4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Disabling ABS and things to look out for

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 07:01 AM

Disabling ABS and things to look out for

Just wondering what the best method would be to disable ABS. And will this cause any sideeffects? On my old car "galant" I had no problems, I just hate ABS. Also what thign should I look out for on my Maxima? It's a 98 SE fully loaded with 67,000 miles on it. I just replaced the rear O2 sensor. I had a hesitation problem, when at red lights or at a stop it wouldn't shift to first but stay in neutral and then jump into 1st and and the car would jerk. But I got the transmisson flushed and cleaned out teh throttle body and it seems to have stopped. Dealer could not find a solution cause I couldn't reproduce the problem. Would cleaning the TB and flushing the transmission solve this? Or is my transmssion damaged? It's an automatic. Tahnks.

El Cid
Old 12-11-2001, 07:08 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Why would you want to disable a safty system that helps you stop your car and maintain control in adverse conditions?

ABS will only help you stop shorter in a panic situation. Especially if the road conditions are poor.

Other then that, the system itself does nothing during normal driving conditions.

It would be foolish to disable a system like that on any car. And if you do, please do me a favor and call your insurance company and tell them what you have done. You can pay the higher rates!
Old 12-11-2001, 07:34 AM

ABS SUCKS

I brake beter without it I do my own brake pumping. I have had closer calls with it on than off. I live in canada and I get extreme weather conditions, and have not ahd an accident yet, but the only close ones I have had was because of ABS. The car doesn't stop it simulates a pumping action, which I do better. It's all personal prefferance, so if you feal more confident with it on then enjoy. I know pleanty of people that have disabled it on their cars because, they would much rather pump their own brakes.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:18 AM

Lets get 2 of the exact same cars with same tires and all on snow covered road. Oh and lets just throw in the fact that the road ends with a drop over a cliff.

Now you drive with the ABS disabled and I'll keep mine on. We drive to just about the edge and both of us start applying the brakes at the same time. PANIC STOP!!!!

Who's funeral do you think our friends will attend?

The ABS system is proven to stop your car faster on slipery road conditions. This is FACT my friend.

If you wish to drive your car without it on. Please go right ahead. But don't be so ignorant to say you can stop your car faster without ABS. It's pretty simple, YOU CAN'T.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:56 AM
BlkCat

Posting I did Last August

I attended the course put on by Drivers Unlimited (a Ross Bentley company)and sponsored by Canadian Direct Insurance. Its basically a course that tries to give you real life situations where you have to react quickly to avoid having an accident. You also get 10% off your car insurance after completing the course. ICBC (B.C.)doesn't offer it despite being approached by Drivers Unlimited. After a half hour of class room talking about the reasons for the course, whats to be gained from it and the 4 road courses we went out to flog the strip at Boundary Bay airport.

Road course #1 - Slalom: cones spaced about 20 feet apart and you have to watch the instructor signal you to skip a gate and yet trying to do the slalom. Tricky at first as you have to adjust your eyes to look further up the road and yet not run over the cones. The FSTB did its job well despite not having the rear sway bar installed!

Road course #2 - Panic stop from speed: Come barrelling in a straight line at speed and then stomp on the brakes. With ABS the sound is very sickening to hear but you get to appreciate the shorter braking distance than you would without ABS. For those with no ABS they have to be able to reach the threshold point just before the wheels lock up. I put Don's VB mod to the test here! Went in at 80 km/hr (50 mph)and stomped on the brakes each time!

Road course #3 - Panic stop in a turn: Similar to above but you have to crank the wheel hard before hitting the cones. It was a sharp 90 degree turn and when going in at 45-50 km/hr (30 mph)I was able to stop without hitting any cones.
Second pass I came in at 60 km/hr (nearly 40 mph) and despite turning the wheel I plowed into the cones. I found out that with ABS you have to turn the wheel more and also look into the direction of where you want to turn to. People have a habit of looking at the obstacle that you want to avoid hitting and wind up hitting it anyways.

Road course #4 - Reaction test: We're to come into the zone at 50 km/hr (30 mph) approaching a cone barrier. The instructor is standing behind the cone barrier and gives you the signal to do either a straight line panic stop, a panic stop in a turn and continue left or right, or a left or right turn. Every pass we did the time between entering the zone and being signalled reduced. It was guaranteed by the instructor to get your heart thumping as you wonder how good your reaction time is going to be before you actually hit the cones and instructor on each pass.

All in all I had a blast getting the feel of the Max,thrashing it and watching the other young and old guys and gals in the group attack the course.

Saw one 4 door Ford Focus come into the panic stop in a turn too fast and wiped out all of the cones and nearly wound up in the bush!

