4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Auto shift knob info

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:13 PM

Auto shift **** info

I recently had the console apart in my '97 GLE and by the time I went to put it back together I somehow screwed up the overdrive button!
Basically it wouldn't stay in to enagage overdrive so for a few days I was driving it around with a wide rubber band holding the button in.
Then I went to price a used shift **** and that turned out to be $60 because the guy was selling it with the whole shift mechanism. Meanwhile I found another one, less conveniently located, that was only $20.
I hate replacing anything without having made some effort to fix what I already have so tonight I decided to try and fix my current overdrive button.
I won't bore anyone with all the details so, long story short, it turns out that the OD button can be just "popped out" of the shift **** without even removing the ****! You have to do it at the plastic housing that surrounds the moving button.
Then I took the switch apart. It took me a couple minutes to figure out the issue but in the end it was really quite simple. The switch snapped together cleanly and I am once again happily driving down the road in OD.
If anyone else has ever had a similar problem but would like more details on how to proceed, let me know.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:55 PM

It would be great for you to put up a pic procedure of what you did so that all .org members can benefit from it....especially the newbies.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:18 PM

Ok, here goes;

I took the shift **** off for these pictures because I wanted to take it off to install a connector to the OD switch anyway but it can easily be done without taking the **** off.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jdooley
I recently had the console apart in my '97 GLE and by the time I went to put it back together I somehow screwed up the overdrive button!
Basically it wouldn't stay in to enagage overdrive so for a few days I was driving it around with a wide rubber band holding the button in.
Then I went to price a used shift **** and that turned out to be $60 because the guy was selling it with the whole shift mechanism. Meanwhile I found another one, less conveniently located, that was only $20.
I hate replacing anything without having made some effort to fix what I already have so tonight I decided to try and fix my current overdrive button.
I won't bore anyone with all the details so, long story short, it turns out that the OD button can be just "popped out" of the shift **** without even removing the ****! You have to do it at the plastic housing that surrounds the moving button.
Then I took the switch apart. It took me a couple minutes to figure out the issue but in the end it was really quite simple. The switch snapped together cleanly and I am once again happily driving down the road in OD.
If anyone else has ever had a similar problem but would like more details on how to proceed, let me know.
I have a 1997 Maxima. My OD only works when the button is out and when I pull the shift lever back against the stop. When it's cold, the pull is easy, when it's warm you have to pull hard. Is this a button problem or is it lower in the circuit?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 PM

I can't say I know exactly what your problem because it is not the same as what I experienced but here is my two cents:
The OD button is purely an electrical switch and as such should not affect the mechanical workings of the shift mechanism and in case it is not clear, when the button is out, OD is OFF and the indicator on the cluster will come on and you will only shift through three gears instead of four.
Regarding your problem, I would look for signs of rubbing around the gearshift area and lubricate sliding or rotating joints with oil or white grease, silicone spray for plastic on plastic.
I find your explanation confusing, are you speaking of the button you press just to move the lever into gear or the OD button just below? Also, what do you mean by "pull it back against the stop", does that mean until the lever is in the "1" position?
Keep in mind that OD only works in the "D" position even though the OD light in the cluster is on, it has no effect in the 2 or 1 position