4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Racingline Tower Bars Interest Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:17 AM

Racingline Tower Bars Interest Thread

OK, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep the flaming and bashing to a minimum! This is simply an interest thread to see exactly how many people are out there that could be interested in purchasing a FSTB and/or RSTB from Racingline Performance. Although they are not in production at this point in time, I believe if we show a good turn out here we may be able to get one made for us. After all the 3 newer generations all have RSB's (rear sway bars, not strut) and FSTB's... I'm also going to explain exactly why I would like to see these bars in production rather than whats available currently... If you pop in to say "just get an eBay one" or "to expensive" or even "just get Stillen, it's the best!" well you'll see why I don't like them.

The Racingline strut bars are, what I believe to be, the best design for a strut bar. Each bar is flat and wide with a the bolt going through the entire width of the bar. Each tower mount also appears to be a much more solid and wide design. This, correct me if i'm wrong, would more evenly distribute the torsion from the body. Not to mention looking 100X better than the last minute idea, $15, generic strut bars that are everywhere else!

A couple pics from their website for the A33

The eBay bars and even the Stillen bars have a somewhat wide bar that tappers down at the ends to a smaller mounting point... The eBay bars tend to be a threaded i-bolt into the lateral bar then another bolt through that to the mounts. Stillen eliminated that for a solid bar that just tapers down quite a bit. See pics below...

eBay

Stillen

So with design and price in mind, I feel that the 4th gen community, being as big as it is, deserves a strut bar that outperforms and outlooks the competition. Sure eBay's are only $15, but do you want that weak shauty looking thing under your hood!? If your like me, and a ton of other guys on here, and you actually "pay to play", then no you don't. Which brings me to Stillen! Sure it's a great company, with a lot of products for our cars! But why pay $190 for something that can be done better for half the cost. The name isn't worth that much to me!

So come on guys, lets get the list going! I'll be adding my name first!

And Racingline, if you happen to see this there are some things i'd like you to consider if you design this for us!
1. those people with the 3.5 swaps!
2. those people with the 00vi swaps!
3. both those above, with NWP spacers!
those three mods are somewhat common and may affect the mounting position of the bars!

Oh, and mods, if you lock it, no biggie! I just wanted to voice my opinion and see if we could get something done about the lack of good tower bracing for us! I'm sure it's been done to death but i'm still not satisfied!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:18 AM

The list!!!

1. max_dreamer (FSTB, RSTB - ready to buy)
Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
The list!!!

1. max_dreamer (FSTB, RSTB - ready to buy)

Ok, I dont like to bash or Flame anyone....but a strut bar is a strut bar. As long as its not made outta plastic, you will be fine. I have a cheapo fleabay bar and its fine. Hell some ppl will even go as far to say that strut bars dont do that much especially for the cost. I paid 15 bucks for mine and it works absoluelty fine

All i can say is, why pay more for no name brand. If u wanna go cheap, get ebay. If u wanna go name brand, get Stillen. Unless u doing 90 deg turns at 100 mph, at which u wd prolly blow entire suspension anyway or jus flip the car over, strut bar only gonna help so much.

IBTL....YUP!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:24 AM

Its a good idea, but ive gotta agree with cashoit. Ive got an ebay strut bar and its just fine. Like he said, billet aluminum is the same no matter what. As long as its not plastic, itll work the same.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:50 AM

I think a RSTB would be more marketable. I might even buy one if it's around 50 bucks.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:11 AM

I have a Stillen FSTB that clears my 00VI by a few tenths of an inch maybe. I am not sure if the eBay one fits, but honestly, I think that a good looking strut tower bar complements the engine bay nicely.

I know that it is just a piece of metal keeping the two strut towers together, but if its something middle of the road (price wise) between ebay and Stillen, I think that you would get some interest from the 4th gen crowd.

Anyone remember Cattman's that was over $200? I think that someing around $80 for a Racingline that resembles that of the 5.5 gen one would be feasable.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Seems to me that ALL of those disigns share a commomn flaw. If you want rigidity, you should have a one piece design rather than have the brackets attach to the cross brace with a single bolt. Those designs would allow some flex. Kinda like a control arm or cross link, rather than brace. The home made RSB posetd somewher here looks better than most of the "Pro" jobs.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 AM

id spend 100 bucks on a pair
Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
I have a Stillen FSTB that clears my 00VI by a few tenths of an inch maybe. I am not sure if the eBay one fits, but honestly, I think that a good looking strut tower bar complements the engine bay nicely.

I know that it is just a piece of metal keeping the two strut towers together, but if its something middle of the road (price wise) between ebay and Stillen, I think that you would get some interest from the 4th gen crowd.

