4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ebay Springs? They're cheap but are they good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 AM

Ebay Springs? They're cheap but are they good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=280521796082

I just saw these while I was browsing Ebay for parts in my spare time at work , anyone ever use these/heard anything about these?

Also, I have what probably is a simple question to answer but when I drop my car i'm going to replace the shocks also, keeping a budget in mind right now do I have to go with a performance shock like a KYB, Illumina, HP, ect? Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 AM

gotta do a SEARCH my man....there is more info in the threads and FAQ than ppl will respond to here.

That being sd,

Those springs are too agressive for any of those struts u mentioned. Jus get the tokico blue spring and strut kit and u good. Maxspeed make good springs too.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
gotta do a SEARCH my man....there is more info in the threads and FAQ than ppl will respond to here.

That being sd,

Those springs are too agressive for any of those struts u mentioned. Jus get the tokico blue spring and strut kit and u good. Maxspeed make good springs too.
I apologize, I did throw that in the search bar before making this thread but I didn't see the answer anywhere, I'll look again
Old 06-23-2010, 10:27 AM

Dont worry bout it. I say SEARCh cuz there really is alot of good info on what to get and read about other ppl experience. most of those ppl prolly wont post to this thread cuz there are sooooo many suspension threads.

Hell jus search kyb and u will get lots of info.

there is a suspension thread created by sudz back in the day. Or check the FAQs. they will answer all yur questions.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:29 AM

and another thing...no name exhaust or intake is one thing. No name suspension is MUCH different. Dont get no name suspension parts.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Boosted Panda

That being sd,

A drop of 2"+ would work with the KYB AGX or Tokico Illuminas.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
A drop of 2"+ would work with the KYB AGX or Tokico Illuminas.
A drop of 2+ inches doesn't work PEROID on our spring and strut suspension setup.

If you want to be that low, invest in coilovers.

To the OP.

YGWYP4. A $70 (2+") lowering/sport spring is junk.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
A drop of 2+ inches doesn't work PEROID on our spring and strut suspension setup.

If you want to be that low, invest in coilovers.

To the OP.

YGWYP4. A $70 (2+") lowering/sport spring is junk.
Sure it will, it will work in regards to not kiling the struts.
Im sure your refering to the limited amount of suspension travel going with such an aggressive drop on springs resulting in bottoming out. Which can occur.
I rode on sprints and AGX for years and never had any bottoming out issues.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:55 PM

That being sd,

OP wasn't asking about Maxspeed, Tokico - he was asking about the springs he linked to.

Originally Posted by Cmaxima
I apologize, I did throw that in the search bar before making this thread but I didn't see the answer anywhere, I'll look again
Dont worry bout it. I say SEARCh cuz there really is alot of good info on what to get and read about other ppl experience. most of those ppl prolly wont post to this thread cuz there are sooooo many suspension threads.

Hell jus search kyb and u will get lots of info.

there is a suspension thread created by sudz back in the day. Or check the FAQs. they will answer all yur questions.
Again OP wasn't asking about KYB ... but rather the ones he linked to.

and another thing...no name exhaust or intake is one thing. No name suspension is MUCH different. Dont get no name suspension parts.
Option Racing is NOT a no name suspension... it's Option Racing.

Sure it will, it will work in regards to not kiling the struts.
Im sure your refering to the limited amount of suspension travel going with such an aggressive drop on springs resulting in bottoming out. Which can occur.
Jeez about the 6th reply before the OP gets a good answer...

Seriously - 2" is fairly aggressive drop - However, I've seen IN PERSON a Maxima with a 2.5" drop and it was awesome looking.

On springs what you really need to find out is the compression ratio in comparison to what you currently have - this will tell you how 'drivable' the car will/won't be with the chosen springs.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
OP wasn't asking about Maxspeed, Tokico - he was asking about the springs he linked to.

Again OP wasn't asking about KYB ... but rather the ones he linked to.

Option Racing is NOT a no name suspension... it's Option Racing.

Jeez about the 6th reply before the OP gets a good answer...

