4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car starts then stalls immediately, FPR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 PM

Car starts then stalls immediately, FPR?

What are your thoughts on this problem? The car has done this for approximately two months. I don't do a lot of driving lately, so it hasn't been a large issue for me but I want to fix it before I go back to college.

The problem: Car cranks and starts but stalls immediately while hovering around 700-900rpms. Revving the car to approx. 1000-1500rpms for a couple seconds upon startup cures the problem and the car runs and idles perfectly. I have no trouble codes at all.

Things that I've checked/changed for routine maintenance:

-All grounds inspected
-All Major sensors checked (TPS, IACV, etc)
-Throttle and IACV thoroughly cleaned
-Changed fuel filter
-Changed PCV valve
-Changed Spark Plugs to O.E. NGK
-Coil packs checked and working
-Battery checked (Optima Red)
-Replaced starter/solenoid, brand new and checked all connections

I think that is all the maintenance I have done in the last couple months. I believe it may be the FPR, but I am not completely sure. This thread seems to indicate the FPR:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...regulator.html

Post #5 shows the same problem that I am having. Opinions please? I am not completely opposed to trying the FPR since it is relatively cheap and easy to swap out but I wanted some other opinions first. Appreciate your responses
Old 09-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

If you checked everything else you say you checked then it all seems to point at the FPR. What you can do is disconnect the small vac hose on it and see if fuel leaks out of it. HOWEVER, I'd say wait for someone else to approve of what I just said because I'm not 100% sure thats the exact way to test but it sound about right to me. I don't recall where I read but thats what I've read.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
If you checked everything else you say you checked then it all seems to point at the FPR. What you can do is disconnect the small vac hose on it and see if fuel leaks out of it. HOWEVER, I'd say wait for someone else to approve of what I just said because I'm not 100% sure thats the exact way to test but it sound about right to me. I don't recall where I read but thats what I've read.
I read that in some thread as well. That's a pretty simple check so I may just try that.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:21 AM

I didnt see MAF on yur list of maintenance. So i wd def say clean that too.

FPR is a check valve can lose its ability to hold gas in the engine over time. If the car takes a while to start cold (say sittin overnight) but starts up perfect when warm then its the FPR.

usually in cases such as urs, cleaning the MAF and TB does the trick. Check CKPS tranny side, TPS, and CPS too.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Yeah and a easy way to test the MAF is to disconnect the MAF and then rev it or wait for it to stall out and if it doesn't then BLAM! haha
Old 09-08-2010, 03:56 PM

MAF is perfectly clean and has been checked. Just didn't add it to the list. It doesn't have the symptoms of a bad MAF anyway.

Doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold, it still does it. If I leave the key in the ON position for a short period of time it seems to help but I still need to rev it slightly to keep it on. If it sits for a while it cranks for a bit longer before it actually turns on, which leads me to believe it's a fuel problem and not a sensor problem. I think it's either the FPR or the fuel pump. I don't think it's the latter. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the FPR and see if there's anything I can find.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fast1one
What are your thoughts on this problem? The car has done this for approximately two months. I don't do a lot of driving lately, so it hasn't been a large issue for me but I want to fix it before I go back to college.

The problem: Car cranks and starts but stalls immediately while hovering around 700-900rpms. Revving the car to approx. 1000-1500rpms for a couple seconds upon startup cures the problem and the car runs and idles perfectly. I have no trouble codes at all.

Things that I've checked/changed for routine maintenance:

-All grounds inspected
-All Major sensors checked (TPS, IACV, etc)
-Throttle and IACV thoroughly cleaned
-Changed fuel filter
-Changed PCV valve
-Changed Spark Plugs to O.E. NGK
-Coil packs checked and working
-Battery checked (Optima Red)
-Replaced starter/solenoid, brand new and checked all connections

I think that is all the maintenance I have done in the last couple months. I believe it may be the FPR, but I am not completely sure. This thread seems to indicate the FPR:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...regulator.html

Post #5 shows the same problem that I am having. Opinions please? I am not completely opposed to trying the FPR since it is relatively cheap and easy to swap out but I wanted some other opinions first. Appreciate your responses
Yes sir, that is definitely an FPR issue. Get it replaced. Had the exact same symptoms so I know from experience. Bought mine OEM though but you have your options..
Old 09-08-2010, 06:09 PM

i had same issue was fpr.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Yes sir, that is definitely an FPR issue. Get it replaced. Had the exact same symptoms so I know from experience. Bought mine OEM though but you have your options..
Thank you! I contacted my friend who owns a service shop and he's going to check it out tomorrow just to be sure. Courtesy Nissan has them for $104 so I really don't see a point in buying a possibly inferior autozone one for a measly $40...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Fast1one
Thank you! I contacted my friend who owns a service shop and he's going to check it out tomorrow just to be sure. Courtesy Nissan has them for $104 so I really don't see a point in buying a possibly inferior autozone one for a measly $40...
I like your attitude.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I like your attitude.
I learned my lesson years ago. I'm going to drive this car until it does or it costs too much to maintain. Until then I will continue to buy quality parts for it.