking like this; Rotor. On my way to replace the rotor now, and probably all new front brake pads. If I find anything else, I will post it up.
You need to either rebuild or replace your front calipers. A new slider pin won't fix your problem if the caliper has seized.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Have you thought about the wheel bearing thats what my issue was a couple of months back
Old 04-24-2010, 07:25 PM

def sounds like dust shield. push the car in neutral and look and listen. Next thing you can do is probably jack the car up and spin the front wheels(i have that weird feeling it might not make the noise while off ground)
Old 04-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

he i have that weird vibration noise in the front of my 97 max SE. cant figure out what it is either my brakes squeel," but hell that 's just pad relacement telling time for a change. THAT anoying noise is ridiculous, good luck . I ve heard wheel bearing, rotors, but still not the culprit. like agrinding /vibration noise drives me crazy.

Last edited by smith; 04-27-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Snypa
def sounds like dust shield. push the car in neutral and look and listen. Next thing you can do is probably jack the car up and spin the front wheels(i have that weird feeling it might not make the noise while off ground)
Nope, doesnt make the noise while the wheel is off the ground, thats what has had me confused the whole time. Half of these issues in the thread I'd think would all make the noise even if it was off the ground. But, I replaced that rotor, replaced the bad slider pin, replaced the brakes and cleaned my coilovers. I'm just waiting for the SS clutch line to get here before I bother putting my wheels back on, but after that, I'm taking it for a drive a hopefully no noise.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
You need to either rebuild or replace your front calipers. A new slider pin won't fix your problem if the caliper has seized.
I agree, but neither caliper is seized. Both compressed with a c-clamp normally.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Solicitous
Have you thought about the wheel bearing thats what my issue was a couple of months back
Yeah, I know the wheel bearing on my drivers side is on the way out, but the thing is, the bad noise is coming from the passenger side, and according to the wheel test, the bearing is fine. And even if it was, I've replaced my wheel bearings a few times now, and I know the sound very well. I mean somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but a wheel bearing is a constant noise instead of a rotational one, correct?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:24 PM

How about putting a bottle jack under the control arm while the car is on stands to try to simulate a light load on the affected corner, and giving the wheel a spin?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Yeah, I know the wheel bearing on my drivers side is on the way out, but the thing is, the bad noise is coming from the passenger side, and according to the wheel test, the bearing is fine. And even if it was, I've replaced my wheel bearings a few times now, and I know the sound very well. I mean somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but a wheel bearing is a constant noise instead of a rotational one, correct?
i just got rid of the same exact noise on my right rear wheel, it was the rotor/ caliper rubbing, whoever did the brakes last mounted them wrong and the rotor got bent making it rub against the pads when not breaking, i just put new rotors and pads on and its all good now, now all i got to do is change my abs speed sensor on that same wheel because it seems like alll the rubbing and probably something hitting it messed it all up, total cost $350
Old 04-30-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by gjaa
i just got rid of the same exact noise on my right rear wheel, it was the rotor/ caliper rubbing, whoever did the brakes last mounted them wrong and the rotor got bent making it rub against the pads when not breaking, i just put new rotors and pads on and its all good now, now all i got to do is change my abs speed sensor on that same wheel because it seems like alll the rubbing and probably something hitting it messed it all up, total cost $350
You sir have called it. I was going on here to post my findings, and that is pretty much what I found. I didnt notice it until I was putting everything back in, and I felt uneven wear in the back break pad. Like REALLY uneven. Holding it straight, it was like a gradual incline. I could see the indent of the rotor in the pad. And just to confirm, I checked the old rotor and after it having been outside and rained on, there was a thin layer of rust which was only present towards in the inside. Was an entire uneven ring around the rotor which didnt have the same amount of rust. Changing everything now, and back on the ground in about an hour. And btw lol...I was the last person to change my brakes. No biggie, lesson learned. I'll chime back in later to confirm if everything is good, and then this can be added to the maxima.org knowledge collective.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:42 AM

You sir have called it. I was going on here to post my findings, and that is pretty much what I found. I didnt notice it until I was putting everything back in, and I felt uneven wear in the back break pad. Like REALLY uneven. Holding it straight, it was like a gradual incline. I could see the indent of the rotor in the pad. And just to confirm, I checked the old rotor and after it having been outside and rained on, there was a thin layer of rust which was only present towards in the inside. Was an entire uneven ring around the rotor which didnt have the same amount of rust. Changing everything now, and back on the ground in about an hour. And btw lol...I was the last person to change my brakes. No biggie, lesson learned. I'll chime back in later to confirm if everything is good, and then this can be added to the maxima.org knowledge collective.
tell me about it, i waited untill my sensor went bad to change the damn rotors o well i learned my lesson as well!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 AM

UPDATE:

Problem not solved. Car got maybe a mile down the road before the noise came back. And by the time I pulled back into my driveway, it was horrible. More pronounced when I turned left. I've got the passenger side tore back down and am checking over everything. One thing I did notice, it seems like the full face of the pads is not contacting the rotor. There is a thin strip of surface rust due to recent rain that hasnt been worn down on the rotor...ie, the pad isnt touching it. You can even see the line in the pad face that isnt quite as smooth. Either way...I'm really running out of ideas. There is nothing that seems obviously wrong, so I'm going to check all the bushings and ball joints and see what I find.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM

might need to replace the brake caliper assembly. Its obviously somethin to do with brakes and/or rotational equipment.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:12 PM

New update: As of today, I have replaced the caliper, caliper bracket, brake pads and rotor. Problem not solved. Starting to think its axle related. But its a new axle..go figure. Either way, for anybody that might know, would the bad bearings that cause an axle to have excessive play while inserted into the tranny also cause the axle to move about, and make that noise?
Old 05-09-2010, 12:31 PM

You sir might just be having the same problem I had

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...r-problem.html

my car was making the same exact noise as in your video. turned out to be the wheel bearing even though it had less than 3k miles on it. Got mine from O'Reilly for about $27 and the inner and outer seals cost about $12 a piece. Used a friends press and issue was fixed. car drives like a dream now. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:38 PM

UPDATE:

More pronounced when I turned left.
Right wheel bearing making more noise when loaded.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Was this ever resolved? I'm having the same noise.

It started after I replaced the LCAs about a month ago; but only near the right wheel in extreme left turns. Today though it did it for about 5 minutes driving straight.

I do recall banging a wrench into the rotor shield when the castle nut on the ball joint broke loose... it didn't "look" bent or anything but I suppose it's possible.

Last edited by NetFurie; 09-14-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:11 PM

.driver side axle had to get hammered in when putting it in for instance.
That is your problem. You should not need to use a hammer on the driver side axle, if you do then the ring that locks it in gets bent up and it doesn't fit correctly. You might have messed up your transmission and the driver side axle. Take the axle out and tell me what you see.

Edit: Just realized that this was a 4 month old issue.

Last edited by Spyguy; 09-13-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Guess the front end noise (Video Inside)