4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

jim wolf ecu

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:13 PM

jim wolf ecu

i was woundering if jim wolf ecu is worth it and if any one has it how big of a difference is it thanx guys
Old 07-18-2010, 04:20 PM

What other mods have you got / are you planning? They will affect the worth of a new ECU.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:22 PM

i don't have any yet but i have some big plans intake on the way saving for cattman exhaust
Old 07-18-2010, 05:47 PM

The intake wont do anything for you but give a nice sound, so for right now, I'd leave that alone, if you're going for performance. If you just like the sound, then go for it. The JWT ecu is a great addition, but to take advantage of the changes it offers, you need more mods than what you have mentioned. A y-pipe would be a good start. I would hold off on the JWT for now. Look into an 00VI, y-pipe, maybe headers, then maybe consider the JWT. And if you want to get and take advantage of the extended rev limit, then you may want to think about upgrading the valve springs so you don't get valve float. Cams would make a great addition too, but not mandatory
Old 07-18-2010, 06:33 PM

I did a comparison at the track with and without the ecu a while back. My best without the ECU was a 15.4@88 and when I put the ecu in and ran again I ran 14.9@92. So yeah its worth it.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Donating i30 Owner

NO ITS NOT.

I see emanage ultimate units with the harnes selling for $300-$400. Why would you even waste money with Jim Wolf? Also his ECU seem to have trouble with a few of the boosted people. Their cars actually run better with bigger injectors etc. STOCK ecu. as opposed to jim wolfs upgraded injectors program
Old 07-18-2010, 09:37 PM

Homer makes a great point, BUT the JWT/TS ECU's are aimed at the plug n play users.. Where as the eManage is aimed at the tuner crowd.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Nismo
The intake wont do anything for you but give a nice sound, so for right now, I'd leave that alone, if you're going for performance. If you just like the sound, then go for it. The JWT ecu is a great addition, but to take advantage of the changes it offers, you need more mods than what you have mentioned. A y-pipe would be a good start. I would hold off on the JWT for now. Look into an 00VI, y-pipe, maybe headers, then maybe consider the JWT. And if you want to get and take advantage of the extended rev limit, then you may want to think about upgrading the valve springs so you don't get valve float. Cams would make a great addition too, but not mandatory
A true CAI does make a difference. A short ram does not. Mine provides much better gains in the lower rpms and upper. Not to mention it has improved my mpg.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by bkortee
A true CAI does make a difference. A short ram does not. Mine provides much better gains in the lower rpms and upper. Not to mention it has improved my mpg.
For our cars even true CAI dont do too much. I have a Place Racing CAI, and haven't noticed too much difference aside from the sound. Our stock intakes are quite efficient. On some cars CAI make a big difference, like LS series engines, but that is b/c their stock intakes are quite restrictive from the factory. This is not the case with our cars. With just that, or even that and a few bolt-ons, you won't get much in a 4th gen Maxima, and many have reported decreased throttle response. This is why alot of ppl reverted back to stock. And chances are what he is buying isn't a true CAI b/c I believe Place Racing and Bomz was the only true CAIs, unless you go custom, and the PR CAIs are discontinued, and the BOMZ look like short rams now.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...wrong-cai.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ai-intake.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...short-ram.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...am-intake.html

http://forums.maxima.org/6735760-post25.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...me-effort.html

Last edited by Shift_Nismo; 07-18-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 PM

For our cars even true CAI dont do too much. I have a Place Racing CAI, and haven't noticed too much difference aside from the sound. Our stock intakes are quite efficient. On some cars CAI make a big difference, like LS series engines, but that is b/c their stock intakes are quite restrictive from the factory. This is not the case with our cars. As you go up in HP, then it may be beneficial, but with just that, or even that and a few bolt-on, you will get 1-5hp at most in a 4th gen.

I wasnt talking about huge gains. But I def. have gained 5-7 hp from it. Grant it, my stock intake was pretty dirty as well as the tb. But I agree, the stock Max intakes are above average.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:13 PM

For our cars even true CAI dont do too much. I have a Place Racing CAI, and haven't noticed too much difference aside from the sound. Our stock intakes are quite efficient. On some cars CAI make a big difference, like LS series engines, but that is b/c their stock intakes are quite restrictive from the factory. This is not the case with our cars. As you go up in HP, then it may be beneficial, but with just that, or even that and a few bolt-on, you will get 1-5hp at most in a 4th gen.
Why are we talking about intakes in an ECU thread.

Just for the record there has never, ever been a TRUE CAI for our cars, you have to fab up your own and in the end it will end up looking like the stock setup if you know where the coldest air on the car is.

Back on topic, JWT ECU will serve you right after some bolt ons if you don't want to mess with EU.