Old 12-11-2001, 09:04 AM
BlkCat

Btw, the instructors at Drivers Unlimited are professional racers.
In a panic situation you'd forget to pump your brakes and instead just lock them up. Its a fact. The only time you'll ever get to pump them is when you know well in advance that you're going in a bit too fast.
Its also like repositioning your hands to the 6 and 12 o'clock position to do a hard turn. I was told that you can set up for a turn on a race course but in real life you can't react fast enough when needed.

Old 12-11-2001, 09:12 AM
BlkCat

Re: Disabling ABS and things to look out for

Originally posted by elcid
It's a 98 SE fully loaded with 67,000 miles on it. I just replaced the rear O2 sensor. I had a hesitation problem, when at red lights or at a stop it wouldn't shift to first but stay in neutral and then jump into 1st and and the car would jerk.
El Cid
It could be the solenoids on your VB module.
Take a look at the service notice below:

http://www.punkdork.net/max/tsb039a.pdf

Old 12-11-2001, 09:58 AM

Yes, in most circumstances, if you simply slam on the brakes on a non-abs car in a panic situation you will not stop as fast as you could with ABS. However, please do not drive around thinking that ABS gives you superior braking to a non-ABS car. All ABS systems are not created equal either. The system, and it's stopping ability, are only as good as the hardware processing the inputs and the software programming which controls the actuators. ABS does not allow the car to stop to the best of it's ability, it helps you stop reasonably fast while maintaining control.

You mentioned "The ABS system is proven to stop your car faster on slipery road conditions. This is FACT my friend." ABS sucks on loose gravel or other similar surfaces. The tires tend to ride on top of the surface when it would be more beneficial to lock the wheel and have it dig in through the top layer and down to a firmer surface below. I'd call this a slippery surface. Ice is also another example where ABS does you no good, though that's mostly because everything sucks on ice.

You also mentioned, "If you wish to drive your car without it on. Please go right ahead. But don't be so ignorant to say you can stop your car faster without ABS. It's pretty simple, YOU CAN'T."

I'm assuming you have a general idea of how ABS works, but think about this. You're driving down the road and apply a certain amount of barke pressure and a wheel start to lock and skid. The wheel speed sensors see this and report it to the control module, which sends a signal to reduce the pressure to that wheel, ending the locked condition. The sensor then reports the condition has ended and pressure is reapplied. This cycle continues until the car is stopped. Let's apply numbers to this: You're driving down the road and slam on the brakes, applying say 1600 psi worth of pressure. For this surface, any pressure greater than 1500 psi will end up locking the wheels. The ABS does it's thing and the pressure is reduced to 1400 psi in order to get the wheel turning again. Once it's turning, the ABS re-applies pressure to 1600 psi you are demanding from the pedal, the wheels lock again and the cycle repeats itself until the car is stopped. Meanwhile, the non-ABS car next to you brakes hard with 1490 pounds of pressure. If it took 1500 pounds of pressure to lock the wheels, the non-ABS car was able to maintain a higher pressure for a longer period of time than the car with ABS. Which car do you think stopped in the shorter distance??

Do I think ABS is a useful safety tool and do I want it on my car when I'm on the street? Yes. Do I understand that ABS is a tool, and as such has limitations to it's usefullness and will not necessarily give me the shortest possible stoppping distance? Yes, but do you??

BTW, there have been studies that ABS cars are no safer than non-ABS cars because people either don't understand how to use it, or think they are invincible because they have it. Similar to how when it snows I see more morons with 4WD off the road than people without.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:03 AM

Nah bro >>

I brake beter without it I do my own brake pumping...The car doesn't stop it simulates a pumping action, which I do better.
Not possible. Can you pump your foot on the brake pedal 20 times per second?
Old 12-11-2001, 10:03 AM

Ok forget I even mentioned the ABS thing

Let's just forget that then, what about the trani issue? Could it have been resolved by flushing it, was it even a trani issue, or was it the throttle body, which was beyond dirty, I couldn't beleive the amount of crap that came out.

El Cid
Old 12-11-2001, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by iwannabmw
Do I think ABS is a useful safety tool and do I want it on my car when I'm on the street? Yes. Do I understand that ABS is a tool, and as such has limitations to it's usefullness and will not necessarily give me the shortest possible stoppping distance? Yes, but do you??
I have to tell you that was an nice write up on the ABS system and driving abilities.

In answer to the above question. Yes Definately I do.

