4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

would you trade your i30 for a prelude?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 AM

would you trade your i30 for a prelude?

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/1787887017.html

heres the prelude

I have a 98 i30 its in great condition its an auto with 198k miles

the kbb just happens to coincide pretty close on these two cars.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Yes if the car hasnt been sitting, also check for rust in the engine bay because you know how fast rust grows on the north coast, but if it runs nice, and its the i30 u got for like $100, and you want a sportier car, its a great deal.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:51 AM

ya well how much i got it for is out the window now, ive got it lol.

I havent seen the prelude.

if its the vtec engine though its a 4 cyliender with 190 hp and 160 tq. WOW if not its still pretty cool, i think its a dohc 150 hp 120 tq

its a manual

its older, not as luxurious

I havent seen it yet.

Its just apples and oranges. my i30 is pretty dialed in as far as maintenance ill have to see if his is. He might ask for cash too I cant say
Old 06-12-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by stamar
ya well how much i got it for is out the window now, ive got it lol.

I havent seen the prelude.

if its the vtec engine though its a 4 cyliender with 190 hp and 160 tq. WOW if not its still pretty cool, i think its a dohc 150 hp 120 tq

its a manual

its older, not as luxurious

I havent seen it yet.

Its just apples and oranges. my i30 is pretty dialed in as far as maintenance ill have to see if his is. He might ask for cash too I cant say
Well, if you get it - seriously loose that wing for something more subtle...

Overall, not a bad looking car... hope they maintained it.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Got Retrofit?

Don't do it, that Prelude is ugly as ****.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I like the generation after that one better. I'd personally keep the i30. You'll be kicking yourself later for trading it. A quick google search shows that the VTEC version runs 14.9 on the 1/4 mile... sounds exaggerated but if its true, thats not bad for a lil 4 banger.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 PM

In a weird way, they have similar traits

Old 06-12-2010, 01:20 PM

i dont think it is the vtec model. I cant tell from any badging. If it has a moonroof its a se or si? but the giant wing that should tell me something

my i30 is in pretty sweet condition.

columbian do you mean my i30 and his prelude are similar? Cause they are in a way they both have around 200k, both have a engine replacement. Mine was new though id bet his is rebuilt. My engine really purrs though its still as new.

I cant tell if those black lines are like dirt or sideswipes or stickers on his prelude.

ya its tough because i know my i30 is pretty up to date on everything. Taking on the unknown is tough, like maybe the clutch will go out soon etc

I could kick myself and feel like a retard giving up a car with nothing really wrong with it for an i dont know... just got to see his first and stew on it.
Im single though with no family so the back seats dont really do me any good. I like manuals way better too.

Last edited by stamar; 06-12-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:26 PM

I would keep the i30.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:28 PM

Upon close inspection, those are decals bruh... they enhance the vehicle's aerodynamic by deflecting wind force towards the generously sized spoiler to ensure the vehicle stays planted under blazing speeds.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:52 PM

^

op... don't you DARE go through with this
Old 06-12-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by cartman854
Yes if the car hasnt been sitting, also check for rust in the engine bay because you know how fast rust grows on the north coast, but if it runs nice, and its the i30 u got for like $100, and you want a sportier car, its a great deal.
arent you the kid in eureka?

Ya the prelude is in crescent city about 70 miles away. Just something to think about. I dont know.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:00 PM

ok gonna go ahead and begin my characteristic post whoring.

you will HATE yourself if you do this. trust me. that's not even the good looking predlude, id THINK about this one
Old 06-12-2010, 02:04 PM

Are you kidding me? Trade this car for a 2 seater? Yeah, I am only 5'-9" and if I sit comfortably, there is 2" leg room in the back seat for leg room. I had access to my uncle's prelude until it got stolen and I'd take my i30 over it any day. That prelude is ugly, common and easily & commonly stolen. As for speed, my auto i30 (when it was stock) beat my uncle's vtec manual (stock).

I have nothing against hondas. An accord v6 would be in the same class but since the transmissions are glass, that is out of the picture.

EDIT: from the rear end, that model has the H23a2 engine which is in every way, inferior to the h22a2 vtec model. You are trading for a smaller and slower car.

Last edited by EsQueue; 06-12-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:16 PM

you will HATE yourself if you trade your decently kept up i30 for that prelude. as the other guys said... MAYBE the next gen but not that one. plus if you get that lude youd have to remove decals, wing and those GAWD AWFUL wheels... also, yeah its got a new motor, but that means they crap out really easily and it means it wasnt taken care of either... well most likely it wasnt. plus, from all my honda times and buddies, that generation is slow, ugly, and poor quality...
Old 06-12-2010, 02:22 PM

if its the standard dohc engine its the same as in the accord. 2.2 liter four cylinder?

