4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CEL: Rear O2, Camshaft, Multiple misfires. Bad idling on startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:03 PM

CEL: Rear O2, Camshaft, Multiple misfires. Bad idling on startup

Alright, I've had problems with my idle speed for a while when the engine is cold. 245k on the car. When I first start up, my car will sputter and stall several times before I'm able to get off. Once I accelerate though, this problem goes away.

I've been having trouble passing emissions. I had codes for both of the front O2 sensors. I cleaned them, reset, drove, and had it tested. The light came back on as she was testing it -.-, failed for all 3 O2 sensors. I changed both of the front O2 sensors, reset, and the light comes back on the 2nd start, gives code for the rear O2 sensor. I take the car to the shop the other day, they read the codes, reset, and tell me that my ECU is probably bad, because they got more codes than just O2 sensors now. I come home, do a reset myself last night. I start up this morning, CE lights off, everything's fine. I get about 6 starts, still having the startup idle/stalling problems, and the 7th when I put the car in reverse the CEL comes back on. I drive home, read the codes and I have 0101- Camshaft position sensor, 0701 - multiple cylinder misfire (i'm guessing from the stalling), and 0707 for the rear sensor. I personally think my ECU is fine. I've cleaned my TB, EGR tubes, IACV, and MAF recently, and changed my fuel filter to fix a stalling problem I was having.

Do you think my ECU is actually bad, or do you think replacing the rear O2 sensor and Cam position sensor will fix the codes and allow me to pass emissions?

Also, could this possibly fix the problems I'm having with stalling on startup?

P.S. Any advice on the prodecures to change the Camshaft Position Sensor and Rear O2 Sensor would be great too. Could anyone tell me where to find each, how difficult they are to change, ect?

Last edited by Pint07; 08-11-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:14 PM

test the sensor first to see if it's getting correct voltage. you can search for a manual on here.
as for the rear o2: use wd-40 or pb blaster on it before you try to take it out. just changed one on our car about two weeks ago. don't be freaked out by the wiring harness going into the car's body just take that rubber thing off and gently pull on the harness until you see the connector come out.
however, you've said that the ecu threw the code for the front sensors. have you replaced those at all? be prepared for a possibility of them coming back after you change the rear one.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 99zx2
test the sensor first to see if it's getting correct voltage. you can search for a manual on here.
as for the rear o2: use wd-40 or pb blaster on it before you try to take it out. just changed one on our car about two weeks ago. don't be freaked out by the wiring harness going into the car's body just take that rubber thing off and gently pull on the harness until you see the connector come out.
however, you've said that the ecu threw the code for the front sensors. have you replaced those at all? be prepared for a possibility of them coming back after you change the rear one.
Yeah, I've changed both of the front sensors already. I'm not sure where the rear sensor is exactly though.

I don't have any way of testing the voltage :\
Old 08-11-2010, 12:17 PM

ECU dont sound bad to me man. Sounds like u have a bad rear o2 sensor and need to test Camshaft position sensor (CPS) per FSM. A bad CPS will def cause misfires and all type of issues.

rear o2 sensor u gonna hafta lift the car. Its downstream of the cat.

THe CPS is a sensor on the engine across from the PS reservoir. Its the only sensor there inserted into the engine. Check sensor for fouling and check harness for damage.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:28 PM

i didn't lift the car when i did ours lol
it's on the driver's side right after the cat (think driver's door area).

p.s. this guy is selling a cps for $15 shipped. http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-trim-etc.html

Last edited by 99zx2; 08-11-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM

Ooh nice, thanks a ton. That'd be great. How difficult is it to change out the CPS? Tools needed? Any write ups on here?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 PM

your mileage is a testiment to how well these cars are built as for your problems ive had them all and more and in ny we have high emission standards you should just replace your 02 sensors and your cam position sensor with sensors you are 100 percent sure are good but you should clean the idle air contol or for those of us who have a thesaurus iacv its the part by the throttle body that allows a predispositioned amount of air from one side of the throttle body to the other to keep the car running when cold or you come to a stop
Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 99zx2
i didn't lift the car when i did ours lol
it's on the driver's side right after the cat (think driver's door area).

p.s. this guy is selling a cps for $15 shipped. http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-trim-etc.html
Thats a tight fit man lol

Originally Posted by Pint07
Ooh nice, thanks a ton. That'd be great. How difficult is it to change out the CPS? Tools needed? Any write ups on here?
U might need a screwdriver or a wrench, thats about it. Its literally one bolt on the front of the engine near the front valve cover .
Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your ECU is fine.
Never go back to the shop that told you the ECU might be bad just because there was more then just your o2 code.