Seriously - 2" is fairly aggressive drop - However, I've seen IN PERSON a Maxima with a 2.5" drop and it was awesome looking.

On springs what you really need to find out is the compression ratio in comparison to what you currently have - this will tell you how 'drivable' the car will/won't be with the chosen springs.

The first response made by cashoit stated that the springs in the link were too agressive for the struts the OP had mentioned pairing them up with.
He then offered refrence to springs of higher quality then the ones he linked to.
My repsonse to cashoit mentioned that an adjustable strut (KYBs and Illuminas) would hold up to such a drop.
Also, when stating that Option Racing is a no name brand, he was refering to them not being a big name in the suspenion world, hence a no name company.
All of the comments made were all in refrence to the springs the OP orignally linked to.

Many cars on here have a 2" drop using springs. The rest of us have a greater drop, but we are on coilovers.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 06-23-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:34 PM

The first response made by cashoit stated that the springs in the link were too agressive for the struts the OP had mentioned pairing them up with.
He then offered refrence to springs of higher quality then the ones he linked to.
My repsonse to cashoit mentioned that an adjustable strut (KYBs and Illuminas) would hold up to such a drop.
Also, when stating that Option Racing is a no name brand, he was refering to them not being a big name in the suspenion world, hence a no name company.
All of the comments made were all in refrence to the springs the OP orignally linked to.

Many cars on here have a 2" drop using springs. The rest of us have a greater drop, but we are on coilovers.

agreed.

If you plan on buying cheap springs with oem struts, dont go with a drop of 1.4" or lower. If you get tokico's or agx's, you can get a more aggressive drop such as 2". However, if you buy no name springs, expect your car to ride a bit more rough.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:01 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

tein s techs and KYB GR-2 struts.... from over 3000 miles on them now i gotta say if the road is flat its fine....a few bumps and holy crap its a roller coaster ride she doesnt stay planted at all....
Old 06-23-2010, 08:57 PM

Another suspension thread gone wrong....

Last edited by aackshun; 06-23-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:24 PM

there's still questions about suspension

half the threads on this org are on suspension and intakes please stop asking questions they've all been answered LOOK FOR IT
Old 06-23-2010, 09:46 PM

i got the eibach springs. i'm not 100% sure of how much it dropped my car but i think it was 2". i live in a rural area and now i smack everytime i accidentally hit a pothole or speedbumps. kinda of a bummer you gotta be mad careful.

point is with a 2.25" drop your going to really have to take into account your surroundings. also be on the look out. i personally wouldnt want that kind of worry on my mind while i'm cruisin if you know what i'm sayin.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Doomi30
i got the eibach springs. i'm not 100% sure of how much it dropped my car but i think it was 2". i live in a rural area and now i smack everytime i accidentally hit a pothole or speedbumps. kinda of a bummer you gotta be mad careful.

point is with a 2.25" drop your going to really have to take into account your surroundings. also be on the look out. i personally wouldnt want that kind of worry on my mind while i'm cruisin if you know what i'm sayin.
Just curious what you mean by smack. Im a lot lower than a eibach drop with coilovers and a front lip and dont have problems unless it involves slanted surfaces.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 PM

any sort of pothole is murder if i'm not paying attention. my best friend has a dirt driveway i cant get up because i'll scrape. going into a lot of different parking lots i have to go incredibly carefully or ill practically teeter-totter on it. also downtown in my city there's a lot of uneven cobblestone that my car cant handle.

i'm not saying i regret my decision to drop, because it looks sick. i'm just saying its always in the back of my mind and tends to cause a little anxiety on whether or not i can make it in some entrances and such.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 AM

any sort of pothole is murder if i'm not paying attention. my best friend has a dirt driveway i cant get up because i'll scrape. going into a lot of different parking lots i have to go incredibly carefully or ill practically teeter-totter on it. also downtown in my city there's a lot of uneven cobblestone that my car cant handle.

i'm not saying i regret my decision to drop, because it looks sick. i'm just saying its always in the back of my mind and tends to cause a little anxiety on whether or not i can make it in some entrances and such.

