4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Are climate control buttons lit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Are climate control buttons lit?

For as long as I can remember, my climate control buttons ('96, stock) haven't been lit. The little green lights below each one light up, but at night you can't tell which button is which. Are the buttons themselves supposed to be backlit, or is this as good as it gets?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:16 PM

the buttons itself..shud be lit.
im actually doing LED's on my manual climate control as i type this...
goin to install it..see how it looks
Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 PM

the results..

looks sick in person

Last edited by bkbajan; 02-07-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 PM

Looks pretty cool. But I think yours is a step up from mine. I don't have the color bar, and I'm pretty sure my fan speed **** doesn't light up. Of course, I've just got a GXE, which I probably should have mentioned in the first place.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by DBear
Looks pretty cool. But I think yours is a step up from mine. I don't have the color bar, and I'm pretty sure my fan speed **** doesn't light up. Of course, I've just got a GXE, which I probably should have mentioned in the first place.
i have a GXE also,a nice one tho lol
maybe ur bulbs are burnt out..u shud do this mod,was pretty simple
lmk if u need help
Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM

...so they are supposed to be lit?

The ones in my newly acquired '95 SE are not. The indicator light comes on for A/C, Recirc, and all the airflow directions, but not for anything else. It's very annoying, I just know what does what because I usually only use defrost or defrost+floor...don't like heat blowing in my face.

How hard is it to deal with this? I thought about swapping out a digital setup because they're cheap on e-bay, but I'm not sure if the plugs are the same...and I'm not sure I'd prefer the digital over the manual to be honest.

EDIT: I realized that my rear defroster/hazard buttons aren't lit either (and yours clearly are), and that's even stranger because I broke the heater vents on the original one (while swapping out the stock head unit), so rather than dealing with trying to fix them I bought another assembly off EBay for $15 shipped, and neither the old one or the new one ever lit. Again, the indicators come on, but that's all.

Last edited by jas1203; 02-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by jas1203
no, nissan just stuck bulbs back there that dont work, just to mess with you

Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Glad I have auto controls :-)
Old 02-08-2011, 05:04 PM

The ones in my newly acquired '95 SE are not. The indicator light comes on for A/C, Recirc, and all the airflow directions, but not for anything else. It's very annoying, I just know what does what because I usually only use defrost or defrost+floor...don't like heat blowing in my face.

How hard is it to deal with this? I thought about swapping out a digital setup because they're cheap on e-bay, but I'm not sure if the plugs are the same...and I'm not sure I'd prefer the digital over the manual to be honest.

EDIT: I realized that my rear defroster/hazard buttons aren't lit either (and yours clearly are), and that's even stranger because I broke the heater vents on the original one (while swapping out the stock head unit), so rather than dealing with trying to fix them I bought another assembly off EBay for $15 shipped, and neither the old one or the new one ever lit. Again, the indicators come on, but that's all.
change ur bulbs,look in the how-to section on the procedure for taking it apart
Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 PM

i have auto controls but my bulbs are burnt out. gay
Old 02-09-2011, 07:48 AM

While all the bulbs could be burned out, make sure your dash illumination switch is rotated to on, then check fuse for dash illumination. If you have a VOM, you can check for voltage at the illumination pins of one of the connectors to verify if you are getting power.