But disabling it in a car you own? No, Absolutely no way thats going to benefit that guy. He should understand how the system works first, as I do. Then apply that knowledge to his driving styles.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:35 AM

Inregards to Service Bulliten board, and ABS Again

Ok ABS some like and some don't. Some cars even offer the option to turn it on and off, same with airbags. Now in regards to the service bullentin board thing does that apply to 98 Maxima? And is it covered by some kind of warranty? cause I think my warranty is all done, sine I have 110km/67miles on it. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:37 AM
BlkCat

Originally posted by iwannabmw

BTW, there have been studies that ABS cars are no safer than non-ABS cars because people either don't understand how to use it, or think they are invincible because they have it. Similar to how when it snows I see more morons with 4WD off the road than people without.
Yes, ABS is a tool and unless the user isn't informed enough how to use it and know its limitations they'll think that it will always get them out of a jam.

ABS saved me a couple of times already. The last one was when I was on a 3 lane city street in September. Conditions were dry and hazy clouds. I was in the center lane and coming up to an intersection. I see a Voyager slowing down in the lane to the right of me ahead and I'm doing 55 Km/hr. The guy didn't check his rear mirror nor his blind spot and started to do a left turn from his lane! Now I reacted fast enough to lean on the horn, slam on the brakes (this was before I took that collision avoidance course) and the ABS kicked in. I was literally a foot away from his driver side door when I finished stopping!
I could have driven into oncoming traffic if I dodged him but that would make things even worse but the smart thing to do would have been to just hit the guy.

On a side note it would be interesting for the insurance company to find that the ABS was disabled on your car.

Old 12-11-2001, 10:43 AM
BlkCat

Re: Inregards to Service Bulliten board, and ABS Again

Ok ABS some like and some don't. Some cars even offer the option to turn it on and off, same with airbags. Now in regards to the service bullentin board thing does that apply to 98 Maxima? And is it covered by some kind of warranty? cause I think my warranty is all done, sine I have 110km/67miles on it. Thanks.
I'm not sure about the warranty part but I was just pointing out that the solenoid setup is exactly the same as on my '98 SE automatic as is yours. I replaced my VB with Don's VB mod for better shifting whenever I need to draw on my SC.

Old 12-11-2001, 10:57 AM

Re: Re: Inregards to Service Bulliten board, and ABS Again

Originally posted by BlkCat

I'm not sure about the warranty part but I was just pointing out that the solenoid setup is exactly the same as on my '98 SE automatic as is yours. I replaced my VB with Don's VB mod for better shifting whenever I need to draw on my SC.
So you have that mod doen? Nice. How hard was the install? And how much does it cost, and where can I get it? Also should I be looking out for anything else that may go wrong around this milage (110,000 km/67,000 miles? Thanks BlkCat!

El Cid
Old 12-11-2001, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

I have to tell you that was an nice write up on the ABS system and driving abilities.

In answer to the above question. Yes Definately I do.

But disabling it in a car you own? No, Absolutely no way thats going to benefit that guy. He should understand how the system works first, as I do. Then apply that knowledge to his driving styles.
Okay, maybe I misunderstood an earlier post, and I do agree with you that in his case, disabling ABS isn't a good idea, but hopefully my post will help others understand how ABS works and it advantages and disadvantages. I think too many people put too much faith in things without really understanding the principles behind them.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:12 AM
BlkCat

Re: Re: Re: Inregards to Service Bulliten board, and ABS Again

So you have that mod doen? Nice. How hard was the install? And how much does it cost, and where can I get it? Also should I be looking out for anything else that may go wrong around this milage (110,000 km/67,000 miles? Thanks BlkCat!

El Cid
How hard? I started at around 8:00pm Saturday and finished after midnight and I did it all by myself. I got in on the first group deal for $375 US(I think?) a couple of months ago.

As for things going wrong I haven't had any. I got the car in Aug. '97 fresh off the boat. A month into ownership my driver side headlight exploded, turning that shiny cap into pieces. It was covered by warranty but I didn't need the dealer hassle that went with it.

With my other mods the dealer wouldn't touch them as expected..

Mods I have on my Max:
V2 Vortech Supercharger
B&M Supercooler Tranny cooler
Don's VB Mod
Stillen Body Kit
Courtesy Nissan FSTB
Stillen RSB
Eibach Pro Kit
Koni Sports

Old 12-11-2001, 11:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Inregards to Service Bulliten board, and ABS Again

Damn man! I can't wait to stak up my ride, I just bought it 1 month ago, but hopefully throwing in intake, FSTB, and RSB in the next week. Rims an kit I'll wait until after the winter. That Don VB mod is very appealing, damn I wish our f'ing dollar up here in canada was better!

