4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

First Time, Nooblicous DEK swap. Need help guys, NY'ers welcome!! Brooklyn!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 AM

First Time, Nooblicous DEK swap. Need help guys, NY'ers welcome!! Brooklyn!

So before I start, I'd appreciate If the answers are in hyperlink form to a write up. I have searched through the forums and It's so hard for a noob to understand the terms and abbreviations. Thank you and greatly appreciated in advance

Ok, So this is the first car I bought, It's an 95 max with 97 bumpers. Being this is my first time buying a car, I was VERY ignorant didn't know anything I was doing. I bought the car for 1500$ the guy said It was very good, HID headlights, leather interior, 5 speed, black on black zen rims., Injen Cai, "performance headers and exhaust", power seats and etc. etc. So It sounded like a great deal and he said it ran. So that same day I drove home the engine started smoking I pulled over and i see a small fire on the wires connected from the starter, so I put it out with a bottle of water, but the car still turned on and ran fine. Then it stalled at a red light. My friend then pushed it to the curb for me. It turned out the car overheated and the coolant was empty. I let it sit for an hour and half and put more coolant in, and drove home. 2 days later the exhaust started smoking really bad and smelled like antifreeze. It turns out i have a blown head gasket. but the car still turned on and ran but sometimes I would have to bang the starter to crank the car. Now when i turn on the car It would just idle and died so my alternator went out too! Big headache.

So now I got offered a dek out of an 2000 for dirt cheap (basically free), I'm pretty limited to funds so I want to do all the work myself because I have access to all those resources and tools. So before I do this swap half as$ed I really want to get all my sh*t together.

This is my FIRST DIY!!!

What Do I need to complete this swap? Is there a write up on to remove the engine? Links? Heres what I know I need for now

torque wrench, breaker bar, screwdriver set, Allen key set, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, 20mm, and 24mm sockets. Dremel (rotary tool) and Drill (what kind of drill? specific size/name) Jack stands and a hydraulic jack

Any thing I missed please let me know.

So for the engine what do I need to change? I asked a couple of people from the org heres what I know and please let me know what I am missing.

So I understand that I could do 2 things:

Use fuel injector clips if I am using the dek fuel rail or I could use the lower 4th gen im but I would have to drill into the dek UIM

So Which one is easier to do?

I heard my injen cai is going to make things a little easier because then I wont have to try to make the air box fit

I know I need to swap over some sensors too, Please list them?

Will I need to swap oil pans from the de?

What about the throttle bottle?

I'm also planning to replace my CV axles too because when I turn my wheel i hear a loud clicking noise from it. What tools will I need to replace that?

I also hear my rear brakes squeaking, Is that the brake line or the pads? I'm planning to replace the rotors and pads on all 4 wheels.

I really want this swap to go smooth like an egg. So please Dont leave out any informations all is appreciated.

I'll be sure to add pics and keep the org updated!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:15 PM

my .02, this is your first car, a dn first DIY? Not a good one to start with....go on craigslist, you find people running swaps for dirt cheap...have them do it, and make sure it is done properly...if you are off on specs, break a clip, miss a shim, you will be back tracking for days and be w/o a ride.

I saw someone on CL recently doing swaps for $350, case in point. I have done swaps, and as for the satisfaction aside...its a lot of f'n work when someone else will do it for 350!!!!
You have way too many ?'s for me to feel utterly confident in telling you to go ahead w/ this.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by 350zMaximaownr
my .02, this is your first car, a dn first DIY? Not a good one to start with....go on craigslist, you find people running swaps for dirt cheap...have them do it, and make sure it is done properly...if you are off on specs, break a clip, miss a shim, you will be back tracking for days and be w/o a ride.

