4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 AM

rebuild?

ok so i bought my 4th gen with over 170k miles on it would you guys suggest doing a rebuild on it? either way it goes what would you say to make it run better it does have its issues such as when under a load holding brake you can feel a stutter it has just slightly there is a delay when you hit the gas before it actually starts accelerating and im sure i need a tune-up also i ran scanner and got cam, crank, and knock sensors coming up bad so i know i need those replaced and someone said knock sensor can reduce horsepower when it goes bad?

thanks for any suggestions also working with limited money atm i just started my new job so waiting for my bonuses with work and school i get 600-1200$ every 3 months from my school so thats a nice bonus to work on a car with and my next bonus is only a few weeks away and i get a 6 month bonus at work anywhere for 300-2500$ every 6 months. so any suggestions to make this car run better and faster without losing the ability to be a daily street car and ability to run in winter time is appreciated thanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 97WhMaximaGle
ok so i bought my 4th gen with over 170k miles on it would you guys suggest doing a rebuild on it? either way it goes what would you say to make it run better it does have its issues such as when under a load holding brake you can feel a stutter it has just slightly there is a delay when you hit the gas before it actually starts accelerating and im sure i need a tune-up also i ran scanner and got cam, crank, and knock sensors coming up bad so i know i need those replaced and someone said knock sensor can reduce horsepower when it goes bad?

thanks for any suggestions also working with limited money atm i just started my new job so waiting for my bonuses with work and school i get 600-1200$ every 3 months from my school so thats a nice bonus to work on a car with and my next bonus is only a few weeks away and i get a 6 month bonus at work anywhere for 300-2500$ every 6 months. so any suggestions to make this car run better and faster without losing the ability to be a daily street car and ability to run in winter time is appreciated thanks.

Yo man use punctuation! lol. One long run on sentence.

As far as your issues...

If u getting a code for crank and cam sensor, I am unsure how u are able to start up/drive the car. Either way, U will need to replace these sensors. I am going to recommend getting new sensors, but if u ballin on a budget, hit the JY for used. Jus make sure to grab a couple of each.

Clean MAF, TB per how tos. Replace ECTS, PCV, plugs, KS. Throw some chevron techron in the fuel tank.

Check the links

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...on-maxima.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...hread-yet.html

Use the SEARCH function on the org. Its a VALUABLE resource.

Welcome man. We here to help

Last edited by cashoit; 08-15-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:53 AM

would you say to use seafoam also? and whats ects sorry i'm not sure about all of the terms yet ive worked on cars for years but never did engine work just mainly suspension.

also what would i use to clean maf and tb?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM

would you say to use seafoam also? and whats ects sorry i'm not sure about all of the terms yet ive worked on cars for years but never did engine work just mainly suspension.

also what would i use to clean maf and tb?

Check the links I posted.

I have never used seafoam. I run a bottle of chevron every oil change.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 AM

Replace the can and crank sensor first. The KS code may be a ghost triggered by the iteration two. Give it a TuneUp; NGK plugs of your choice, air/fuel filters, PCV, and oil change. 170K is nothing for a VQ30. If you really worried you can do a compression test.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
Replace the can and crank sensor first. The KS code may be a ghost triggered by the iteration two. Give it a TuneUp; NGK plugs of your choice, air/fuel filters, PCV, and oil change. 170K is nothing for a VQ30. If you really worried you can do a compression test.
when i do compression test what do i want to see on results for good/excellent compression?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:57 AM

when i do compression test what do i want to see on results for good/excellent compression?
I'm at work on my phone and don't have specs. I think you want less than 20% variation and something like 140-160, but I might be very wrong.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:47 AM

First thing u should do is a full tune up then take it from there
Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 PM

If you where in Fl I would say come pick up this Vq30dek motor out of my garage for 350.00! Lol

Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 PM

get those crank cam sensors cheapest ones first then get knock sensor. when u hit the gas and it takes off slow or kinda studders i know exactly what you mean and let me tell you what will fix that. either put premium gas in their next tank or replace ur knock sensor.

our engines require premium fuel.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:46 AM

its not really that its sluggish it has plenty of get up and go and it doesnt bog down or stutter it just like you can hit gas and 2 seconds later it registers your hitting the gas (only off of a dead stop and not every time) i usually run mid grade - premium but lately i have had no choice but run low due to financial issues switching between jobs starting this new one it wont be a problem.

thanks for the advice guys anything else helps also looking for ways to beef it up a little bit with minimal money spent atm working on body setup right now before i worry about motor just because id rather have looks than speed currently untill i get out of the house im in (my dads house he gave me a place to stay while i saved up) and hes very anti-modification to motor/tranny unless it is strictly a track car lol so im looking for things he wont notice i put on the car (in other words fast installs or things that he wont notice very well when he looks under my hood) i already have cai and a dc sports muffler (planning on getting a warpspeed y-pipe and a megan racing cat back exhaust or somethin else donno pricing on them yet calling and looking around still so is there anything else (i dont care about how car sounds from exhaust and he doesnt either he knows i like my cars loud lol)
Old 08-17-2011, 08:35 PM

hey guys i was wondering i gained access to a high flow cat from a buddy that was 20$ and was told i should put it on my post cat (not pre cat) to get best gain and just hollow out my pre-cat (is this true that it would work like this and not have horrible consequences like major gas mileage lose or codes popping up?)

also the cat is 2.5" inlet and outlet so is it true i can put this on my car with just using a 2-2.5 adapter for pipe sizing? i was told the stock pipe on the 4th gen is 2"