4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

phillips hid kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 09:05 PM

phillips hid kit

Spotted a phillips HID conversion kit for max on ebay...wondering if anybody's got them? big improvement? how much did you pay? Is there a really blue tint?
Old 12-12-2001, 04:57 AM

Re: phillips hid kit

Originally posted by k-man
Spotted a phillips HID conversion kit for max on ebay...wondering if anybody's got them? big improvement? how much did you pay? Is there a really blue tint?
I'm not too sure how prevalent the Philips kits are around here, most people either have Osram Kits (including myself!).... member 97gles here on the .org sells them... love mine... or Panasonic Kits that member yo_its_okay also sells/used to sell... not sure if he's still selling 'em.... try contacting either of those guys... i'm SURE they'll be more than helpful...
I copied a link that member mrb23 wrote up on the Osram kit.... really good write-up... check it out....

as far as big improvement over stock?! absolutely... let's just say that I'm never going back to halogen...

http://www.cd-covers.com/osram9004HID
Old 12-12-2001, 05:34 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Most kits now are less than $500...
Old 12-12-2001, 05:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Just read an article about the Phillips kits. Make sure it's the Phillips 3rd generation kit, D2R Bulb Beam pattern corrected for 9004 lights.

Aparently the 1st and 2nd generation kits from Phillips had some issues with 9004 conversions.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by amixam98
Most kits now are less than $500...
amixam98 your wright that most kits today are about $500 but i have been selling the osram kit here on the org for $450 or less for the past 4 or 5 months here. when everyone else wanted over $500 for the kit.

in a few weeks i won't be selling osram hid kits any more because my importer will stop odering them. he has a new set of hid (6000k) which he told me it's better than the osram. will see when they come in.

as for my price $409 if you can pick them up at the store. $425 with shipping and insurance.
Old 12-12-2001, 07:15 AM

Do the aftermarket hid kits kill your beam pattern?
Old 12-12-2001, 07:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 98BlaximaSE
Do the aftermarket hid kits kill your beam pattern?
I'm going to get flamed like a **** for this, but yes. It doesn't kill your beam pattern, the 9004 beam pattern is bad to begin with. Too much of the light is directed upwards due to DOT regulations. All HID does to this problem is magnify it along with the brightness of the lights. It comes down to this - which do you value more, your ability to see or not blinding other drivers? I'm waiting until a headlight is made for the Maxima with a better reflector before I look into HID, but to each his own. You will have much better visibility, but everything's got it's price.
Old 12-12-2001, 07:23 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by 97GLES

in a few weeks i won't be selling osram hid kits any more because my importer will stop odering them. he has a new set of hid (6000k) which he told me it's better than the osram. will see when they come in.

as for my price $409 if you can pick them up at the store. $425 with shipping and insurance.
97GLES how much are the 6000k going to cost? How many of the 4200K do you have in stock? I'm trying to convince my gf to buy it for me for xmas so tell me when you are almost out.
Old 12-12-2001, 08:34 AM
baby_boy21

Originally posted by amixam98

97GLES how much are the 6000k going to cost? How many of the 4200K do you have in stock? I'm trying to convince my gf to buy it for me for xmas so tell me when you are almost out.

Yeah im intrested in the 6000k kit. Im a picky with the lighting on my car and i want the intensity, color, and brightness of that of the mercedes, acura, and audi.

Old 12-12-2001, 11:11 AM

What ever happened to the projector lights that were on here a few weeks ago. Those were great looking but with HID's do I still keep my high beams? I think I need them to pass inspections around here.

SuDZ
Old 12-12-2001, 01:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

DO YOU GUYS WANT BLUE??

If your looking for the nice blue/white appearance of the OEM HID then you won't get it buy just installing these RETROFIT KITS. I have a Philips HID RETRO with Osram D2R xenon burners. I purchased it from PROCARPARTS. The bulbs work fine, but it is no where near the color appearance of OEM HID. This is due to the fact that my 98 maxima has reflectors made for halogen dual filament bulbs. The HID burner is placed in a position that is vertical which destroys the beam pattern. I don't know if there is a kit which corrects this and i heard it is all BS. There is a solution for the blue. CHECK OUT THE PAGE BELOW. These capsules are not available in the U.S. market but can be picked up from JAPAN. I will find out more about it and inform anyone that is interested. The cost is $100 and the cap is really easy to install. THe latest version is B1 type and you don't have to mess with the metal connector which is connected from the gas chamber to the base. The pic below is the old version (B0).

AQUA BLUE CAPS
Old 12-12-2001, 03:57 PM

Re: DO YOU GUYS WANT BLUE??

Originally posted by GVMAX98
If your looking for the nice blue/white appearance of the OEM HID then you won't get it buy just installing these RETROFIT KITS. I have a Philips HID RETRO with Osram D2R xenon burners. I purchased it from PROCARPARTS. The bulbs work fine, but it is no where near the color appearance of OEM HID. This is due to the fact that my 98 maxima has reflectors made for halogen dual filament bulbs. The HID burner is placed in a position that is vertical which destroys the beam pattern. I don't know if there is a kit which corrects this and i heard it is all BS. There is a solution for the blue. CHECK OUT THE PAGE BELOW. These capsules are not available in the U.S. market but can be picked up from JAPAN. I will find out more about it and inform anyone that is interested. The cost is $100 and the cap is really easy to install. THe latest version is B1 type and you don't have to mess with the metal connector which is connected from the gas chamber to the base. The pic below is the old version (B0).

AQUA BLUE CAPS
the 6000k hid will have a blue tint to them. i don't know the price or how they look like. as soon as i get a kit i will post. for now i still have the osram kit which is pure white light.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:17 PM

Is there something you can do to fix the beam pattern with hids?
Old 12-12-2001, 07:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by 98BlaximaSE
Is there something you can do to fix the beam pattern with hids?

I own a 98 maxima and when i got my HID kit i was displeased at the beam pattern. Light scattered everywhere...and yes...the road was lit up 10 times better than halogen bulbs because the defracted light hit all the road signs very white. It was great on the road but to oncoming traffic it was a nightglare. When i looked at my own headlights ... i realized why people were flashing me. It was soooo bright...5 times brighter than the regular halogen high beams. I fixed the problem by lowering the beam level. The 98s have a four adjusters - 2 for each side. You need a hex key to turn the lever. Turn the outer ones to adjust UP and DOWN. Don't mess with inner ones because they adjust the beam LEFT AND RIGHT...unless u need to. I am glad i was able to reduce the glare by lowering the headlight beam. It really had quite an effect on them truck drivers.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by GVMAX98

I own a 98 maxima and when i got my HID kit i was displeased at the beam pattern. Light scattered everywhere...and yes...the road was lit up 10 times better than halogen bulbs because the defracted light hit all the road signs very white. It was great on the road but to oncoming traffic it was a nightglare. When i looked at my own headlights ... i realized why people were flashing me. It was soooo bright...5 times brighter than the regular halogen high beams. I fixed the problem by lowering the beam level. The 98s have a four adjusters - 2 for each side. You need a hex key to turn the lever. Turn the outer ones to adjust UP and DOWN. Don't mess with inner ones because they adjust the beam LEFT AND RIGHT...unless u need to. I am glad i was able to reduce the glare by lowering the headlight beam. It really had quite an effect on them truck drivers.
Sounds sweet, got any before and after pics. And what hid kit you running?