4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

To Part or to sell? No damage to car, but advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM

To Part or to sell? No damage to car, but advice needed!

Hey guys!!
I have a dilemma, and need some input asap.

I have both a heavily modded 00 maxima 5 speed and an 97 maxima. The 97 was my first car and i loved it and babied until the engine went out at 185,00. The engine was knocking heavily so i thought i would replace the engine. I found a 99 vq30de with 60k miles, and had an engine swap at as a place in Newark for close to $1500 all said and done. (the engine i bought was calli spec, so some things needed to be swapped). About a week ago i started the engine and i heard the feint knock AGAIN! The car has been kept in very good condition, not a single ding or dent on the body, but their is no way i'm going to do another swap. The car has 190,200 miles on it now. The car has a cel for a knock sensor and oxygen sensor, and it needs a driver side axle. (Once a little salt got in the boot i here it grinding at heavy turns now). I dont want to put another cent in this car since i have my 00 to worry about/maintain. As for options: Has a complete interior i30 swap (With adjustable head rests, chrome handles, leather door panels, wood grain all over from an i30, not a cheap overlay). After market CD player, new brakes, new front and rear struts, much more. All in all im asking how much will i get selling it like it is now, and how much for a complete part out?
Car is 1997 with the deep evergreen color. thanks!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM

All depends. Wanna post up some ics:?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM

yeap im at school now ill post some pics tonight tomorrow latest
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Cool. If you do decide to part out, I may be interested in some interior stuff.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:05 AM

TBH I don't think you would get very much for it. Harsh reality but remember that the money that you put into the car does very little to add to the actual value to the car because its seen as maintenance, and mods are usually disregarded and sometimes even frowned upon because the buyer knows you tampered with the car.

Now that being said there is always exceptions, and someone who loves Maximas and who is particularly interested in the mods you've done may be willing to pay more.

Also when people buy broken cars, you have to remember the money they spend fixing it will obviously be deducted from how much they're willing to pay for it, plus the fact that they actually have to fix it will drop the value, and they have to feel like they are getting a good deal as well.

So looking at the book value $2000 (rough estimate), minus the $1500 for another engine swap, assuming it doesn't need anything else and you have to remember its also a 14 year old car and has high miles, I'd say you'd be glad to pull at most $500 out of it. If you think you can get more for the parts then I'd say part it out but I have absolutely no expertise in that field. Either way you're probably at a loss, my advice is just to get rid of it or put it in a tree and call it a treehouse for the kids.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:57 AM

you always get more money by selling things individually(parting it out)....not matter what you sell.

Last edited by BigLou55; 02-07-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:04 PM

Old 02-07-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by bgawad
Hey guys!!
I have a dilemma, and need some input asap.

I have both a heavily modded 00 maxima 5 speed and an 97 maxima. The 97 was my first car and i loved it and babied until the engine went out at 185,00. The engine was knocking heavily so i thought i would replace the engine. I found a 99 vq30de with 60k miles, and had an engine swap at as a place in Newark for close to $1500 all said and done. (the engine i bought was calli spec, so some things needed to be swapped). About a week ago i started the engine and i heard the feint knock AGAIN! The car has been kept in very good condition, not a single ding or dent on the body, but their is no way i'm going to do another swap. The car has 190,200 miles on it now. The car has a cel for a knock sensor and oxygen sensor, and it needs a driver side axle. (Once a little salt got in the boot i here it grinding at heavy turns now). I dont want to put another cent in this car since i have my 00 to worry about/maintain. As for options: Has a complete interior i30 swap (With adjustable head rests, chrome handles, leather door panels, wood grain all over from an i30, not a cheap overlay). After market CD player, new brakes, new front and rear struts, much more. All in all im asking how much will i get selling it like it is now, and how much for a complete part out?
Car is 1997 with the deep evergreen color. thanks!

A feint knock???? Sell a maxi???? u crazy man

U prolly got another 100k before that engine blows. Thats a lot of years/miles/money saved from not having a car payment.

My advice...rock it till the wheels fall off
Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 PM

lol thats the second time the wheels fell off amirite? i dont know, to the OP...its a tough call. with that mileage (only 5k on the engine) id try to go back to who you bought it from
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 PM

is the 97 a 5spd
Old 02-11-2011, 04:29 AM

If I am correct, the 97 was not modded right? So how is it possible to blow one of these engines?? Its very very rare that I hear an engine go in a 4th gen. You would go through tranny rebuilds before replacing an engine..
Old 02-11-2011, 05:15 AM

I think we found the real problem. You are not willing to maintain your vehicles.

I find it irritating you act as if this is not your fault. You admit that you are having a "knock" issue and getting 2 codes that directly affect knock? Perhaps they are related?

Change your oil, use the correct gas grade, properly PMCS, and you will not have these issues.

