4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Search is overrated

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:55 AM

Search is overrated

Hi everyone, I have been a member here before with 2 of my other Max's and been lurking for a long time. I have trouble understanding all the flaming for asking ?'s The search brings up many old threads that can't be viewed, and what the h ll would anyone talk about with out the new/old ?'s... I have learned more on the "revisits" of old questions than all the searching in the world. Also, do we not think that people have found better ways of doing things in the 12-15 years our cars have been out?? Seems things that worked with almost new cars could be less effective or even way more effective with older tired sensors, components etc. Just seems like telling someone to search every time a ? is asked leads to reluctance to participate. Lastly, if someone does come up with a helpful tip or NEVER BEFORE ASKED ?, they have to post bs 15 times to be able to help the other members. I have learned sooooo much from this forum, and might have some stuff to add, but lots of HUGE egos here. Other than that happy Mother's Day
Old 05-09-2010, 08:22 AM

[edit]

I completely misread that post... so hard to read.

Last edited by aackshun; 05-09-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Alright so most stuff has been addressed in older threads so there's no point in adding a new thread for the same thing, however if it's an issue that hasn't been addressed much, simply ask the question.

When I first started here, I would post threads all the time until I decided to just start searching instead and whatever trouble I've had in the past 3 years, I've simply searched for and fixed on my own.

Good luck
Old 05-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 AM

tony, shut up and SEARCH!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:25 AM

^^ what a nice guy. hey can you teach me to be like that. om sorry i thought this forum was supposta help fellow maxers? lets not give the community a bad name.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:27 PM

you noobs really need an *** kicking.

There's also a thread explaining how to read old posts.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:32 PM

search always doesnt answer some questions and when new people ask a question they get a ton of sh*t for doing it or if they bump a three year old thread they get flack so i can understand why some noobs feel like they shouldnt ask anything but the point of this forum is to help people not make them feel stupid for askin a question
Old 05-09-2010, 01:03 PM

I would agree but the majority of them are just plain lazy. We bash them because we KNOW there are threads which already answer said questions.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:38 PM

Sometimes I admit there are outdated information, such as some intake threads. A few years ago intakes were all like $200+ but now-a-days they can get had for less than $30. And threads back then will all give the price of intakes... back then... and so...

But if someone is looking for an additive that EVERYONE back then used and had great results, but in current times NO ONE uses that same additive because new information has been found out that the additive is bad or whatever, that person searching will read information from 3 or 4 years ago saying that so and so has given me great results. So the person searching go out and buys that additive based on outdated information and uses it only to have problems later on with broken O2 sensors or clogged catalytic converters. BUT all this could have been avoided if he or she posted a question and have NOT been flamed but instead be provided with current and accurate information which would have had helped that person avoid problems.

And so you see, if people stopped having that "Just go search you lazy a** and stop taking up my reading area with uninteresting threads" the world will be a better place.

Oh and one more edit, you guys need to stop bashing on people bumping old threads, I mean honestly sometimes there ARE... one or two OLD threads out there that matches my EXACT problems with no answers and so what do you do? Post a new thread and risk being flamed or bump a old one and risk being flamed again. The Maxima community is already small as it is we need to help each other and let the community grow, not sacrifice each other to the Gods until there is no one left.

Last edited by Leo_Koneval; 05-09-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:41 PM

ok, now that I got that off my chest, I love the site and not bashing it. I only get tired of opening threads that seem like a good ? and who ever started it gets the hell kicked out of them for asking the ?... I just figure there might actually be something new once the ball starts rolling. I may be a "noob" on the site, but this is my 3rd 4th generation Max, and if I got into the number of cars I have built up and modded you would not believe me. I have been an Executive Mgr. at a Nissan dealership, and now work at an Infiniti store, so I may just be able to help with ?'s or part #'s etc.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:48 PM

Well when you search, sometimes the search lists a thread that is no longer on the forum, so when you click on it, you get nothing. A lot of these old a$$ threads no longer have pics so when viewing them you can see words but no pics to go along with them. Some people are visual so they pretty much get nothing from the old a$$ thread everyone keeps telling them to search for. Sometimes you have to read through a bunch of old bullsh!t threads to get to the info you want, when a lot of time could've been spared if someone just took 10-30 sec to answer. Search also has a tendency to bring up EVERYTHING with the words you typed, so sometimes search can just be a pain in the a$$. Now for things like MEVI, 00VI, MEVI vs 00VI, common stuff like that, then yeah search. But some of these write-ups need to be re-done, and some NEW threads need to be made or old ones updated and cleaned so they aren't full of crap not pertaining to the topic you are looking for. I dont want to search for an answer to a question, find a thread I THINK has the answer, then go through 5 pages because people don't stay on topic and find out it doesn't have the answer. This has happened to me many times. Some noobs are lazy true, but the almighty search isn't as great as vets make it out to be. And the flaming does need to stop. The whole point of a forum is to help each other, and besides, its not like you have anything else to do at the moment, because if you did, you wouldn't be on the forum at that time would you?

