4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Would you sell?
Yes
74.19%
No
25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Would you sell your Maxima for . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by madoka
Perhaps you're just a kid or have reading comprehension issues.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, which is why I'm asking for different opinions. But it seems a lot of you bought your Maximas used, and so feel no qualms about switching to another used one. I wonder if it would make a difference if you've owned the same car since new for so long?
you have a 16 year old car that has 270k miles on it and have been offered $5k for it...theres no loss of reading comprehension. its simple, point blank period, my maxima would be gone. tell you what. tell them buy my 5th gen for $5k. well taken care of. if they dont like the coilover option ill swap in a set of oem suspension. no bullshiet
Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 AM

OP, I am trying to keep an open mind, but I have a hard time believing a word you are saying. What are the other three vehicles you are referring to? Quite frankly I think you are a legend in your own mind and the Maxima is your only car and your parents are trying to do you a favour.

I have a 95SE one-owner 5-speed, one owner, in mint condition. Loaded, Black Emerald, tan leather like-new seats. I'll sell it to you for $25k. The tranny was rebuilt (differential carrier problem) and I had a new clutch kit thrown in at the same time (2 years ago, 7k miles ago). I am open to negotiation but why would a man of your means bother.

I know it may sound like a no-brainer to many of you, so let me throw this out there:

If I bought another car to replace the Maxima, it will probably be somewhere between $70-$100K. My last three cars cost $65K, $76K, and $90K and right now I've got $45K in cash burning a hole in my pocket. Not buying such a new car would save much more than what I'd get selling the Maxima. In essence, I would be protecting myself from myself.

BTW, I am sometimes playing devil's advocate here as I want to keep an open mind.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
you have a 16 year old car that has 270k miles on it and have been offered $5k for it...theres no loss of reading comprehension. its simple, point blank period, my maxima would be gone. tell you what. tell them buy my 5th gen for $5k. well taken care of. if they dont like the coilover option ill swap in a set of oem suspension. no bullshiet
You don't seem to understand that my parent aren't looking to buy a used car. They're trying to force me to stop using mine.

And to conclude this thread, I said no. My spouse said yes. We agreed to use this poll as the tiebreaker, so like I said nothing was decided. While I was hoping for civil discourse given my situation, it's devolved to name calling and insults. I guess we'll go back to flipping a coin or something.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 AM

coming to the internet to overturn what your house (spouse) said is a dumb decision. you're trying to cause more problems then necessary. listen to your spouse
Old 07-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Administrator

1995 GLE with 270,000 miles

Mods: Borbet wheels, Pioneer headunit, Pioneer 12 disc changer, Infinity speakers, Sony amp, FST, K&N filter (which I've come to loathe), Stillen exhaust, H&K springs, Tokico struts

Known problems: sunroof leaks into the cabin, rattle from ashtray, paint chipping away from rear bumper, CD changer seems to lose it's connection randomly, ever present CEL, minor oil leak which according to my mechanic is not worth fixing

I've been offered $5,000 for my car by my parents. They do not want me to drive her any more and want to donate it to a friend of theirs who does not have a car. I firmly told them NO. She was the first car I ever bought and I've had her since new. My spouse has asked me to reconsider, so I'd like your opinions.

Outside of an emotional attachment to my Maxima, she is listed as the primary vehicle, so I pay less for my other cars. I tend to drive significantly slower when in the Maxima, so I don't have to worry about tickets nearly as much. I don't have to worry as much about door dings, nicks and scratches, etc. I've always tried to maintain her well over the years. Overall, I feel really comfortable driving this car and put more miles on her than any of the other four cars I own.

On the con side, every time registration comes up, I have to wonder if she'll pass. There's been several years where I've paid up to three times the car's value for repairs. But obviously, she is worth way more to me than whatever Blue Book is, so I pay up every time.

So knowing all that, what would you do in my situation?

You don't seem to understand that my parent aren't looking to buy a used car. They're trying to force me to stop using mine.
Why? What's the big deal??