Thats about as reliable an engine as has ever been in a car. You can hate on hondas forever... Im a nissan guy I have three nissans lol. honda engines dont crap out they are the largest engine manufacturer on earth. Theyre really good.

Ya I dont know lol its two different beasts to compare. I mean think about it Im single hes got a kid so hes like wanting my back seats... I like manuals.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:30 PM

if its the standard dohc engine its the same as in the accord. 2.2 liter four cylinder?

Thats about as reliable an engine as has ever been in a car. You can hate on hondas forever... Im a nissan guy I have three nissans lol. honda engines dont crap out they are the largest engine manufacturer on earth. Theyre really good.

Ya I dont know lol its two different beasts to compare. I mean think about it Im single hes got a kid so hes like wanting my back seats... I like manuals.
If you've already made up your mind. Why ask in a forum? You are not going to convince us that it is a sensible trade no matter what you say. Don't be so quick to throw out the honda hater card. I love hondas FYI. They make insane hp from small engines and keep the engines reliable.

Most honda engines that I know of are Very reliable. The transmissions is what I had issues with. I had a vtec prelude engine in my civic. The first transmission was from the non-vtec engine and that broke. I installed the correct transmission and it developed a grind from 1st - 2nd for no reason. I ended up getting rid of the car because they kept stealing parts from it.

This car will come with a h23 a 2.3 liter not a 2.2 so it has a little more torque than the accord counterpart. Research on the h23a2 engine if you want more information on it. The american vtec model has an h22a2 model which is not what you have.

Last edited by EsQueue; 06-12-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:39 PM

i havent even made up my mind as to whether im going to go look at it.

Just thinking.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:41 PM

yeah i know that honda motors are good! unfortunately those motors arent that great! none of my buddies like those preludes... they are notorious for weak motors... and yeah im a honda guy too... crx and 2 civics personaly. best motors are the d's b's k's and f's...

not to mention everybody and thier grandma has done the honda things... stay unique
Old 06-12-2010, 02:56 PM

i havent even made up my mind as to whether im going to go look at it.

Just thinking.
I usually hate bothering others on their decisions but I can guarantee that you will regret this. Say if I drop all opinions as for looks.

Speed i30
Fuel Prelude (based on my ****ty i30 gas mileage)
Room i30
Security/Theft/ i30
Insurance costs i30
part costs Definitely prelude
Stamar transmission comfort Prelude

I guess if you want dirt cheap replacement parts, the i30 looses hands down. The are also very easy to work on.

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
yeah i know that Honda motors are good! unfortunately those motors aren't that great! none of my buddies like those preludes... they are notorious for weak motors... and yeah I'm a Honda guy too... crx and 2 civics personally. best motors are the d's b's k's and f's...

not to mention everybody and their grandma has done the Honda things... stay unique

First of all, you say you like the f series? The h23a is just a larger dohc f22 engine and is equally reliable. I'll tell you as a someone who had a prelude engine in their car. The only flaw that I can think of in the vtec h22a engine is the timing belt's auto tensioner. That fails but can easily be replaced with the manual tensioner from the non-vtec models. The h22a's walls are made up from FRM (Fiber Reinforced Metal). Great for longevity of the vehicle but bad if you are going to use forged parts. The weakest part of the h22a's engines are the ringlands in boosting applications. N/A they are as reliable as any other.

Make sure that you verify your info before spreading it. Notorious for being weak is quite a statement.

Last edited by EsQueue; 06-12-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:57 PM

my i30 is definitely more beautiful. theres a lot that you cant really see on paper so well wait til i can see it. Id like to see the interior.

ya im 6 3 so i like the front seat room in my maxima a lot. my last dd was a 97 sentra and i cant even sit in it for fun anymore its doing circles around the block in a holding pattern right now.

I love independent suspension and cornering though, handling the prelude kicks ***. The i30 is only faster in a straight line.

ps my i30 gets 28 mpg in mixed driving. I feel like an *** talking about how cool it is but its got a factory new engine that very likely had full synthetic oil since it was replaced.
I dunno im sure i cant get rid of it. Theres something that just doesnt show up on paper when youre looking at mpg and at horsepower, my maxima is really getting close to its horsepower mpg and most used cars arent cause theyre getting tired.