Last edited by Shift_Nismo; 05-09-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Sometimes I admit there are outdated information, such as some intake threads. A few years ago intakes were all like $200+ but now-a-days they can get had for less than $30. And threads back then will all give the price of intakes... back then... and so...

But if someone is looking for an additive that EVERYONE back then used and had great results, but in current times NO ONE uses that same additive because new information has been found out that the additive is bad or whatever, that person searching will read information from 3 or 4 years ago saying that so and so has given me great results. So the person searching go out and buys that additive based on outdated information and uses it only to have problems later on with broken O2 sensors or clogged catalytic converters. BUT all this could have been avoided if he or she posted a question and have NOT been flamed but instead be provided with current and accurate information which would have had helped that person avoid problems.

And so you see, if people stopped having that "Just go search you lazy a** and stop taking up my reading area with uninteresting threads" the world will be a better place.

Oh and one more edit, you guys need to stop bashing on people bumping old threads, I mean honestly sometimes there ARE... one or two OLD threads out there that matches my EXACT problems with no answers and so what do you do? Post a new thread and risk being flamed or bump a old one and risk being flamed again. The Maxima community is already small as it is we need to help each other and let the community grow, not sacrifice each other to the Gods until there is no one left.
Completely agree.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Nismo
Well when you search, sometimes the search lists a thread that is no longer on the forum, so when you click on it, you get nothing. A lot of these old a$$ threads no longer have pics so when viewing them you can see words but no pics to go along with them. Some people are visual so they pretty much get nothing from the old a$$ thread everyone keeps telling them to search for. Sometimes you have to read through a bunch of old bullsh!t threads to get to the info you want, when a lot of time could've been spared if someone just took 10-30 sec to answer. Search also has a tendency to bring up EVERYTHING with the words you typed, so sometimes search can just be a pain in the a$$. Now for things like MEVI, 00VI, MEVI vs 00VI, common stuff like that, then yeah search, but some of these write-ups need to be re-done, and some NEW threads need to be made or old ones updated and cleaned so they aren't full of crap not pertaining to the topic you are looking for. I dont want to search for an answer to a question, find a thread I THINK has the answer, then go through 5 pages because people don't stay on topic. Some noobs are lazy true, but the almighty search isn't as great as vets make it out to be.

exactly, as well as the older links that are no longer valid. I appreciate the help explaining my issues. I just think it would a very sleepy forum if we only talked about things that have never been covered.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:56 PM

True true, sometimes if you have a complex problem you need to have a thread with a active communication going on to get to your problem.

I have a good example, I had a MAF problem that threw a code for one bank being lean. I read the old threads and someone with my exact problem fix it by changing the intake hoses because there might be a leak. So I did that, and still the same problem. I searched again and was lead to O2 sensors, I got under the car took them all out and changed them, still no go. I was tired of trying things out and so I posted a new thread and was immediately pointed to the MAF itself or its harness. I changed the MAF according to their recommendation and VOLIA problem solved.

Search is a great resource but its not perfect. And I've been here for like almost 2 years.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:16 PM

I agree. I've been snooping around and searching this site for months now. Found great stuff that helped A LOT. But so many were very old outdated threads missing pics. Decided its time to join so I can ask questions and post threads. Hope I don't get flamed when I do
Old 05-09-2010, 02:19 PM

A big part of the problem is that every time a question is asked, people are told to search, and no one ever posts the results in that thread.

There have been certain issues or questions I've had, and I've searched, and there have been 20 threads relevant to that topic, but 19 of them consisted of the OP asking the question I wanted to know the answer to, then being told to search, and then no more info being posted. It took probably a half hour of digging through old threads to be able to find the one thread out of twenty where the question was actually answered.

Try it, you'll see. Searching for a question will give you far more threads of someone asking the question and being flamed for not searching than it will give you threads containing the answer.

And, of course, even if you find a relevant thread, if there isn't a definitive answer, you're flamed for bumping it from the grave.