How do you teter toter on a 2 inch drop?! Thats crazy, its not THAT low
Old 06-24-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Another suspension thread gone wrong....

+1

Thats why i told hime to jus SEARCH. The OP obviously doesnt kno much about the subject cuz he is showing us lesser brand springs. Option Racing makes knock off secondhand shyt. See their exhausts. He dont want that. At least not for springs.

Best bet is to get the tokico blues kit w/ the springs and bang he is done. All the benefits of lowered ride, quality parts, and no clearance issues.

Last edited by cashoit; 06-24-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:51 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=280521796082

I just saw these while I was browsing Ebay for parts in my spare time at work , anyone ever use these/heard anything about these?

Also, I have what probably is a simple question to answer but when I drop my car i'm going to replace the shocks also, keeping a budget in mind right now do I have to go with a performance shock like a KYB, Illumina, HP, ect? Correct me if I'm wrong

Replacing the shocks when aggressively lowering the maxima is always encouraged since you'll be replacing them anyway. As for the ebay springs I haven't had any first-hand experience with them but it's best to mod right the first time around rather than mod twice.

So don't cheap out!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:55 PM

^ Hey someone else can stay on topic! Awesome!! But...

MOST of you guys CLEARLY missed the question.

The OP did search (and so did I), NO ONE has used these springs before and posted about them.

To the OP, you're gonna have to take a leap for the .org, this could be another dropzone hit or miss type product, buy it, report back results!! (But keep your old suspension just incase the worst happens).

Your strut question has been answered already.

But to sum it up. See below.

You can ride whatever strut you want for a period of time. Many people have ridden stock struts on a 2" without any real problems if they take the extra steps (eg. cutting bump stops). Hell, I just had this discussion via PM w/ someone else because his thread went to the gutter w/ allot of people chiming in without reading the OP. The person found stock struts w/ a lifetime warranty for like under $140 iirc, you can have a whole suspension setup for around $200???! That's pretty damn good in my opinion, I'd take a chance on that, while saving up for a better setup (That answer can be attained through search).

Enjoy modding.

Last edited by aackshun; 06-24-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:22 PM

I do appreciate everyone who actually read the original post and gave some worth while feedback, but I think i've ruled out those springs after discussing it with some of my buddies at work.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING

half the threads on this org are on suspension and intakes please stop asking questions they've all been answered LOOK FOR IT
I think that's just a little exaggerated
Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 PM

H&R sports ftw
Old 06-24-2010, 02:31 PM

I have set my sights on Gr-2's, but springs are still up in the air, I'll check out the H&R's
Old 06-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Boosted Panda

I find this hard to believe with Eibachs. They are good springs, but dont go now where near two inches, they lower the front 1.5" and the rears 1.3".
For your car to teeter totter like that means your suspension is stiff as board and isnt really working at all.

^ Hey someone else can stay on topic! Awesome!! But...

MOST of you guys CLEARLY missed the question.

The OP did search (and so did I), NO ONE has used these springs before and posted about them.

To the OP, you're gonna have to take a leap for the .org, this could be another dropzone hit or miss type product, buy it, report back results!! (But keep your old suspension just incase the worst happens).

Your strut question has been answered already.

But to sum it up. See below.

You can ride whatever strut you want for a period of time. Many people have ridden stock struts on a 2" without any real problems if they take the extra steps (eg. cutting bump stops). Hell, I just had this discussion via PM w/ someone else because his thread went to the gutter w/ allot of people chiming in without reading the OP. The person found stock struts w/ a lifetime warranty for like under $140 iirc, you can have a whole suspension setup for around $200???! That's pretty damn good in my opinion, I'd take a chance on that, while saving up for a better setup (That answer can be attained through search).