Last edited by aackshun; 07-20-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 PM

i think it all depends on what mods you have planed for the future maybe you just want all motor or you want just a little more kick in the highway ...just think on what do you want in the future so you wont have to spend twice
Old 07-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Why are we talking about intakes in an ECU thread.

Just for the record no TRUE CAI is manufactured by anyone, you have to fab up your own.

Back on topic, JWT ECU will serve you right after some bolt ons if you don't want to mess with EU.
Thats why I said discontinued, but yes back in the day Place Racing did make a true CAI, and there are some still around, including mine.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:56 AM

Thanx a lot guys and no the intake I was going to get was not a cai so should I save and get the full cattman exhaust with the y pipe and all andi am new to the max thing but I messed with mazdas all my like so how hard is it to do that intake upgrade and ballpark how much dose it run thanx a lot guys this side kicks a**
Old 07-19-2010, 04:00 AM

I want my car to be fast but not no race car and the cai my friend isgreat at welding so we were talking about makin a cai he has a turboed honda and he did all his intercooler pipin and intake tube looks good to so
Old 07-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
NO ITS NOT.

I see emanage ultimate units with the harnes selling for $300-$400. Why would you even waste money with Jim Wolf? Also his ECU seem to have trouble with a few of the boosted people. Their cars actually run better with bigger injectors etc. STOCK ecu. as opposed to jim wolfs upgraded injectors program
True, but with an emanage you have to know an understand how to properly tune it which will require a Wide Band to be purchased on top of the Emange Ultimate and harness.
I ran with a JWT ECU on my SCed setup and it did ok. Granted you are correct, the JWT FI tunes are really conservative and dont make the most power. They are however safe and realiable.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 AM

Honestly i dont think u need to upgrade or mod ECU, unless u doin some REAL modification and pushin over 20HP extra. If all u gonna do is exhaust and a CAI, dont waste money on ECU.

Our ECU are already self-adjusting and will give u best MPG/power as long as u reset it. thats what they there for

If u gonna do MEVI or 00vi then yea, either tune or ECU upgrade def
Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Honestly i dont think u need to upgrade or mod ECU, unless u doin some REAL modification and pushin over 20HP extra. If all u gonna do is exhaust and a CAI, dont waste money on ECU.

Our ECU are already self-adjusting and will give u best MPG/power as long as u reset it. thats what they there for

If u gonna do MEVI or 00vi then yea, either tune or ECU upgrade def
I agree, I think you should do some research first, before deciding anything.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:08 PM

thanx how do u reset your ecu
Old 07-19-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by onebadmax666
thanx how do u reset your ecu
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html see bottom of the page, or get a scanner that can clear codes.

Last edited by Shift_Nismo; 07-19-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 AM

For EXAMPLE:

I have:
I/Y/E
Grounding Kit

MEVI + Intake Spacers on order.

Next mod when Im done,
ECU Swap.
(when I have more money of course)
Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Boosted Panda

IDK, I loved having a modded ECU. I had the G Force ECU and then went to a JWT ecu and although the are $$ it was a great mod.
Funny how the ones stating they arent worth it havent experienced one.
Even if you dont have a VI, they do help the low end by altering the timing and AFRs, with a VI the extended rev limiter is awesome and the ability to make power all the way to it is great.
To me, exhaust and a CAI are a perfect base for a modded ECU.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 AM

I have a Technosquare ECU for sale in 4th gen ads...
Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
IDK, I loved having a modded ECU. I had the G Force ECU and then went to a JWT ecu and although the are $$ it was a great mod.
Even if you dont have a VI, they do help the low end by altering the timing and AFRs, with a VI the extended rev limiter is awesome and the ability to make power all the way to it is great.
Yup. I may do a comparison with and without the ecu in my girls 3.5 max to see how much it is helping her car at the track.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 AM

Im not sayin its a bad mod. And yea i dont have any experience except from what i read. But for the cost of a JWT ECU man....they are not cheap. However, if u got the cash, the removed rev limiter would be quite dope.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:37 AM

Thats why I said discontinued, but yes back in the day Place Racing did make a true CAI, and there are some still around, including mine.
Ah yes, 3ft of tubing just to suck up the air off of the road... which is being baked by the sun, better than stock setup for sure.

I will re-edit my statement, There has never been a true CAI made for our cars, unless you're referring to the stock air setup, it gets the most and the coldest air to our VQs.

PS. the only reason why I have a SRI are very simple reasons..... Awesome sound and ease of maintenance.

/Intake discussion or at least my participation in it.

