4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

random chugging sound when starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM

random chugging sound when starting

ok here goes i have tried many things i have seen work for other guys with similar problems from other threads i can't seem to fix this. so far i cleaned MAF, TB, checked battery volt, alt is new, changed spark plugs, changed ETCS, changed Knock sensor(earned my scar!) it happens when i am turning it over randomly more when shes cold if i keep holding the key (a bit longer than i normally would) it slows a bit other times it starts. if it does it and i let go i can push the gas 1/3 to get it fire over then i just let go and the idle resumes car runs great after that, does not change if i let the fuel pump prime (even a couple on off of the key) it would idle rough too but cleaning the MAF/TB made her idle smooth now. i am running out of ideas and next parts are expensive to just throw at the problem. also...i have a couple of leaks in the exaust one at flex other b-pipe to muffler connection. shes a 98 142k no engine mods (yet).

(changed knock due to ghost code)

FIXED! so it was the starter! i am happy this was the easiest starter i have ever replaced! two bolts no shims thank you .org for the writeups went great! It did not sound like the starter issues i have heard before but the exhaust is also getting loud so maybe thats why i didnt pick up on it! Just got the car so i didnt know the difference but it turns over soooo much faster now! Got the part from autozone my bro works there so i only paid $100 with his discount. I do not like autozone parts however its lifetime warr and easy to swap local ect. so... im fine with it. Next project is exhaust and poly bushings all around!

Last edited by Br0nz; 06-23-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: FIXED MY MAX!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Br0nz
ok here goes i have tried many things i have seen work for other guys with similar problems from other threads i can't seem to fix this. so far i cleaned MAF, TB, checked battery volt, alt is new, changed spark plugs, changed ETCS, changed Knock sensor(earned my scar!) it happens when i am turning it over randomly more when shes cold if i keep holding the key (a bit longer than i normally would) it slows a bit other times it starts. if it does it and i let go i can push the gas 1/3 to get it fire over then i just let go and the idle resumes car runs great after that, does not change if i let the fuel pump prime (even a couple on off of the key) it would idle rough too but cleaning the MAF/TB made her idle smooth now. i am running out of ideas and next parts are expensive to just throw at the problem. also...i have a couple of leaks in the exaust one at flex other b-pipe to muffler connection. shes a 98 142k no engine mods (yet).

(changed knock due to ghost code)
Could be your catalytic converter (that's what was wrong with mine - though I had slightly different issues arise from mine - stalling, sputtering, no power, etc) - this is the first thing that I encountered, I just thought 'old car' and continued with it.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
Could be your catalytic converter (that's what was wrong with mine - though I had slightly different issues arise from mine - stalling, sputtering, no power, etc) - this is the first thing that I encountered, I just thought 'old car' and continued with it.

looks like i might as well do a manifold back (is that really a term lol) any sugestions? i want stock sound but i will delete the precats! i wanted an excuse to do ypipe its already leaky. i checked ebay i wanna find a (cheap as possible) SS all from one please so it bolts up if its a cheaper one. i dont want ricey and i dont want highflow cat incase i dont pass emissions

wouldnt i smell it if it was the cat... or not necessarily... i think i just answered that
Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 PM

looks like i might as well do a manifold back (is that really a term lol) any sugestions? i want stock sound but i will delete the precats! i wanted an excuse to do ypipe its already leaky. i checked ebay i wanna find a (cheap as possible) SS all from one please so it bolts up if its a cheaper one. i dont want ricey and i dont want highflow cat incase i dont pass emissions

wouldnt i smell it if it was the cat... or not necessarily... i think i just answered that
Well, with emissions testing - you will have to have it done right, so you'll need a good catalytic converter to replace your stock one. I wish I could afford to replace my whole exhaust.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
Well, with emissions testing - you will have to have it done right, so you'll need a good catalytic converter to replace your stock one. I wish I could afford to replace my whole exhaust.

i really cant thats the thing... i was gonna get 149 (not ss ) catback then 199 (not ss) y pipe and reuse the cat now im screwed. anyone know a good way to test the cat? ... or have anyother ideas on what this prob could be (a bit of wishful thinking on my part)
Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 AM

check the tranny side CKPS and see if its fouled. Also, Clean the two ground points on the UIM. jus take a wire brush and clean the surface.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:09 PM

i really cant thats the thing... i was gonna get 149 (not ss ) catback then 199 (not ss) y pipe and reuse the cat now im screwed. anyone know a good way to test the cat? ... or have anyother ideas on what this prob could be (a bit of wishful thinking on my part)
Quickest way is to pull the cat off of the car - tip the 'front' of the cat down - anything pours out - it's bad. I found them new OEM type for as low as $70 and as much as $250, so shop around to find one.