The CPS (cam position) is what times fuel delivery. Fix that first, clear the error codes and see what comes back. That in itself, may solve some of your issues.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:37 PM

in total agreeance any shop that says your ecu is bad is just hunting for money ive seen shops say anything to get money one guy tried to tell a girl i know she needed a timing belt on her 4th gen and i said to the guy that might be kind of hard he said he does lots of them and i said hard because there isnt one and he got real nervous
Old 08-11-2010, 02:16 PM

Alright, I've had problems with my idle speed for a while when the engine is cold. 245k on the car. When I first start up, my car will sputter and stall several times before I'm able to get off. Once I accelerate though, this problem goes away.

I've been having trouble passing emissions. I had codes for both of the front O2 sensors. I cleaned them, reset, drove, and had it tested. The light came back on as she was testing it -.-, failed for all 3 O2 sensors. I changed both of the front O2 sensors, reset, and the light comes back on the 2nd start, gives code for the rear O2 sensor. I take the car to the shop the other day, they read the codes, reset, and tell me that my ECU is probably bad, because they got more codes than just O2 sensors now. I come home, do a reset myself last night. I start up this morning, CE lights off, everything's fine. I get about 6 starts, still having the startup idle/stalling problems, and the 7th when I put the car in reverse the CEL comes back on. I drive home, read the codes and I have 0101- Camshaft position sensor, 0701 - multiple cylinder misfire (i'm guessing from the stalling), and 0707 for the rear sensor. I personally think my ECU is fine. I've cleaned my TB, EGR tubes, IACV, and MAF recently, and changed my fuel filter to fix a stalling problem I was having.

Do you think my ECU is actually bad, or do you think replacing the rear O2 sensor and Cam position sensor will fix the codes and allow me to pass emissions?

Also, could this possibly fix the problems I'm having with stalling on startup?

P.S. Any advice on the prodecures to change the Camshaft Position Sensor and Rear O2 Sensor would be great too. Could anyone tell me where to find each, how difficult they are to change, ect?
Hard start sounds like a bad ECT to me.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Go to the dealership if CPS is defective and get a 10mm wrench and ew and change it yourself. This does not need a write up as it is self explanatory. Some may say don't go to the dealership for the sensor but imporrtant ones like these, I rather spend the money and be satisfied I got something of high quality.

Last edited by Trini Boom; 08-18-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:55 PM

Update: Okay, today I changed the CPS. Cleared codes, drove it a bit. Then I start my car back up later and the CEL comes back on. The rear O2 sensor code is gone, and I'm getting codes for the front 2, that I just changed. This is pissing me off. I'm so confused right now.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:50 PM

Update: Okay, today I changed the CPS. Cleared codes, drove it a bit. Then I start my car back up later and the CEL comes back on. The rear O2 sensor code is gone, and I'm getting codes for the front 2, that I just changed. This is pissing me off. I'm so confused right now.
I would just like to say.... before buying new o2 sensors, check the o2 sensor fuses located in the in cabin fuse box on the drivers side. this maybe one if the reason why you're having problems. I just read from another post that we do have this fuse.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by najee1062
I would just like to say.... before buying new o2 sensors, check the o2 sensor fuses located in the in cabin fuse box on the drivers side. this maybe one if the reason why you're having problems. I just read from another post that we do have this fuse.
Wow. I feel dumb. I checked and there wasn't even a fuse in the O2 sensor spot. I put one in there, cleared the codes, drove around the block, restarted my car, and the light stayed off.

Thank you. So much.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Wow. I feel dumb. I checked and there wasn't even a fuse in the O2 sensor spot. I put one in there, cleared the codes, drove around the block, restarted my car, and the light stayed off.

Thank you. So much.
Glad to have help... and you're not dumb at all, the mechanic is the one dumb. The org rocks

Last edited by najee1062; 08-18-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by najee1062
Glad to have help... and you're not dumb at all, the mechanic is the one dumb. The org rocks
Well thanks a ton! Passed emissions today. Thank god all that's over.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

So... is the CEL still off or did it come back? Congrats on passing emissions, I agree dont go back to that shop!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
So... is the CEL still off or did it come back? Congrats on passing emissions, I agree dont go back to that shop!
The light is still off. I'm still having the stalling problems on start up, but I can deal with that. I'm guessing that's a fuel pressure regulator problem or something like that.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

aawesome