4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Evap Fumes in Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Evap Fumes in Cabin

So here's the problem, I've been smelling some fumes while driving but not when I stop and poke around the engine bay. They kinda smell like sweet gasoline. Now I've done some research on this topic and here's what I have:

No CEL but ghost Codes thrown:
P0505- IACV
P0325- Knock Sensor

I've already cleaned the EGR valve and replaced the Evap Canister. Smell seemed to disappear but it came back after 300 miles or so. Checked the lines and nothing seems to be leaking. The only other thing I think it could be is the Purge Valve but that's kind of expensive. Any inputs on what else to check is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:18 PM

So no suggestions?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:43 AM

The filler neck on my car was rusted and it would cause the car to smell like gas. Initially, I wasn't seeing any EVAP codes but once the hole opened up, I did get a code. I seems like the size of a hole that is required for enough gas fumes to seep out to the point of being detectable by smell is very small. Much smaller that the diameter of a hole required to trip an EVAP code.

Because you are smelling gas in the cabin, I would take a look under your rear seats, and in the trunk. Some cars have an access for the fuel pump under the rear seat, I'm not sure if the maxima is like this.

I know another member had a problem with Best Buy in that they pierced his gas tank while installing some car audio equipment. This means that the tank is very close to the metal that makes up the rear seat area and the trunk floor.

I'm just brainstorming, sorry I don't have any concrete solutions for you.

Do you smell gas in the cabin with the windows up or down?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ajm8127
The filler neck on my car was rusted and it would cause the car to smell like gas. Initially, I wasn't seeing any EVAP codes but once the hole opened up, I did get a code. I seems like the size of a hole that is required for enough gas fumes to seep out to the point of being detectable by smell is very small. Much smaller that the diameter of a hole required to trip an EVAP code.

Because you are smelling gas in the cabin, I would take a look under your rear seats, and in the trunk. Some cars have an access for the fuel pump under the rear seat, I'm not sure if the maxima is like this.

I know another member had a problem with Best Buy in that they pierced his gas tank while installing some car audio equipment. This means that the tank is very close to the metal that makes up the rear seat area and the trunk floor.

I'm just brainstorming, sorry I don't have any concrete solutions for you.

Do you smell gas in the cabin with the windows up or down?
Windows up and down.
Now I did some spelunking and found what smell it was. It's the purge valve hole on the evap canister. This hole is connected to a hose that leads to a filter thing then a shorter hose and then just ends. If this is how its supposed to be, how come I haven't ever smelt this before?
Old 07-22-2010, 05:09 PM

did u over fill ur tank when u filled up?? i had the same issue when i over filled my gas tank
Old 07-23-2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by MoMurderah
Now I did some spelunking and found what smell it was. It's the purge valve hole on the evap canister. This hole is connected to a hose that leads to a filter thing then a shorter hose and then just ends. If this is how its supposed to be, how come I haven't ever smelt this before?
The purge control valve is a disc shaped plastic piece on top of the engine. The purge control volume valve is a metal part on top of the IM. The vent control valve is connected to the EVAP and leads to a device meant to keep debris out and then to an open tube. The EVAP system can be fairly confusing, so using the correct names for the parts of the system is a necessity. Looking in the EC section of the FSM helps.

I am confused as to what you mean when you say there is a hole in your canister. There should not be any holes. This is a closed system that has to hold pressure to pass a diagnostic check. Could you take a picture of this?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:42 AM

Ajm is right. The entire EGR system should be closed system. If there are any leaks or disconnected hoses, the CEL will come on.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:52 PM

have yo bothered to check the physical lines under the vehicle and the engine bay?

Yesterday i somehow managed to lose over half a tank of gas in under 30 miles. WTF?

I looked under the car as i arrived at a friends house.

A Chewed on Fuel Line. Yes Chewed On by a F***ing Squirrel. I Cant Make This **** Up!

So, Vise Gripped the already Siphoned Line which made it constantly leak, even when off; cut the line and put it back on the Plastic/Brass Line.