4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOS electrical hook up, give me a hand

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 10:18 PM

NOS electrical hook up, give me a hand

Hey everyone,
Well, I'm installing the electrical stuff on my NOS 50 shot. I connected all the junk, and then it came time to turn on the car. Well, some fuses blew in the fusebox, not the fuse on the orange wire to the battery, just some fuses. I think I made the mistake by trying to get the Accesory power from splicing it with the accsaory wire on the cigarette lighter. Damn, I think that messed it up, but it was extremely cold and dark outside. So after I replace the fuses, where should I get the accesory power from? The fusebox? If so, which colored wire is it????
Old 12-18-2001, 03:05 AM
Administrator

i got mine from the fuse box.. but i had a simular problem you had.. i guess by the time i put the center console i had a wire that was touching the frame of the center console.. so one day when i had some patience.. i took it apart.. spliced new wires.. soildered properly and taped them up properly.. and now its fine..
Old 12-18-2001, 12:43 PM

SprintMax,
Thanks for the tip, how did u find the wire? I think that I'm going to use a test light, but if you know the color of the wire that would be of great help. Thanks. Also, I have the red toggle switch, and there are two terminals on it. I connect the 12+power to one terminal, and the accesory power to the other, correct? If I'm right, then you don't have to ground this because there is no light on it. Thanks
Old 12-18-2001, 12:51 PM
Administrator

i took the positive wire from the cigarette lighter..

if its for NOS you need a 3 pin toggle switch.. you do need ground.. and i had a switch with my kit..

Originally posted by shaftcube
SprintMax,
Thanks for the tip, how did u find the wire? I think that I'm going to use a test light, but if you know the color of the wire that would be of great help. Thanks. Also, I have the red toggle switch, and there are two terminals on it. I connect the 12+power to one terminal, and the accesory power to the other, correct? If I'm right, then you don't have to ground this because there is no light on it. Thanks
Old 12-18-2001, 01:06 PM

Damn, that's weird, I must of done something wrong, now I have the blue switch connected, the one that came with the kit, but I ordered the NOS one w/the red guard over the toggle switch. Anyways, now I have the blue switch on, and I got the accesory power by splicing into the orange power wire and connecting that to the switch. When I turned it, the fuses shorted. Everything else, all the other electrical stuff is grounded and hooked up, just this damn switch, and I want to get my NOS connected. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 12-18-2001, 01:07 PM
Administrator

what fuse are you shorting out?

Damn, that's weird, I must of done something wrong, now I have the blue switch connected, the one that came with the kit, but I ordered the NOS one w/the red guard over the toggle switch. Anyways, now I have the blue switch on, and I got the accesory power by splicing into the orange power wire and connecting that to the switch. When I turned it, the fuses shorted. Everything else, all the other electrical stuff is grounded and hooked up, just this damn switch, and I want to get my NOS connected. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 12-18-2001, 01:11 PM

well I haven't had the chance to check it yet, but there was a decent sized flash, it was dark and cold and I was pretty annoyed, I'll have to check the fuse when I get home. Where did you ground your wire for the switch? And you did splice the wire from the cigarette lighter?
Old 12-18-2001, 01:14 PM

the red toggle switch I ordered from NOS only has 2 terminals, I called the tech line, the guy said that one wire is for the 12v power, the other is for the accesory wire, he said that u dont need to ground it Thanks
Old 12-18-2001, 01:17 PM
Administrator

the red toggle switch I ordered from NOS only has 2 terminals, I called the tech line, the guy said that one wire is for the 12v power, the other is for the accesory wire, he said that u dont need to ground it Thanks
they are full of **** .. check your NOS manual again.. its 3 wires.. ground, constant power, and activation..

i took both terminals from the cigarette lighter.. power and ground.. and tap wires off them.. i am using them for NOS Activation switch, Bottle Heater Switch, FP Gauge, EGT Gauge, NOS RPM Switch.. after i did my clean install with time to think.. i stopped popping fuses
Old 12-18-2001, 03:08 PM

the red toggle is only 2 wire cuz it don't light up like the one the is supplied with the kit.
& as for a ground, (if you use the red covered toggle - no ground) you can ground it any where that is easy to get to & closed the the relay.
it is better to tap power from the fuse box & run the nos system fuse(s) independant from other accessories if possible. this is good for 2 reasons (1) easy to diagnos if it is a problem with your nos sys. or sys. in vehicle (2) not as much amperage draw in that one circuit that can cause fuses to blow.
Old 12-18-2001, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the info, do you remember which colored wire you used from the back of the fuse box?
Old 12-18-2001, 03:47 PM

Sprint,
Have you had any trouble with the NOS electrical system as it is through the cigarette lighter (fuses blowing or anything??)
Old 12-18-2001, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Sprint,
Have you had any trouble with the NOS electrical system as it is through the cigarette lighter (fuses blowing or anything??)
only that one time i explained above.. and i didn' tap the fuse box.. i taped the cig lighter
Old 12-18-2001, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the info, do you remember which colored wire you used from the back of the fuse box?
there are open/unused terminals in your fuse box that are hot, you can tap off of any one.

you can either get a connector that pops into the open terminal & intall a fuse to compete the ciruit (best)

install a fuse & use a fuse tap (easiest way)

or tap right into the wiring behind the fuse box
Old 12-19-2001, 11:43 AM
XtremeHKS

Originally posted by 99NosMax

there are open/unused terminals in your fuse box that are hot, you can tap off of any one.

you can either get a connector that pops into the open terminal & intall a fuse to compete the ciruit (best)

install a fuse & use a fuse tap (easiest way)

or tap right into the wiring behind the fuse box
can't you just find a 20amp fuse and then just take the wire and wrap it around the fuse and plug it back in?

Old 12-19-2001, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by XtremeHKS

can't you just find a 20amp fuse and then just take the wire and wrap it around the fuse and plug it back in?
you can do that.. but his way looks cleaner..
Old 12-19-2001, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
you can do that.. but his way looks cleaner..
And if you ever have to troubleshoot later on, you wikll be happy you kept everything as organized as possible.

SuDZ