4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ghetto security

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:48 PM

the guy i bought my max from had installed a kill switch, he never told me about it i found it one day while sitting in drive-thru in my glove compartment it was taped together like he wasnt using it anymore it was really hot so i unwrapped the tape and unplugged it (great idea huh?) car stalled! so i put it back together went home traced it all the way back to ignition switch. i moved it to anyother spot now. but i tried to use it and it had melted the cheap radioshack switch i used! i dunno what im gonna do but i dont want to leave it like this!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:04 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by K-Ryder
if only we had this in our cars..
Haha, that step over was so smooth.. A Magnavolt would be nice!! As far as that switch melting you need to find a switch that can handle high amperage if that one is melting, or change the switch to a lower load wire that is still vital. BTW take a look at your car key, if it looks like a butter knife or anyway worn down to where you can't see distinct notches, thieves can use certain keys to get in your car.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:02 PM

What if you hooked up a kill switch to the ecu somehow? I was thinking about that but idk if it would work.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:07 PM

haha that is creative
Old 07-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Celired
What if you hooked up a kill switch to the ecu somehow? I was thinking about that but idk if it would work.
Too complicated; no fuel = no start. They thief gets frustrated at the car turning and turning and he leaves.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by Celired
That would work. Ecu power wire is fairly easy to access on the harness.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:27 AM

thats a good idea lol
Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 AM

Update: I have successfully on three occasions scratched my head whilst wondering why my car would not start and become very frustrated.

I call this a success. If a retarded vehicle owner can forget he has a fuel pump cutoff and panic thinking his car is dead, this will definitely deter most thieves.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:56 PM

Added a neat new feature.

Bought a relay and a dc driven electronic tone creator for a few bucks from http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/ and added them to the system.

The relay closes when it is powered. Buzzer gets power from before the fuel pump on/off switch. Placed the buzzer power supply on the open/close circuit of the relay and spliced power from after the on/off switch for the fuel pump so that the circuit closes when the fuel pump is on and stays open if it's off.

Now when you turn the key without activating your fuel pump switch a very loud and very annoying electronic tone sound emanates from under the back seat or wherever you choose to place it.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:37 AM

I just unplug my megasquirt computer and take it with me. Impossible to steal unless they rip it onto a flatbed. And that will for sure wake me up and someone's getting shot.

I did think about wiring a system to the doorhandles that would give an electric shock if someone tried to use the handles, but apparently it's illegal to do that mod here. lol

M.

Last edited by MaXPoWA; 09-18-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MaXPoWA
I just unplug my megasquirt computer and take it with me. Impossible to steal unless they rip it onto a flatbed. And that will for sure wake me up and someone's getting shot.

I did think about wiring a system to the doorhandles that would give an electric shock if someone tried to use the handles, but apparently it's illegal to do that mod here. lol

M.

Aww, that should never be illegal!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by jasonaaronfox
Aww, that should never be illegal!

Old 09-19-2010, 02:50 PM

Cheaper and more efficient dont you think..
Old 09-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Donating i30 Owner

Over the years I've been a member here and nyc sub forums etc. I've seen some really well modded cars (not the typical rims/drop) were talking boost, and heavy motor work etc. of many diff. makes stolen with the best security systems. You know how...? its called a tow truck. A serious shop in NYC got hit up and they took 4 or 5 HEAVILY modded track cars in like 30mins... flat bed/tow trucks.

There WAS an org. member, his car was in a college parking lot at like 4-5 pm.... on a sunny bright day.. parked by the security office of the campus.... All with viper alarms etc.

Tow trucks / flat bed+ those jack things with the wheels under it that lift the car by the tire OWN any security system. EXCEPT GPS tracking (with alternate hidden power source)

I do commend your creativity and this will keep some douche bag joy rider from taking your car. Im sure there are A LOT of people who have done this
already but didnt post about it....

Attaching an airhorn idea is great one. also a good set of airhorns will get the job done.

Last edited by HomerMAC; 09-19-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:56 PM

I heartily agree. This is entirely for the purpose of stopping a casual crime if I forget to lock my doors. If I ever finish getting the parts together to use that turbo I have laying around I'm going to insure the car with one of the companies that specializes in custom vehicles. Until then, don't have enough in the car to worry all too much. There really is no way to stop someone from just jacking the car up and driving away. On the other-hand, weird side-note, do you think a car with hydraulic suspension and a body kit designed to set all the way on the ground when not in use would prevent such towing fiasco's?