How hard? I started at around 8:00pm Saturday and finished after midnight and I did it all by myself. I got in on the first group deal for $375 US(I think?) a couple of months ago.

As for things going wrong I haven't had any. I got the car in Aug. '97 fresh off the boat. A month into ownership my driver side headlight exploded, turning that shiny cap into pieces. It was covered by warranty but I didn't need the dealer hassle that went with it.

With my other mods the dealer wouldn't touch them as expected..

Mods I have on my Max:
V2 Vortech Supercharger
B&M Supercooler Tranny cooler
Don's VB Mod
Stillen Body Kit
Courtesy Nissan FSTB
Stillen RSB
Eibach Pro Kit
Koni Sports
Old 12-11-2001, 11:42 AM
BlkCat

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inregards to Service Bulliten board, and ABS Again

Damn man! I can't wait to stak up my ride, I just bought it 1 month ago, but hopefully throwing in intake, FSTB, and RSB in the next week. Rims an kit I'll wait until after the winter. That Don VB mod is very appealing, damn I wish our f'ing dollar up here in canada was better!
Don's VB mod is a must-have for 4th gen auto Maxes. There's a good bunch of ppl over in Toronto, if you're over there. They can help you out with mods!

Don't forget: Mods = Money or Speed doesn't come cheap!

Old 12-11-2001, 11:52 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I wish I had ABS.... I have ****ty tires and there have been times I locked it up and slid... When it was snowing, I skidded right into the rear of another car going just 10 mph.. it was that easy to lock the brakes since snow just fell on the road and it wasn't even holding, it's like driving on oil, friction between the tires and the road is minimal. everyone was skidding all over the place. I was hit twice that same day on my way home. The guy I hit had just hit someone 2 minutes before I hit him. It was crazy. I don't know how much ABS would have helped, but I wouldn't mind an extra safety feature on my car.

You have to know your car. There have been a few times that I had to speed up at lights running the red by a split second because I knew from previous experience that if I was to start braking, even with the best brake pumping, I would still have not stopped before reaching the intersection, I rather not ride through the intersection when cars are already going, but speed through it although I might run the red light. Would ABS help me? Possibly...

My friend had ABS disabled on his Chevy Lumina, after the whole system failed.... 2 weeks later he totalled it but hitting some reject in a Camry as the guy merged into his lane and slammed the brakes to make an illegal turn.

Personally, I wouldn't mind ABS one bit. What the hell is the point of disabling it? It kicks in when your car is loosing traction while braking. Unless you like loosing traction, you should not disable it. ABS doesn't always help anyways, but it's better to have it for the times it might....
Old 12-11-2001, 07:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inregards to Service Bulliten board, and ABS Again

In Toronto? Who is a good link down there? I got there very often I'm actually going down there in 2 weeks. My friend who lives there owns a Maxima also, and actually I beleive he is opening up a performance shop in the spring. Do you know who to contact in Toronto? Thanks once again!

El Cid

Don's VB mod is a must-have for 4th gen auto Maxes. There's a good bunch of ppl over in Toronto, if you're over there. They can help you out with mods!

Don't forget: Mods = Money or Speed doesn't come cheap!
Old 12-11-2001, 08:14 PM

anyways... to disable ABS in snow/ice/slippary rain ... drive @ 20mph, keep steering wheel straight, pull Ebrake up all teh way then slam on teh brakes... then the ABS light will go on the dashboard and ABS is disabled until u start the car again
Old 12-12-2001, 01:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Disabling ABS and things to look out for

Just wondering what the best method would be to disable ABS. And will this cause any sideeffects? On my old car "galant" I had no problems, I just hate ABS. Also what thign should I look out for on my Maxima? It's a 98 SE fully loaded with 67,000 miles on it. I just replaced the rear O2 sensor. I had a hesitation problem, when at red lights or at a stop it wouldn't shift to first but stay in neutral and then jump into 1st and and the car would jerk. But I got the transmisson flushed and cleaned out teh throttle body and it seems to have stopped. Dealer could not find a solution cause I couldn't reproduce the problem. Would cleaning the TB and flushing the transmission solve this? Or is my transmssion damaged? It's an automatic. Tahnks.

El Cid
I did not read this whole thread so sorry if this has all ready been mentioned. The best way to shut your ABS off is to remove the fuse, it is located right in front of your left knee when sitting upright in the driver's seat.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
anyways... to disable ABS in snow/ice/slippary rain ... drive @ 20mph, keep steering wheel straight, pull Ebrake up all teh way then slam on teh brakes... then the ABS light will go on the dashboard and ABS is disabled until u start the car again

I'm not sure I even want to know the circumstances under which you first made that discovery. . .