I mean, if it's a simple question that is in the FAQs, then you might deserve getting flamed. If it's a noob with under 15 posts who can't start a new thread, and he bumps a dead thread to say "wow that looks cool" or something pointless to increase his postcount, or replies to a thread with a completely unrelated and off-topic question, then yeah, flame them.

But if it's not covered in the FAQs, and the old threads on it are not that comprehensive, it's often very difficult to get a good answer.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
A big part of the problem is that every time a question is asked, people are told to search, and no one ever posts the results in that thread.

There have been certain issues or questions I've had, and I've searched, and there have been 20 threads relevant to that topic, but 19 of them consisted of the OP asking the question I wanted to know the answer to, then being told to search, and then no more info being posted. It took probably a half hour of digging through old threads to be able to find the one thread out of twenty where the question was actually answered.

Try it, you'll see. Searching for a question will give you far more threads of someone asking the question and being flamed for not searching than it will give you threads containing the answer.

And, of course, even if you find a relevant thread, if there isn't a definitive answer, you're flamed for bumping it from the grave.

I mean, if it's a simple question that is in the FAQs, then you might deserve getting flamed. If it's a noob with under 15 posts who can't start a new thread, and he bumps a dead thread to say "wow that looks cool" or something pointless to increase his postcount, or replies to a thread with a completely unrelated and off-topic question, then yeah, flame them.

But if it's not covered in the FAQs, and the old threads on it are not that comprehensive, it's often very difficult to get a good answer.
And that is the sad truth of this forum, because the whole point is to get questions answered. I frequent other Maxima forums more than this one for this simple reason. Everyone, for some reason, has a problem answering questions. This is the biggest Maxima forum with the most people, it should be the other way around.

Last edited by Shift_Nismo; 05-09-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
you noobs really need an *** kicking.

There's also a thread explaining how to read old posts.

Sounds like you have a bunch of **** to kick! you must be one of the just go and search guys??
Old 05-09-2010, 02:54 PM

Time for me to make a closing statment

IBTL..

Oh and theres nothing wrong with a new Thread... after you Search to the very best of your abilities. Because after 12 years.. pretty much anything and everything that could be asked has been. And if it hasnt well than you wouldnt have to search, nor would you get **** for a new thread.

Originally Posted by nalc

The issues you outlined here are due to the lack of deletion of old irrelevant threads. Locking is not the answer.

Last edited by FallenOne; 05-09-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=FallenOne;7551910]Time for me to make a closing statment

IBTL..

Oh and theres nothing wrong with a new Thread... after you Search to the very best of your abilities. Because after 12 years.. pretty much anything and everything that could be asked has been. And if it hasnt well than you wouldnt have to search, nor would you get **** for a new thread.

Been there, done that, and still sometimes got "go search" from someone for asking a question when even in the searched threads no answer was given.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:18 PM

I never hate on question asking i mean **** thats why we are hear to ask and answer. I only say search when people ask tarded questions like how much p does a maxima have? Or what does se stand for? I do agree tho ppl need to get off their high horses a little. If anything searching does put more of a laod on the servers but then again more threads also equal more data so more money but honestly just keep it reasonble i ask technical questions and 2nd opinions and i hardly have an issue. Maybe you gotta look at how you on asking?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:47 PM

I agree

I think this is the most knowledgable Maxima sight but flaming noobs and the 15 post rule is foolish...5 I could see

my $.02
Old 05-09-2010, 04:54 PM

hell by the time we get to post, we can't even qualify as noobs anymore. I only brought any of this stuff up because there are prolly people who have great ideas, or possible fixes that may never bother to post because of someone telling them they are stupid, or decide it isnt worth the effort to "qualify"... I was able to do a pretty good job cleaning my IACV without taking it off, and it fixed all my symptoms. I then was able to take it apart and verify that it worked. That right there is flame bait, but it was weeks ago because of all the rules.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, I don't know if this is a good idea...

I mean I swear I used the search bar and all, but is there any way I can get my 4th gen square "cupholder" to actually hold a cup?

I keep a bottle of water in it usually and if I stop a little short it flies out.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:13 PM

I feel like I have to chime in here. I always try searching when I have a problem, but like many of you have said, it doesn't always display relevant/recent threads and information. Ill admit there are some stupid new threads that people obviously didn't search about before posting, but some of the people on here waste more posts saying search, and this has been asked a million times before....just seems easier to answer the question and be done with it. And when we do find an old thread, and need further questions answered, we get a hard time for reviving the old thread. People need to take the stick out of their asses just an inch or two. But most of the time people on here are very helpful though sorry for my rant. peace

Last edited by DIAMONDS98SE; 05-09-2010 at 06:15 PM.