Enjoy modding.
This is true, but most dont buy new OEM struts, they simply just throw springs on with their already worn OEM struts, thus resulting in quickly blown struts.
Honestly, why go through the labor more then you have to when you could simply just be patient and spend a bit more and be done with it the first time. Doesnt make since to me to spend money once, and then continue to save up only to relace it shortly after with a better setup.
Also, I dont get how you can have a whole suspension setup for around $200 if stock struts are 140.00. Are you saying he got all four for 140.00? Also, it takes more then just struts and spring to have a whole new suspension setup.
The OP was asking about those Ebay springs and about struts to go with them.
Many offered suggestions on better alternatives being that he seems new, and unsure about suspension parts based on their experinces. Seems on topic to me.
I for one am not one to cheap out on parts such as suspenion. Cheap no name springs have been known to sag and cause other issues.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Boosted Panda

I have set my sights on Gr-2's, but springs are still up in the air, I'll check out the H&R's
I think you will be happy with those springs. They wont "slam" your car. But they will lower it a bit, and still maintain a decent ride.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:12 PM

I think you will be happy with those springs. They wont "slam" your car. But they will lower it a bit, and still maintain a decent ride.
From what I've read and seen in the 4th gen drop thread I like those best.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 PM

well i do have an appointment to get my front end fixed because i failed inspection on it so i very well might have a bigger problem than i thought which could attribute to my issues. haha. its not all of the time, just on entrances to parking lots that have a big ol' ramp thing. it may of come off as exaggerating just a bit but i do have problems scraping on speed bumps and bottoming out on potholes that sneak up on me. its just something i worry about haha

when i bought the springs off of my buddy i was told they were 2," but i guess not ...bummer. haha
Old 06-25-2010, 08:14 AM

Enjoy modding.

@ the above statement.

Yo Aack man, u want the kid to try out some obviously low-budget 2" drop springs lol?? I am reminded of the thread with the pic of the blown dropzone springs. Looked more like a twisted pretzel than a spring lol.

To OP:

I was on the Tokico website and the springs that come with the illuminas are 1.5" in the front 1.3" in the back. I know u can go lower with those struts. BUT the question is How long would it last with 2+ drop???

I agree with flava, dont cheap out on suspension.

Last edited by cashoit; 06-25-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 AM

If you do want tokico blues

buying that package deal, the tokico springs are actually 100$. You have to buy 4 struts though.
Cheaper than these ebay ones really.
If you want tokico struts thats the only way to go. I never figured out who makes tokico springs but its some name brand Im pretty sure.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Dont buy junk suspension. Its that simple. There are times you can skimp on parts. Dampers and springs are not on of them.

Bull ****. A local guy had KYBs and Sprints. They sit on the bump stops while parked. Ive tested countless setups and a 2" drop has NO travel. Ive got all kinds of info and pix in my CSK thread.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:10 AM

Honestly i have cut springs and my friend has those same ebay springs and my car handles and rides better. Thats say enough? And before any flaming goes on im getting coilovers soon so i could care less about my struts or springs. But id get megan springs instead of those cheap ebay springs, they are are much stiffer and offer better handling.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING

says the noob, and hes right!!! SEARCH YOU LAZY AZZ GOOD FOR NOTHING MAMA'S BOYS, SEARCH!!! jebus.....
Old 06-26-2010, 10:42 AM

kiss my *** max ride 41
Old 06-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by JSutter
Dont buy junk suspension. Its that simple. There are times you can skimp on parts. Dampers and springs are not on of them.

Bull ****. A local guy had KYBs and Sprints. They sit on the bump stops while parked. Ive tested countless setups and a 2" drop has NO travel. Ive got all kinds of info and pix in my CSK thread.
Maybe, but mine never did. Was he auto? When parked next to a buddy of mine with the exact same setup he was a bit lower, in the front at least.
My ride was stiff and harsh, but it didnt bottom out. It wasnt the best setup, but at the time of purchasing it coilovers werent as available as they are now. The only ones that were, were the GC.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:15 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Maybe, but mine never did. Was he auto? When parked next to a buddy of mine with the exact same setup he was a bit lower, in the front at least.
My ride was stiff and harsh, but it didnt bottom out. It wasnt the best setup, but at the time of purchasing it coilovers werent as available as they are now. The only ones that were, were the GC.
I know exactly what you're describing. I installed the same setup on a friends 4th gen. The ride is stiff, but not as bad as people make it out to be.

