4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My bose HU doesn't turn on, did it die?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 PM

My bose HU doesn't turn on, did it die?

Okay, heres the story. BTW MODS, I'm only posting here as I feel I'd get a quicker response; if the thread needs to be moved, please do so.

I was doing the foglight rewire mod. I was by myself. I had been working with the neg terminal off. So as I would test to see if I had done right, I would reconnect the terminal and place the keys in the ON setting. I carelessly left the keys in on and put the terminal back on, only to be followed by the clicking of what I think is the starter (Im a car noob, atleast I'm honest) All in all, the rewire was successful. It wasn't until a few hours I realized that my HU stopped working; it wouldn't turn on. Now either its pure coincidence that the day I work with wires it died,or I shorted my HU in the process. I checked all the fuses related to audio and they're all fine, so my theory is that its just a coincidence. BUT also another nooby comment, the lights inside the HU still turn on when i turn my lights on.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I've already started saving up for a new HU as I'm prepared to have it confirmed that my HU is just a hunk of metal now.

thanks in advance
Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 AM

It does sound like the hu died on you. I had a hu that where the speakers stopped working one by one but the display looked fine. Also, the problem was different depending on if I was using a CD or the radio or the tape, but then the whole thing died.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Idrivea98Maxima
Okay, heres the story. BTW MODS, I'm only posting here as I feel I'd get a quicker response; if the thread needs to be moved, please do so.

I was doing the foglight rewire mod. I was by myself. I had been working with the neg terminal off. So as I would test to see if I had done right, I would reconnect the terminal and place the keys in the ON setting. I carelessly left the keys in on and put the terminal back on, only to be followed by the clicking of what I think is the starter (Im a car noob, atleast I'm honest) All in all, the rewire was successful. It wasn't until a few hours I realized that my HU stopped working; it wouldn't turn on. Now either its pure coincidence that the day I work with wires it died,or I shorted my HU in the process. I checked all the fuses related to audio and they're all fine, so my theory is that its just a coincidence. BUT also another nooby comment, the lights inside the HU still turn on when i turn my lights on.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I've already started saving up for a new HU as I'm prepared to have it confirmed that my HU is just a hunk of metal now.

thanks in advance
I had something similar happen. I had taken my HU out to work on some other stuff, put it back in, then a few days later I went over a bump on the highway and it cut out, totally dead. I still had the lights inside the HU like you have, but nothing else would function at all.

Messed with it around for a little bit but ended up just replacing it with a new Alpine deck. Sounds and looks better anyways.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 AM

just replace it and the interior speakers, best thing i ever did, I did a pioneer hu and alpine interiors, sounds the *****
Old 11-09-2010, 07:04 AM

you could take the hu out and then unscrew the faceplate and see if the contacts on the hu's power button (volume know) got disconnected. if they did, just solder them up and try it again.

here's my thread when i had a volume **** problem (with pictures): http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...eshooting.html
Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by 1997MAXZ
just replace it and the interior speakers, best thing i ever did, I did a pioneer hu and alpine interiors, sounds the *****
which alpines did u get? when i got my max my headunit had no visual n sound came out of one speaker. got an alpine in there now. so much easier. a ***** gettin in tho
Old 11-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Dose the Boso unit have anti theft? have you checked fuses?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

jusy buy a new unit..a pioneer or something
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mistah_M
which alpines did u get? when i got my max my headunit had no visual n sound came out of one speaker. got an alpine in there now. so much easier. a ***** gettin in tho
type s's, plenty loud and clear
Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 AM

http://madchef.5u.com/maxima/bose/fixes.html

http://madchef.5u.com/maxima/bose/bose.html