Anyone remember Cattman's that was over $200? I think that someing around $80 for a Racingline that resembles that of the 5.5 gen one would be feasable.
As for the Stillen and 00vi, thats exactly the kind of stuff im talking about. The bars are thrown together and not thought out. Thats what im asking for! Theres almost no way that thing could clear all the different mods out there, from bigger TB's or Spacers or maybe even 3.5's... We need a bar that does the job no matter what!

And honestly, my biggest reason to fight for a bar like this is exactly what you said! "I think that a good looking strut tower bar complements the engine bay nicely"... The build quality isnt there in any of our bars, and why not have the looks to go with it. Im betting that few MOTM's or guys heavy into their mods didnt settle for eBay... So lets give them something better...

Originally Posted by asand1
Seems to me that ALL of those disigns share a commomn flaw. If you want rigidity, you should have a one piece design rather than have the brackets attach to the cross brace with a single bolt. Those designs would allow some flex. Kinda like a control arm or cross link, rather than brace. The home made RSB posetd somewher here looks better than most of the "Pro" jobs.
Very true! A solid one piece design would be far better and if they made it that way id still pick them up! Only problem I see with that is that the angle at which the bends would have to be in order to clear out intake manifolds and mods would be insanely large and therefore allowing more flex... No matter which way they could end up doing it, the wider bar is a cleaner stronger design.

And for those that still say the eBay bars work just fine. Thats all they are good for, working "just fine" or "good enough". If its not worth doing right, its not worth doing at all... IMO...
Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 PM

i have an Otto FSTB i bought from eBay years ago and it clear my 00VI as well. I sanded mine down, painted it red and then clear coat...looks great in my engine bay and it does get the job done.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:40 PM

Ok, I know alot of people are ok with their eBay FSTB's... And some people are ok with the Stillen design and willing to pay their price. I am neither of those people, and so I reiterate my original statement. This thread is strictly for interest in getting Racingline to build us a quality FSTB (and/or possibly RSTB) which does not cost what a Stillen costs and looks better than the eBays... Yes, I understand that people are satisfied by the simple eBay bars, and some people probably bought the Stillen because it had their name on it... These bars are crap to me! I just want a list of the people who have interest in a quality, appealing, mid price range Racingline FSTB... Please don't make comments about your eBay bars, and that its overkill to have a different design. It's not all about cost, and its not all about brand name, but it has got alot to do with the looks...

Currently it looks as though there are atleast 4 people that would be willing to purchase such a bar... If you are truely interested, add ur name... If your not, dont bother! Oh yeah, and it looks like some people didnt take to heart the first post I guess...

If the eBay praising continues with no real critiques, i'd like mods to lock please... I'm not gonna fight for a list if nobody pays attention or reads. I'll make my own when I get home if I have to...

edit - *I mean no offense to anybody. I asked for only a list of people interested and no opinions. I don't mean to ignore, I just know the opinions are already out there... Not everybody shares the same though!*

Last edited by max_dreamer; 07-15-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 AM

I'm going to bump this thread again because I feel that these bars should really be made! Ive already talked to Redline Performance, and they said they'd be willing to design one for us! Only problem is they are in Vancouver, BC... Now I've been digging around in the Canada Regional section on here and i'm trying to find a nearby 4th gen that can spare the car for a couple days to get this ball rolling. For you guys that said you'd be interested in the rear if they made it, and you wanted it for $50... Well I can't say anything about the price but more than likely it'll be a bit higher than that but certainly not unreasonable like a Stillen product!

So, on that note, I'll keep researching and PM'ing the possible test subjects and put this out for anybody who happens to see it! If you live in that area and are willing to sacrifice your car for a couple days or however long they may ask, I'll be more then willing to sacrifice say... $50 for your time and effort... If you've got another car and your max is just sitting around, then you could earn $50 for nothing! And if your max already has a FSTB/RSTB, well i'm sure they aren't to hard to remove! So lets see what we can do!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:06 PM

I am interested but how long would something like this take? I hope it clears 00vis and 3.5 swaps as well.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Revo75
I am interested but how long would something like this take? I hope it clears 00vis and 3.5 swaps as well.
I think with them designing for us, if we just get a couple people to take some measurements we can be sure it will clear everything... or if we are smart about it and design it to be set back farther in the engine back that way it wont be that close to the TB and UIM...

It shouldnt take to long to get it designed but its up to them on mass production of filling the initial orders... As soon as ive got more info or a doner car ill post what i know!

Last edited by max_dreamer; 07-21-2010 at 06:43 PM.