As far as bottoming out goes. I personally think it is bottoming out, but since the KYB AGX can more effectively dampen (I guess thats the word to use) the ride, it doesnt slam the bumpstop as hard as it would with factory shocks/struts.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The Sprints were on a 95 5spd. Looked cool, rode like ****. Different spring I know, but another buddy had stech/illuminas on his 99 5spd, on the bumps too. Ride was surprisingly smooth considering. It still rode like crap. My cousin has a 2002 auto with stech/HP, again on the bumps and bouncy. We cant go past 2" without the right mods. I dont even recommend anything lower than Progress' 1.7".
Old 06-29-2010, 12:30 AM

This is true, but most dont buy new OEM struts, they simply just throw springs on with their already worn OEM struts, thus resulting in quickly blown struts.
Honestly, why go through the labor more then you have to when you could simply just be patient and spend a bit more and be done with it the first time. Doesnt make since to me to spend money once, and then continue to save up only to relace it shortly after with a better setup.
[Define shortly, weeks, months, years? For me it's gonna be near 2 years for me finally replacing my current setup (Januaray '11 is my goal)]

Also, I dont get how you can have a whole suspension setup for around $200 if stock struts are 140.00. Are you saying he got all four for 140.00? Also, it takes more then just struts and spring to have a whole new suspension setup.
[Ok, you got me there, I mean Struts/Springs]
The OP was asking about those Ebay springs and about struts to go with them.
Many offered suggestions on better alternatives being that he seems new, and unsure about suspension parts based on their experinces. Seems on topic to me.
[Disagreeing here, he asked if anyone has used the springs in question, and asked for strut suggestions, for us to simply ASSUME what he meant is just wrong and is the problem with MOST threads here, some people cannot clearly state what they want, some people can, to me the OP seemed clear and direct, and then the usual org nonsense ensued]
I for one am not one to cheap out on parts such as suspenion. Cheap no name springs have been known to sag and cause other issues.
[any spring will sag over time... Now I know you have more than just this tiny community here backing your opinion so I won't peck at that, but hey, there are MANY people riding dz's and other cheap springs w/o cracking/breaking problems. Hell, just as many people with broken coilover setups that are waiting on a rebuild... Pick and chose your battles pending your wallet, all of us can't ball like you man... well not yet ]
@ the above statement.

Yo Aack man, u want the kid to try out some obviously low-budget 2" drop springs lol?? I am reminded of the thread with the pic of the blown dropzone springs. Looked more like a twisted pretzel than a spring lol.

To OP:

I was on the Tokico website and the springs that come with the illuminas are 1.5" in the front 1.3" in the back. I know u can go lower with those struts. BUT the question is How long would it last with 2+ drop???

I agree with flava, dont cheap out on suspension.
Mine are still fine. Don't let isolated incidents make up your whole mind, with that mind set I'm surprised you still own a maxima?! I've heard of alternator fires, coil pack woes, and our awesome side air bags randomly going off, jumping timing, horrible oil leaking problems... yet you still own this car?! Oh wait, you just pick and choose which isolated incidents to ignore and take risk accordingly... You can't have it both ways.

illuminas + s.techs have lasted 4 years on a car that has put on considerable mileage over those years... those S.techs are saggin nowadays too lol.

Meh.... the .org and it's suspension.

Originally Posted by JSutter
...We cant go past 2" without the right mods. ...
Wahh?

I think you mean you can't have a good ride/handling past 2" w/o the right mods, right? Been in too many 2"+ maximas now many different setups, I've finally worked out my kinks (big *** tires, now I need a fender rolling).

Last edited by aackshun; 06-29-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 AM

Those are good springs. GR-2's from what i read are ok. Either way u shd be straight with that combo

Quick Reply: Ebay Springs? They're cheap but are they good?