Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   New Spark Plugs = Harder Start (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/622424-new-spark-plugs-harder-start.html)

Swazey 10-13-2010 07:04 AM

New Spark Plugs = Harder Start

I replaced my spark plugs last nite because i have been getting horrid gas mileage and my 96 maxima has lost some of its get up and go. The replacements were the same as the ones in there, NGK platinums. when i took the spark plugs out the tips were white.

I have been dealing with a hard start issue ever since i replaced my clutch years ago. the car will start but just not right away. takes 2 or 3 tries. sometimes it does start right up but usually takes a few cranks.

now that i have installed the new plugs, the car takes 5 to 6 turns to start. the car wants to turn over, kind of burps and after a few cranks it turns over. it runs perfectly fine, idles fine and the low end power is back.

i added 3 ground wires, cleaned all my grounds, got a new air filter (k and n with frankencar intake) the starter is strong but i do have a recharged battery i got for 35 bucks. it reads 14 volts on my voltmeter. could my battery be going?

any reason why new plugs would cause me to have a harder start?

JDM4LIF 10-13-2010 08:26 AM

did you check the gaps on the plugs? the smallest mm makes the diff.

bullet187 10-13-2010 09:39 AM

You could try cleaning your Throttle Body, some times it causes hard starts. I havent heard of spark plugs causing hard starts especially if you tried new spark plugs and it didn't help. The other possibility is your starter is on its way out and the new spark plugs require more power to start.

Swazey 10-13-2010 10:14 AM

i did not check the gap on the plugs before i installed them. arent the NGK platinums pre-gapped and do not need to be checked?? (writing that makes me feel like an idiot)

I cleaned the throttle body, iacv and all that a few months ago. there was hardly any carbon build up at all. i hope its not the starter but it could be. its the original starter pushing 150k and ive had a starting problem for years. its a beast!

new starter and new battery may do the trick, i just dont have that kind of money to spend right now, urghh

Justaguy 10-13-2010 10:38 AM

maybe put the old spark plugs back and see what happens.

Swazey 10-13-2010 11:07 AM

just went out for a lunch break and car started right up on the first crank. it is 15 degrees warmer than it was this morning. very strange

asand1 10-13-2010 01:06 PM

1 NGKs are pre gapped.
2 NEVER gap platinums, you destroy the platimun.
2 milleage and sluggishness sounds like KS, run codes whether u have CEL or not.
3 If its cranking slow its starter, cables, or battery.

FallenOne 10-14-2010 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by asand1 (Post 7773176)
1 NGKs are pre gapped.
2 NEVER gap platinums, you destroy the platimun.
2 milleage and sluggishness sounds like KS, run codes whether u have CEL or not.
3 If its cranking slow its starter, cables, or battery.

Hi im FallenOne and I approve this message! :thumbsup:

S1cTech 10-14-2010 05:08 AM

u said you been having issues since the clutch was last installed? did you put on any different type of flywheel or something with a different ring gear? are there any codes? You might of forgottin a switch.

Br0nz 10-14-2010 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by FallenOne (Post 7773875)
Hi im FallenOne and I approve this message! :thumbsup:

lol

... i know you said you added grounds but check the one to the starter and tranny also i had a hard start after forgetting to reconnect the airbox air temp sensor or whatever its called does the frankencar delete it?

asand1 10-14-2010 09:14 AM

You may have bad grond to your starter. Test with a jumper cable from your batt neg to starter mount bolt.
You may have to clean mating surfaces on starter and trans.