I saw someone on CL recently doing swaps for $350, case in point. I have done swaps, and as for the satisfaction aside...its a lot of f'n work when someone else will do it for 350!!!!
You have way too many ?'s for me to feel utterly confident in telling you to go ahead w/ this.
This is not what I want to hear! Everyone that i asked from org told me that this is very possible to do even for a first timer. If you didn't read my post I'm already without a car, months too. I'm also doing this swap for learning purposes so I'm willing to put sweat and blood into it.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:23 PM

The DE-K is the same engine pretty much, Im not sure what all is different when it comes to other parts but most of it for that swap was plug and play i thought.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlazedHoisanLo
This is not what I want to hear! Everyone that i asked from org told me that this is very possible to do even for a first timer. If you didn't read my post I'm already without a car, months too. I'm also doing this swap for learning purposes so I'm willing to put sweat and blood into it.
K, well consider also some pretty poor dyno results recently posted from the swap and decide if THIS is really what you want to do and what you desire for your first initiative...secondly, are you sure that the DE-K even runs?

It is similar and engine swap should be straightforward enough, bu check here, Nico club, and try to get some others around you that can help you so when you run into issues you're not running blind. GL
Old 04-15-2011, 05:09 PM

Someone please answer my questions please? Guide me in the right direction!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 PM

No body wants to help this poor college boy? =[
Old 04-15-2011, 07:42 PM

I feel your struggle but you have to understand that this isn't the type of thing that can normally be taught over the internet. Theres a very small percentage of people on this forum that have done a swap with their own hands and can answer answer some/all of your questions. With that being said theres probably even less of them that want to guide you step by step through the process since it probably pretty complicated and time consuming. I'm not saying its rocket science to do an engine swap but its definitely not as easy as a typical brake job. Maximas aren't the most ideal car to do a first time swaps on either, engine bay is rather complicated and crowded compared to an older toyota or honda 4cyl.

With that being said, if you still feel like you want to do it then go for it, I'm sure you'll learn a lot about your car this way. I wish you luck with the swap!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 PM

Ok, u had a lot of questions. How would u rate your mechanical ability otherwise? basically, can u follow instructions? If i say to unbolt a transmission are you gonna be scared to do it? if youre not scared, and can follow directions, it IS a simple procedure. Its just turning wrenches man. Can you turn wrenches? if so, ill help you through it, because it is straight forward in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:24 PM

Well I'm not gonna say it's easy, bcuz the problems come in top play as soon as you get it all back together, turn the key, and it doesn't start. That is when having never done one and not having mechanical knowledge enough to troubleshoot the problem becomes a big problem. But we can answer questions. I just ask that you pull up the dek swap write ups first and read through them. I know they are out there because I've read them.

Google dek swap maxima.org and you should get results

But I'm willing to help you too, it's been a while since docking my dek swap though..it's not as fresh as it used to be
Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by BlazedHoisanLo

So I understand that I could do 2 things:

Use fuel injector clips if I am using the dek fuel rail or I could use the lower 4th gen im but I would have to drill into the dek UIM

If you use the 4th gen lower you have to use the injectors off the 4th gen and redrill

So Which one is easier to do?

I think the 5th gen is pretty much plug and play with some soldering and some tuning.

I heard my injen cai is going to make things a little easier because then I wont have to try to make the air box fit

Just use a short air ram

I know I need to swap over some sensors too, Please list them?

The ones that come to mind is IAVC, maf,EGR stuff,knock sensor the coolant log may need to be swapped out. Im sure there are more im just throwing the things off the top of my head.

Will I need to swap oil pans from the de?
no

What about the throttle bottle?

Keep 5th gen and block off 5th gen IACV

I also hear my rear brakes squeaking, Is that the brake line or the pads? I'm planning to replace the rotors and pads on all 4 wheels.

Replace them.

I really want this swap to go smooth like an egg. So please Dont leave out any informations all is appreciated.

I'll be sure to add pics and keep the org updated!
Search is your friend. Do lots of it before attempting this.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
Ok, u had a lot of questions. How would u rate your mechanical ability otherwise? basically, can u follow instructions? If i say to unbolt a transmission are you gonna be scared to do it? if youre not scared, and can follow directions, it IS a simple procedure. Its just turning wrenches man. Can you turn wrenches? if so, ill help you through it, because it is straight forward in my opinion.
Yes I'm great at following directions and always been very good with my hands. I have no fear of doing this, that's why I'm attempting it. I appreciate all the help so far any more Is great!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:25 AM

well, go for it then! when do u plan on starting? ill go ahead and start making a simple step by step whenever ur getting close to that time.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:16 PM

Anyone in Brooklyn wanna do the swap for me? I'll compensate them!