4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-Pipe *panic*

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 11:03 AM

Y-Pipe *panic*

all my friends are telling me that i ain't gonna pass the emmision and imma get fined and blah balh balh balh blah!#%!%!@%!@%
and i heard from org people that if you warm your car up, i'll pass
what do you EXACTLY mean warm your car up?
Old 12-15-2001, 11:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Y pipe eliminates the pre-cats in the OEM y-pipe for your car. The purpose of the pre-cats is too clean your emissions while the engine is cold, because the regular cat does not operate efficiently when cold. At operating temperature, the regular cat converter can do its job properly. So, when you go for inspection, drive real hard and fast when getting there

DW
Old 12-15-2001, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The Y pipe eliminates the pre-cats in the OEM y-pipe for your car. The purpose of the pre-cats is too clean your emissions while the engine is cold, because the regular cat does not operate efficiently when cold. At operating temperature, the regular cat converter can do its job properly. So, when you go for inspection, drive real hard and fast when getting there

DW
What if I have to wait?
Old 12-15-2001, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Sexima

What if I have to wait?
Bring a friend and have him sit in the car with it turned on while you wait? I've never had to do that personally but I'd imagine that'd work.
Old 12-15-2001, 11:20 AM

Leave your engine on with the A/C I guess I have a Y-pipe, too. I'm about to take a NYS emissions test. I have no worries about passing. I've seen them run the test before. They never test when the car's cold. The testing can take 45 minutes to and hour and a half, and the car will get quite warm going thru the process. Don't worry. You'll be OK.

DW
Old 12-15-2001, 11:23 AM

ok
thanks
Old 12-15-2001, 12:47 PM

I just had your problem. Smog it in the summer, as I just failed because it was damn cold the week I brought my car in, even though I had just gotten off the freeway and the cats should've been red hot. However, having to wait around for 5 minutes (even with the car idling) it was cold enough where the main cat cooled off enough where the car had excessive emissions.

When I did the smog check, the guy couldn't really figure out why the car passed with flying colors at 2500rpm, but at idle, the HC readings would go up and up and up. Since it failed, he set up the test as a 'pre-warm', where he keeps the car at 2500rpm IIRC for 3.5 minutes. This heats the cats up, then he does the emissions test. It passed fine when he pre-heated the cat (I think that's an option on the terminal that does the smog check, preheat).

-V
Old 12-15-2001, 02:58 PM

1 of the leading repeated questions....

...lets make a list....nevermind no one will fricken look at it anyway.

F emmisions move to florida.
Old 12-15-2001, 03:03 PM

Re: 1 of the leading repeated questions....

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
Old 12-15-2001, 03:12 PM

Re: 1 of the leading repeated questions....

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
AHAHA RIIIIIIIGHT!!!!
Old 12-15-2001, 04:37 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

I would say your biggest concern is if they perform a visual inspection to see if any emmissions control device has been defeated or removed... In some places removal of a factory e/c device is a mandatory fail. In others it's the vehicle's actual emissions performance alone that is tested.

If the job ws done professionally enough and the tester isn't very thorough he may not even notice - does the install look like 'factory', or is it held in place with U-clamps?

Either way - good luck!
Old 12-15-2001, 05:12 PM

BEEN TESTED.......!!

I have asked and tried to look for the answer to this question for a long time, and I finally broke down and just bought one (Cattman), and said if I don't pass, then **** it and I will just bite the bullet and take it out for the test and replace the old one... well, I went to emissions early, and I had it tested just to see, cause I was anxious. Well, I had to go through a little ordeal since my car wasn't even old enough to get emissions, etc.. but the guy finally did it for me, since it was less than a year when I would have to get it done. ANYWAY...here were my results: when I was revving the engine at 2200 rpm's, I passed just fine, low emissions like it should be. BUT, for the second part of the test, when you just let your car idle, I passed, but with less than stellar results- he said that part of my emissions was pretty high, passable, but high- in his opinion, when I asked him, he said that when the results are that high, if I were to go in on another day, I could very easily not pass, that when it's that close, it's just too variable to know whether or not I'd pass...so now I don't know next time when I have to go whether or not I will actually pass, even though I did before.
Old 12-15-2001, 05:47 PM
Honda Convert!

Hey just get and air and fuel controler and lean the car out when you go to get tested that way less emmisions,trust me i did it and it works plus with that when your running top end you can play with the fuel to air ratio giving more ponies at higher rpm's = faster. wahoooooo...........

Bruce Rice
Papasmurf

chessieone@yahoo.com
Old 12-15-2001, 08:59 PM

I got an answer ..

Originally posted by Scruit
I would say your biggest concern is if they perform a visual inspection to see if any emmissions control device has been defeated or removed... In some places removal of a factory e/c device is a mandatory fail. In others it's the vehicle's actual emissions performance alone that is tested.

If the job ws done professionally enough and the tester isn't very thorough he may not even notice - does the install look like 'factory', or is it held in place with U-clamps?

Either way - good luck!
If your car is lowered, thay cant fit their nosey heads under there to check. So drop away. Ground effects make it impossible for them to catch you visually.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:18 PM

if the car has to wait in line like mine did..its gonna cool off and you might fail like I did..what I did was the second attempt to pass was to let the car idle for the 30 min I had to wait to keep it from cooling off. I passed the second time and he did look under the car but he just checked if I had a main cat but didnt notice the ypipe.
Old 12-15-2001, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
if the car has to wait in line like mine did..its gonna cool off and you might fail like I did..what I did was the second attempt to pass was to let the car idle for the 30 min I had to wait to keep it from cooling off. I passed the second time and he did look under the car but he just checked if I had a main cat but didnt notice the ypipe.
Old 12-16-2001, 08:19 AM

so I should rev the f*** outta my sexima and then go to emmisions?
ic...
Guys.. help me on the other forum... "Y-pipe Problems"
ahhhh I feel like my sexima is going to die soon...
Old 12-16-2001, 08:27 AM

The Y-pipe removes the 2 factory precats. If your cali spec, the Y-pipe only removes 1 of the 2 precats. Precats are only there for startup. Warm your car up and drive around for about 10-15 mins and bring it in. You might always want to get that "pass emissions" additive for a local auto store.
Old 12-16-2001, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Synki
The Y-pipe removes the 2 factory precats. If your cali spec, the Y-pipe only removes 1 of the 2 precats. Precats are only there for startup. Warm your car up and drive around for about 10-15 mins and bring it in. You might always want to get that "pass emissions" additive for a local auto store.
I only got One piece of it...
and I got the Federal one...
I thought mine was Federal??
Old 12-16-2001, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Sexima

I only got One piece of it...
and I got the Federal one...
I thought mine was Federal??

The FED spec Y-pipe removes the 2 precats.

The Cali spec Y-pipe only removes the 1 of teh 2 precats (the rear precat).
Old 12-16-2001, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by Synki

The FED spec Y-pipe removes the 2 precats.

The Cali spec Y-pipe only removes the 1 of teh 2 precats (the rear precat).
uh oh... I removed 1 of them and I have Federal one..
and it fit too...
Is there a problem? I thought I had a FED one...