Last edited by aackshun; 07-20-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

I miss my JWT ECU. One of the, if not THE best mod at the time of my modding.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:37 PM

thanx alot guy i got the intake on orderin the cattman this wek and i think i am going to order the ecu sorry guys that don't like it but it sound good to me
Old 07-20-2010, 12:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

You wont regret it.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
You wont regret it.
+1
Old 07-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Boosted Panda

Im not sayin its a bad mod. And yea i dont have any experience except from what i read. But for the cost of a JWT ECU man....they are not cheap. However, if u got the cash, the removed rev limiter would be quite dope.
Worth while mods never really are.
Ever hear the saying gotta pay to play?
Thats the problem now days on the org, everyone wants something for next to nothing.
The removed rev limiter would really only benifit those with a VI, but the modded ecu gives gains all around making it worth while.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 07-20-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by aackshun
Ah yes, 3ft of tubing just to suck up the air off of the road... which is being baked by the sun, better than stock setup for sure.

I will re-edit my statement, There has never been a true CAI made for our cars, unless you're referring to the stock air setup, it gets the most and the coldest air to our VQs.

PS. the only reason why I have a SRI are very simple reasons..... Awesome sound and ease of maintenance.

/Intake discussion or at least my participation in it.
Im curious why you state that a stock intake setup is a true CAI and a PR CAI is not?
I also personally dont agree about a CAI not giving some gains. A true CAI will pull in cooler, denser air while rolling thats for sure. Even at a sitting, the air its drawing in is still cooler then that of under the hood. With a round cone type filter, its able to draw in more air due to the increased amount of surface area vs the little induction opening of the stock air box. This has always been a debate and many have offered their opinions.
I also dont see why your refering to it as only sucking up hot sun baked air off the road. Its not like its acting like a vacum cleaner sitting directly above the grounds surface sucking in air.
Ive always ran a CAI, cant say I felt any true gains except with the SCer. However I dont really felt it hurt my performance either.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 07-20-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

Im curious why you state that a stock intake setup is a true CAI and a PR CAI is not?
I also personally dont agree about a CAI not giving some gains. A true CAI will pull in cooler, denser air while rolling thats for sure. Even at a sitting, the air its drawing in is still cooler then that of under the hood. With a round cone type filter, its able to draw in more air due to the increased amount of surface area vs the little induction opening of the stock air box. This has always been a debate and many have offered their opinions.
I also dont see why your refering to it as only sucking up hot sun baked air off the road. Its not like its acting like a vacum cleaner sitting directly above the grounds surface sucking in air.
Ive always ran a CAI, cant say I felt any true gains except with the SCer. However I dont really felt it hurt my performance either.

A quantitative experiment was done on a 5th gen. IAT's taken with both set-ups. You may have seen it.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ai-vs-sri.html

Originally Posted by [QUOTE=Flava_24/7
]Worth while mods never really are.
Ever hear the saying gotta pay to play?
Thats the problem now days on the org, everyone wants something for next to nothing.
The removed rev limiter would really only benifit those with a VI, but the modded ecu gives gains all around making it worth while.
That's my # 1 saying on here, gotta pay to play.

Just reinforcing both posts, that's all.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:05 PM

well all i know about intake and stuff is u want the fastest and smoothest way to your intake maifold for one a stop intake on most cars are that ruber that is all bumpy so i know that messes with the flow of air the owner of skunk2 told me that so i dunno i know whe i had my mazdaspeed3 i but a intake on that and i felt it big time
Old 07-20-2010, 08:41 PM
SLOW

JWT ECU is definitely a noticeable mod on an NA car, especially one with a VI where the extended rev limiter gives even further gains. In terms of gains the only bigger gains to be had are 00vi and Ypipe/headers.

The only problems with JWT ECUs have been with some of their forced induction tunes which are pretty sketchy, their NA ECUs are great.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 AM

pay to play. yea yea i kno i kno lol.

On topic question....

I was on the Jim Wolf website. DO u have to buy an ECU that specific matches the car? For instance, I wd have to buy a ECU for 97 MT.

And is it jus plug in play, meaning i remove/unplug old ECU and jus plug in/install the new one?

Last question, do i need to tune after installin new ECU?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:28 AM

A quick call to Jim Wolf industries answered all my questions

pay to play. yea yea i kno i kno lol.

On topic question....

I was on the Jim Wolf website. DO u have to buy an ECU that specific matches the car? For instance, I wd have to buy a ECU for 97 MT. nope. have to buy a used 96 ECU and they will tune it for $595.

And is it jus plug in play, meaning i remove/unplug old ECU and jus plug in/install the new one? Yup.

Last question, do i need to tune after installin new ECU? No tune necessary after install. Jus need to specify all mods over the phone when buying.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:38 AM

Big bucks for small gains, just don't expect anything over +20HP for your $600
Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

Who cares about peak #'s though. They're good for measuring one's manhood, but area under the curve is better.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Who cares about peak #'s though. They're good for measuring one's manhood, but area under the curve is better.
Yup.

Quick Reply: jim wolf ecu