4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Press gas car dies turn air on and off tach bounces violently

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:41 PM

Press gas car dies turn air on and off tach bounces violently

I just had to laugh at this. I don't know Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is wrong with my car but I'd appreciate any advice. I tried searching but found nothing I hadn't tried yet.

I cleaned MAF, no dice, disconnected the MAF, no dice
I removed, cleaned, disassembled and reassembled the IACV, no dice
I checked the air intake for obstruction, nothing.
I checked the throttle body to see if it was working, nothing wrong.

Before the car would idle a little high and occasionally just drop dead for no apparent reason. Now it idles beautifully, but dies the second you try to give it gas. I am stumped. Had the car checked for vacuum leaks and there were none. Checked grounds, checked everything. No codes being thrown.\

Just got it back from the shop after having the TPS checked and the idle reset. Everything checks out, car runs fine, but the car dies when you give it gas and the tach bounces back and forth nearly uncontrollably when you turn the air on and off quickly.

What the hell is wrong??? Could the IACV sensors be bad?? I don't have an ohm meter to check them with at this moment.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 PM

try replacing MAF?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by kymera_gr7
try replacing MAF?
If it was just the maf it would at least be able to rev to 2.5-3k when I disconnected it.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:15 PM

Wonder if your fuel pressure regulator is working right.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:19 PM

I was wondering that myself. The only thing that has me thinking the IACV is because the plunger seems to be primarily stuck in the out positions. Doesn't seem like it's working correctly to where it would allow air to bypass. Going to take it apart again and give it one last ditch effort before I replace it.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Well the IACV has to be open or you couldn't idle. With the IACV out of its housing, does the pintle pop out when you turn the key to ON, and then retract when you turn it to OFF?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ATTappman
Well the IACV has to be open or you couldn't idle. With the IACV out of its housing, does the pintle pop out when you turn the key to ON, and then retract when you turn it to OFF?
I will definitelly have to check that tommorrow.

Strangely if I push the gas slowly and steadily I can get the pedal down further with no problems and the car will rev to the max it can do with the maf unplugged(which I am pretty sure is fried at it's hearty age of 15 years.) It's only when I push the pedal down suddenly that the car dies. If I let off the pedal it will cough a bit and recover if I didn't push it too hard.

odd, very odd.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:31 PM

I would check your Fuel Pump first to see if its functioning...
Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Well if the MAF sensor is bad the PCM doesn't know how long to open the injectors, because it doesn't know how much air is coming in. When you press the pedal slowly enough, it must be able to use the TPS and/or the MAP sensor to estimate the air flow.

If the car starts and idles well without touching the gas pedal, it's not your IACV. If it will rev up to 2500 rpm by slowly pressing the accelerator with the MAF sensor unplugged, and run there indefinitely, it's not a fuel pressure problem. Replace the MAF sensor, like the initial responder suggested.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by ATTappman
Well if the MAF sensor is bad the PCM doesn't know how long to open the injectors, because it doesn't know how much air is coming in. When you press the pedal slowly enough, it must be able to use the TPS and/or the MAP sensor to estimate the air flow.

If the car starts and idles well without touching the gas pedal, it's not your IACV. If it will rev up to 2500 rpm by slowly pressing the accelerator with the MAF sensor unplugged, and run there indefinitely, it's not a fuel pressure problem. Replace the MAF sensor, like the initial responder suggested.
You guys rock; I will do that asap. I would have been stuck high and dry so many times were it not for this forum.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:31 AM

Does it rev okay with the MAF disconnected? Like if you quickly floor it with the MAF disconnected is it stable? Because if its the same thing with the MAF disconnected it seems like something else to me.

Like maybe a clogged fuel filter not letting enough gas in when you quickly step on the gas. I think you should do a little more experimenting before buying a MAF because those things aren't cheap trust me. And when I had that stalling problem a while ago when I disconnected the MAF everything was stable, I could rev and idle just fine. It just wouldn't drive. But with the MAF connected it wouldn't even idle for more than 10 minutes without dieing.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 AM

Alright, disassembled my MAF and cleaned all the corrosion off the circuit board. Re-soldered the main connector and put it back together. Presto, MAF works again. It's warm outside right now so I can't do a cold air test until tonight but so far it's a screaming machine again! Thanks all!