This is the other thing that doesn't add up. Besides you not taking your parents offer, why would your parents offer to overpay for your Max, which quit honestly is in **** poor condition...and takes lots of $$ to pass smog (your own words) year after year when there are better cars out there for 5k?? Why "donate" your Max with know problems/on going expenses to a friend when it would make more sense to buy said friend a different decent car for 5k w/o problems? Sounds more like a disservice than a favor to me....

So much of this and other things stated don't make sense, that I'm starting to think it's time to raise the BS flag.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:24 PM

SELL.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 PM

I beat you to the BS flag. Plus the jerk PMs me with a picture of his Maxima beside two of his supposed cars in a parking lot, not a driveway. I told him to post the registration for all 4 vehicles.

Any "normal" person with the cars he supposedly owns wouldn't be caught dead driving a 95 Maxima that has seen better days, let alone boasting that it sees more miles than the other vehicles combined.

Plus he has been told overwhelmingly to deep six the Maxima and take the $5 grand. Time to move on, OP.

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Why? What's the big deal??

This is the other thing that doesn't add up. Besides you not taking your parents offer, why would your parents offer to overpay for your Max, which quit honestly is in **** poor condition...and takes lots of $$ to pass smog (your own words) year after year when there are better cars out there for 5k?? Why "donate" your Max with know problems/on going expenses to a friend when it would make more sense to buy said friend a different decent car for 5k w/o problems? Sounds more like a disservice than a favor to me....

So much of this and other things stated don't make sense, that I'm starting to think it's time to raise the BS flag.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:27 PM

He's being modest driving the maxima because he has disposable income .
Old 07-29-2011, 01:46 PM

I actually sold my F430 to get my Maxima because they're awesome.

Great thread.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:59 PM

maybe its like the papa johns dude with his z28.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:25 PM

my dad offered me $300 for my max the other day.. i wish i had this guys parents.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by GarageToys

Great thread.
That's funny because I've sold my F40 last year to get my used Maxima because it has better performance!

On a side note, Kate Beckinsale just recently asked me out but, I said no.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by neocry
She was probably just interested in your sweet Maxima anyway.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

:metalmax:
Old 07-29-2011, 06:01 PM

Great thread.

Originally Posted by neocry
That's funny because I've sold my F40 last year to get my used Maxima because it has better performance!

The more the OP posts the worse he is making himself look. It's quite funny.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

i bet someones cattman full exhaust OP won't chime back in
Old 07-29-2011, 06:17 PM

She was probably just interested in your sweet Maxima anyway.
LOL!!!

That's exactly why I've rejected her and moved on to pursue finer things in life that would truly satisfy me ... you know, things like McDonald's happy meal, Budweiser and wait for it ........... hot dog on a stick (corn dogs). Freakin mind blowing right? Hot dog on a stick! ... Genius!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 PM

I'm going to start a new thread with a poll:

"Should we lock the thread 'Would you sell your Maxima for . . . ' and ban the OP?"

(everyone vote yes)
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 PM

I'm in, but the OP may not see the poll. I suspect his parents have relinquished his computer privileges for the time being.

Originally Posted by Waxima
I'm going to start a new thread with a poll:

"Should we lock the thread 'Would you sell your Maxima for . . . ' and ban the OP?"

(everyone vote yes)
Old 07-29-2011, 09:34 PM

I was a poor student 16 years ago when I got the Maxima. Now I actually have a disposable income and can thus afford more expensive cars.

In regards to used cars. . . I have the money, so why not? I like the piece of mind, longer warranty, greater selection, picking the options I want, etc. Plus it's nice to know that I'm the only one to have ever cut one in my seat.
Originally Posted by VisciousMo
It's clear you've come to gloat. It's kind of annoying, and quite unbecoming.

This guy sounds like an a$$, If he got all this money then he should swap the engine, tranny, or whatever else is wrong with it and stop *****ing about a non-existent problem.
BTW if I ever saw this guy in person I would beat his a$$ for being a snobby little ***.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:13 PM

yeah dude, i bet youd totally beat this dudes *** for making a thread on the internet.