4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cutting H&R's...... need some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 06:56 PM

Cutting H&R's...... need some feedback

think this friday my max is goin in the shop for a lil modding. Im looking to chop about 1/2 a coil to make the car sit a lil lower then the typical 1.4" drop that us H&R guys seem to hate. My boy just chopped his 96 max with 100k on it down a lil more than 2" on stock springs/struts and rides 10x better than my car does, i dont get it
When i went for a ride in it the car has a lil "lowrider bounce" to it, nothing horrible, i actually liked a lil bounce in the ride, lol.
Plus its been over a month and not one problem!

BTW he is riding on stock 15's and im on 17's....that obviously has a lil to do with his smooth ride.

Anyways i just want some feedback, NO FLAMING PLEASE

thanks,
Anthony
Old 12-17-2001, 08:09 PM

Re: Cutting H&R's...... need some feedback

Originally posted by ny96max
think this friday my max is goin in the shop for a lil modding. Im looking to chop about 1/2 a coil to make the car sit a lil lower then the typical 1.4" drop that us H&R guys seem to hate. My boy just chopped his 96 max with 100k on it down a lil more than 2" on stock springs/struts and rides 10x better than my car does, i dont get it
When i went for a ride in it the car has a lil "lowrider bounce" to it, nothing horrible, i actually liked a lil bounce in the ride, lol.
Plus its been over a month and not one problem!

BTW he is riding on stock 15's and im on 17's....that obviously has a lil to do with his smooth ride.

Anyways i just want some feedback, NO FLAMING PLEASE

thanks,
Anthony
Don't expect to see the same results as your friend. I am suprised your friends ride is still good. Eventually his struts will go and his ride will be bouncy and the handeling will be horrible. If you want to lower your car buy springs that are already lower in drop. I suggest Dropzone, Sprint or B&G. I will even help you out by buying your H&R's off you. But then again its up to you...if you just care about the drop and not handeling then go and put the springs under the knife.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:18 PM

Re: Re: Cutting H&R's...... need some feedback

Originally posted by black97max

Don't expect to see the same results as your friend. I am suprised your friends ride is still good. Eventually his struts will go and his ride will be bouncy and the handeling will be horrible. If you want to lower your car buy springs that are already lower in drop. I suggest Dropzone, Sprint or B&G. I will even help you out by buying your H&R's off you. But then again its up to you...if you just care about the drop and not handeling then go and put the springs under the knife.
-what he said.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:26 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

yeh, I'm with everyone here....

What I would do if I was in your position, is get some B&G springs which are supposed to be like .3-.4" lower then H&Rs with the same ride quality? (if i'm not mistaken) Then sell the H&Rs, you'll end up loosing less then 80$ probably and think of it as you have just safely, without any skepticism lowered your car more AND got a set of brand new quality spring which will last you for a loooong while

When it comes to suspension, I just wouldn't want to screw around and put extra stress on the struts, screw up my ride quality etc.. there quite a big difference between 15" and 17" ride quality.

BTW, how low do you want to go? Remember, you live in NY, winters can get Nasty... and you'll be plowing snow with that Stillen lip
Old 12-17-2001, 08:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Or you can cut them as planned like I did

Well forget loosing money and handle your business and cut them. I have intrax and cut a coil off in the front only it rides just fine no bounce at all. One thing I have koni adjustables, and even if I didnt hell I still cut my springs, I was talked out of it 4 times and sprints are no where to be found so I just put the hacksaw to those puppies and I love my beautiful even drop (2 finger fender well gap up front) Same as sprint and saved some money doing it and I am very happy. I am not the only one thats done this theres other guys that cut their Eibachs or Suspension techniques lower than I did, but then again I cut one only on the side where the coils touch each other and those coils absorb the small bumps, I just saw it as a useless washer.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:36 PM

Yah but the progressive strength is gone,

,they don't respond like they did when they were engineered.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:51 PM

get sprints
Old 12-17-2001, 11:05 PM

I was only going to cut off about a 1/2" piece off the bottom coil all the way around. Nothing more than that.

any thoughts??

Ant