I drove around my friends 2002 acura tl 3.2 which supposedly has 220 hp and 200 tq on top of being lighter and my infiniti smokes it backwards.

Last edited by stamar; 06-12-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:23 PM

unless it was an srv in mint condition with low mileage, i wouldn't do it..
you are going from a full luxury car, that is newer and lesser mileage to a "sports car", with more mileage, older and not as comfy...

need i say more?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by EsQueue

First of all, you say you like the f series? The h23a is just a larger dohc f22 engine and is equally reliable. I'll tell you as a someone who had a prelude engine in their car. The only flaw that I can think of in the vtec h22a engine is the timing belt's auto tensioner. That fails but can easily be replaced with the manual tensioner from the non-vtec models. The h22a's walls are made up from FRM (Fiber Reinforced Metal). Great for longevity of the vehicle but bad if you are going to use forged parts. The weakest part of the h22a's engines are the ringlands in boosting applications. N/A they are as reliable as any other.

Make sure that you verify your info before spreading it. Notorious for being weak is quite a statement.
i only meant in regaurds to power, that they are weak. i guess i could have specified... honda motors are very reliable... well other than thier small flaws i.e. tensioners and timing belts, and of course collision when those go bad... back when i looked into hondas alot more i rarely saw the H series swapped into other vehicles because of the power. most people wanted a d or b series or if they had the money a k... im sure its changed a bit since a few years ago but thats what i remember... also most of that was civic's and crx's...

Last edited by max_dreamer; 06-12-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I keep seeing you say "DOHC, DOHC, DOHC"
the 4th gen came with a few engines; sohc f22a, dohc h23 non-vtec, and dohc h22.
never personally seen a h22 powered one, seen one h23 powered one, and dozens of f22 powered ones.

if it's truly a dohc, either engine is nice (the h22 being more awzum).

prelude is relatively easy to work on, being a 4 banger, leaves adequate room to work around (once intake tube is out of the way).

Since I have never driven/worked on an i30, I can't compare them.

as to digitized's statement about "less comfortable", I find the 4th gen 'lude to have damn comfy buckets; more comfortable than many luxury car's couches. so that comes to preference.
the prelude has a hella good aftermarket, but sh1tty *** forums.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 PM

dont do it man why do u want ramens soup for dinner when u have skirt steak in ur plate

and colombian i would take the aurora
Old 06-12-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
the 4th gen came with a few engines; sohc f22a, dohc h23 non-vtec, and dohc h22.
never personally seen a h22 powered one, seen one h23 powered one, and dozens of f22 powered ones.

if it's truly a dohc, either engine is nice (the h22 being more awzum).

prelude is relatively easy to work on, being a 4 banger, leaves adequate room to work around (once intake tube is out of the way).

Since I have never driven/worked on an i30, I can't compare them.

as to digitized's statement about "less comfortable", I find the 4th gen 'lude to have damn comfy buckets; more comfortable than many luxury car's couches. so that comes to preference.
the prelude has a hella good aftermarket, but sh1tty *** forums.
the 95 only has the h22 and the h23

this particular one is the si, it has the h23a1 with 160 hp and 156 tq. I dont really know what planet a 4 cylinder with 160 hp is weak on lol. Thats intense.

ya i suppose this i30 is also a fourth gen. It has the dohc non nissan vtech vq engine with 190 hp 205 crank torque.

So Id say overall its pretty similar in car tech. I dont even have an idea what the h32 is but i assume it has dis and is just about the same tech wise.

Last edited by stamar; 06-13-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:06 PM

my opinion i wouldn't trade for an prelude.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:19 PM

When are you going to look at this prelude ?
If I was trading my maxima for a Honda product
I would go with an accord v6 either in coupe or sedan
version as they are fast have dual exhaust and are just really
comfy cars.

Of course if an acura tl came along in good shape I would trade for that and pay the difference because one they are cheap becuase of the ginormous recall, the S models have around 260 HP, they get around 30 on the highway with a 3.2 liter engine, and finally they are freakin sexy as hell!!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:23 PM

ya acura tl is pretty much equivalent to a i30. Id pay the difference too they are super nice

ill try and see her prelude tommorow if I can. Im not really worried her prelude is going to sell for 4k I dont think its worth that.

she lives 70 miles away so it might be a bit tough scheduling ive got a few more pictures im waiting on in emails.