I think in the future, if you are considering selling something you did not maintain, you should be more intelligently dishonest.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:47 PM

ill buy the 97 max from u if u dont want to fix it
Old 02-13-2011, 04:31 PM

lol i dont maintain my vehicle? pshhh nothing touches either of my cars car except royal purple oil. The first engine went because the guy who did the oil change put my oil pan bolt the wrong way (the thread was warped and he continued to tighten it) as i result it leaked oil slow and ran on no oil and it went. After taking him to court i got my engine replaced by a shop in newark. The 97 is an automatic. I also bought my 00 maxima with 49,000 miles and im not pushing 160,000. Maintance is not the issue, i have a feeling the engine that was swapped had prior damage.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:28 PM

lol i dont maintain my vehicle? pshhh nothing touches either of my cars car except royal purple oil. The first engine went because the guy who did the oil change put my oil pan bolt the wrong way (the thread was warped and he continued to tighten it) as i result it leaked oil slow and ran on no oil and it went. After taking him to court i got my engine replaced by a shop in newark. The 97 is an automatic. I also bought my 00 maxima with 49,000 miles and im not pushing 160,000. Maintance is not the issue, i have a feeling the engine that was swapped had prior damage.
I knew there had to be a reason behind it...I don't know why this guy was down your neck as if it was your fault...
Old 02-13-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
I knew there had to be a reason behind it...I don't know why this guy was down your neck as if it was your fault...
well, looks like his capture wasn't so adroit this time.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:56 PM

The car has a cel for a knock sensor and oxygen sensor, and it needs a driver side axle. (Once a little salt got in the boot i here it grinding at heavy turns now). I dont want to put another cent in this car since i have my 00 to worry about/maintain.
knock sensor - $20?

O2 sensor - depending which one, up to $110.

Driver side transaxle - $70?

= $200? that's all easy DIY. transaxle would be the hardest. I would do that, but it's your car.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 PM

yeap i can do all these things myself. But i dont want to touch these things untill i get the engine knock taken care of. If i need another swap im not going to do it, im parting it out. If its something simple in the engine making a noise then ill take care of all these things. I took it to a shop today, he said it may be my timing chain. So i dont know guys... The noise seems to be coming from under the engine by the oil pan almost. I took the top cover off and everything looked clean and well lubed.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 PM

yeap i can do all these things myself. But i dont want to touch these things untill i get the engine knock taken care of. If i need another swap im not going to do it, im parting it out. If its something simple in the engine making a noise then ill take care of all these things. I took it to a shop today, he said it may be my timing chain. So i dont know guys... The noise seems to be coming from under the engine by the oil pan almost. I took the top cover off and everything looked clean and well lubed.

Dude, buy the knock sensor. Seeing as how these go bad pretty commonly on 4th gens, I'm willing to bet that is your problem. then clear your CEL. because a KS can lead to an O2 sensor failing. so spend $20, possibly save up to $110.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM

how can a knock sensor make a knock (metal on metal contact) in my engine. A bad knock sensor just retards timing, it has nothing to do with idle unless i put bad grade gas in it.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 PM

lol ks make yours engine knock, you dont know what your talking about.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 PM

knock sensor does not make your engine knock, knock sensor monitors your engine for vibration (like when you put bad gas and your engine shakes) and advances timing. Nothing to do with metal on metal contact knocking
Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
A feint knock???? Sell a maxi???? u crazy man

U prolly got another 100k before that engine blows. Thats a lot of years/miles/money saved from not having a car payment.

My advice...rock it till the wheels fall off
Agreed. Might as well just ride 'til it dies.
Does this "knock" happen through the RPM range, or just idle/low RPM?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 PM

i will give you 200 for the car, take it or leave it
Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 AM

200 lol ill give you the door panels... the knock is heard when first turned on then it will go away, after the car is warm and i put it in drive it comes back, and its harder to notice at higher rpms
Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 AM

If you have two cars, don't worry about it. Just keep driving it, its probably just paranoia because its a new motor making a strange sound. Worst case scenario, you drive it until it blows, and then you can drive the other one while you decide what to do with this.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 AM

PARTING??

Have you decided to part it out? If so, I may be interested in interior parts depending on color.

200 lol ill give you the door panels... the knock is heard when first turned on then it will go away, after the car is warm and i put it in drive it comes back, and its harder to notice at higher rpms
Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lol at the people who have no clue what they are talking about. If anything the KS code is there because of the knock, go tap a wrench against your block & scan your codes (Not the op)

Disconnect the accessory belts, I had someone bring me a car for an engine & it was just the alternator, sounded just like bad rod knock. Timing chain rattle sounds nothing like rod knock, sounds like you have rod knock based on the descrip, but I'm not there hearing it. Possible the donor car was a roll-over with a full tank of gas, or totaled for insurance fraud because of the knock, you never know. If it is timing chain related slap a new tensioner on it, the o-rings are probably shot from sitting for awhile, I always put a new tensioner & waterpump in junkyard VQ's that I'm not 100% on.