Last edited by stamar; 06-12-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 AM

for the 97-01 prelude with 200hp, hell yeah. for this old prelude with 190hp - maybe... its kinda ugly.... unlikely. for this old prelude w 150hp - hells no.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
dont do it man why do u want ramens soup for dinner when u have skirt steak in ur plate
from a butcher for knowing your meat
Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 PM

I wanted a 'Lude but couldn't find a fifth-gen in manual at a decent price, didn't want anything as old as a third-gen, and don't like the fourth-gen. If it's not mileage/space concerns you've got, why bother? You've got a V6, four doors, and good styling. The Prelude has none of these things and will get stolen within an hour of your buying it.

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
and colombian i would take the aurora
THREADJACK: TBH I really like the styling of the first-gen Aurora. If it weren't for reliability issues I'd consider it a Pretty Sweet Ride. The second-gen Aurora really lost it, though.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:51 PM

OT: On the Honda reliability issue. As far as I know, their engines are tough. All manufactures have issues in certain models. As for Hondas I personally knew some with a 2001 civic that went through 2 auto transmissions. I was in the market for a 2000 2 door v6 accord as I love those models. While searching craigslist, I noticed a large number of them claiming that they have rebuilt the transmission. I'm talking about low miles too.

I then did some question asking on Honda-tech and searched goggle and found this.
http://www.hondaproblems.com/Accord/...-failure.shtml

Click each year starting from 2000 after you are done. Check out the civic section to the left and see what I mean.

Honda Odyssey and Pilot along with Accra TL, CL, and MDX also suffered problems. That IMO lowers Honda from the reliable pedestal. Toyota? I'm not even going to comment.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 PM
SLOW

i sure as **** wouldn't trade for that piece of crap ricer monstrosity. a Lude VTEC without all that ricer **** on it perhaps, but that car you posted fvcking sucks.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:21 PM

It's gonna be slowwwww
Old 06-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
I30 is DOHC too.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 PM

ya i kept saying dohc because i like dohc lol i believe in its technology. Dohc is sweet. When I got my first dohc car which was a mazda protege, I never wanted to go back from there. you just cant compare the hp numbers of a sohc and dohc engine its like it hits another gear at high rev.

During these years which is the mid 90s honda actually sold a lot of sohc engines. I dont ever want any of those i think they are lame.

i wouldnt want a sohc prelude. I miss my g20 I want something that is at least as zippy as that.
Theres also sohc vtec honda made too that seems retarded. Something really new to sell something really old. correct me if Im wrong some car guy, but honda still sells sohc vtec engines today. theres something retarded about that, I dont think nissan or toyota sell sohc engines.( or mitsubishi or suburu or your mama or hotwheels)

nissan cars are almost all dohc by 95. Im not positive but I own two of them, ive got a sentra and a maxima(i30). I also owned a 91 infiniti g20 it was dohc.... i cant think of a model nissan had that could have been sohc in the 90s. nissan has way fewer motors to offer than honda so just in this past year ive owned a ga 1.6 a vq3.0 and a sr20d thats one of every model except for the altima ...240sx. 300zx is in the same years its dohc. All nissan cars are dohc by the early 90s im almost sure.

maybe the quest? Im just not getting a picture of what engine that uses. the old *** quest has some v6 thing

edit bingo the nissan quest used the sohc vg30 engine thats the sohc nissan in the 90s there is one.sohc until 2002

Last edited by stamar; 06-13-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 PM

Stamar, do you race out at Samoa? I'm from Fortuna, live in Oregon now. My parents still live there, and dad runs a 68 Nova at the strip. The old fart on the phone is my Pop.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by EsQueue
I usually hate bothering others on their decisions but I can guarantee that you will regret this. Say if I drop all opinions as for looks.

Speed i30
Fuel Prelude (based on my ****ty i30 gas mileage)
Room i30
Security/Theft/ i30
Insurance costs i30
part costs Definitely prelude
Stamar transmission comfort Prelude

I guess if you want dirt cheap replacement parts, the i30 looses hands down. The are also very easy to work on.

not too sure about that one, parts for our cars are extremely cheap, hondas can actually cost a pretty penny, so i would consider them equal, unless u are talking about aftermarket even then i wouldnt be quick to give it up to the lude.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Stamar, do you race out at Samoa? I'm from Fortuna, live in Oregon now. My parents still live there, and dad runs a 68 Nova at the strip. The old fart on the phone is my Pop.
[car photos]
Is that Nova DOHC? I only like DOHC Novas.

Quick Reply: would you trade your i30 for a prelude?