4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Whos Interested in a Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 06:29 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by MaximaRversion2

yes , ill get you the link *digs through some stuff*
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....4&goto=newpost

there are pics, sort of ,,, just one and its not on anything ,,, but check it out
this thread is about turbo's foo. PM,s email,instant messange, and the phone work well
Old 01-01-2002, 06:30 PM
MaximaRversion2

Re: Papasmurf, a Turbo Question......

Originally posted by Craig Mack
I love the idea of turbocharging my Maxi-pad. I have 2 questions for you.

1)I heard automatics are better for turbo's off the line and there is someway you can get them spooled up while on idle and just destroy the opponent off the line if he is a 5spd with the same turbo ? Sorry I couldn't find out more but a Nissan guy told me this a while ago when we were talking about 5spd conversion and turbo's.

2)Turbo lag = No fun. Will your kit have an electronic motor power assist to spool up the turbine prior to the exhaust spooling it up ? That way the lag is like eliminated, and we could get low end power as well ?
1) Brake boosting ?? Hit the brake , rev it up and let her fly

Old 01-01-2002, 06:32 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Re: Papasmurf, a Turbo Question......

Originally posted by MaximaRversion2

1) Brake boosting ?? Hit the brake , rev it up and let her fly

You do have usefull info!

This is a special feature on automatics right ? I guess this is why he was sayin auto turbo's have advantages over 5spd turbos

Please elaberate on how this break boosting works. Would I have to launch RIGHT after I let off the break ? Share your wisdom.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:40 PM
MaximaRversion2

Re: Re: Re: Papasmurf, a Turbo Question......

Originally posted by Craig Mack

You do have usefull info!

This is a special feature on automatics right ? I guess this is why he was sayin auto turbo's have advantages over 5spd turbos

Please elaberate on how this break boosting works. Would I have to launch RIGHT after I let off the break ? Share your wisdom.
see im not super sure being that i dont have a turbo , but i figured an auto (like ours), doing a typical race launch (left foot on brake, rev to like 1500, let brake go and floor it) if you maybe rev a little higher , perhaps the turbo will start to spool up , and then when you let the brake go and hit the juice , its already moving
p.s. yes im full of usefull info ,,, ie, where to get "ruff Ryders"

Old 01-01-2002, 09:24 PM
4 Maximas and counting

$2K Turbo vs $tillen SC

Competitor? a $2K "bolt-on" turbo that offers more boost, with the option of going 20+lbs for another $1K would make it _awfully_ hard for $tillen to sell the SC.

Originally posted by 93_MaxSpeedMark
If this turbo thing goes through, it'd be a great competitor for the $tillen SC. I'd take this one over that one, caus i'm a poor HS Kid who's only got 1250 saved for forced induction and 450 for bolt-ons. High School can suck my nuts.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:53 PM

Drive $tealin' out of business They're too expensive anyways, with the money it takes to get a S/C for the max, i could buy a DSM and mod the hell out of it.....
Old 01-02-2002, 09:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

New turbos don't have the old "turbo lag" they used to be plagued with... They spool very quickly comparitively...
Old 01-02-2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by MadMax95
New turbos don't have the old "turbo lag" they used to be plagued with... They spool very quickly comparitively...
Do they just spool at a lower RPM now?

SuDZ
Old 01-02-2002, 09:42 AM

now hybrids are offered like the popular t3/t4 hybrid this offers the best of both worlds the intake side flows more air while the exhaust needs less exhaust per/unit volume of intake flow making them more efficient and spool faster
Old 01-02-2002, 09:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

Congrats pocket! What state are you in? In CA the test is offered only in April and October. Also, we don't get our scores if we pass. Oh well, I was just stoked to pass my first time (not to mention the 'spot check' for a few hundred at work and the $1 raise!) What discipline are you?
I'm in MI now, but I was in IN when I took the test. I think it was Feb (could've been Jan or March). Just graduated in May with a B.S. in EE. Got a job up here in MI in the automotive industry. Can't complain! I see stuff before alot of other people do
Old 01-02-2002, 12:06 PM

Re: Whos Interested in a Turbo Kit

Originally posted by papasmurf
Not sure on price yet but some where in the $2000 range for stage 1 and 3000$ for stage 2. If anyone is interested in just the pistons for the SC max let me know there 790 a set with rings but i think if i tell them more people are interested they might cut us a break.

Bruce
chessieone@yahoo.com

That would be great. If you can get all of this for $3K, I would be shocked. No offense

The JE pistons aren't in production right now (3.66 in) so if they can make them for $800, thats a pretty good price!

Keep us posted.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Arias (sp?) makes 9:1's for much cheeper.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:20 PM

What would you have to do if you wanted to start with a stage one then upgrade to a stage 2 eventually? Would it be very difficult?

SuDZ
Old 01-02-2002, 12:26 PM
XtremeHKS

hmm this sounds very unlikely considering that there is 2 exhaust manifolds and ones next to the firewall and you can't have just one turbo on one exhaust manifold or even if you extended the turbo manifolds on booth sides to reach the turbo the lag would be rediculous. If you were gonna do a turbo kit it would more than likely have to be TT.

Old 01-02-2002, 12:30 PM
I'm needing a caw

"""hmm this sounds very unlikely considering that there is 2 exhaust manifolds and ones next to the firewall and you can't have just one turbo on one exhaust manifold""

You can. HKS turbo a V6 Accord in this fashion.

"""or even if you extended the turbo manifolds on booth sides to reach the turbo the lag would be rediculous."""

Nope. 100% wrong assumption.

"""If you were gonna do a turbo kit it would more than likely have to be TT.""

Nope. I know of at least 3 custom turbo setups that are single turbo. I have not heard of even one TT set-up done. Why anyway?
Old 01-02-2002, 07:03 PM

Jeff

Would you happen to know how they even up backpressure if only one side is used for Turbo....smaller manifolds on the non turbo side maybe?...or larger on Turbo side?

This is certainly an interesting problem! I asked Matthel and he said that both sides feed into the Turbo. Anyway, I am very very interested in this "little" project....there are so many of these types of project going on...I am not sure which one to join!
Old 01-03-2002, 12:20 AM
I'm needing a caw

I don't know what they did. I know the project never went into production or it was very unpopular becuase I never see the kits for sale.

I can tell you this, there is alot of bs on this board on who is doing what and whatever. Just talk to Turbo95 and ask nicely(he gets questions day and night) Why him? Becuase he has actually done it and knows what's up.

Originally posted by nigelcmf
Jeff

Would you happen to know how they even up backpressure if only one side is used for Turbo....smaller manifolds on the non turbo side maybe?...or larger on Turbo side?

This is certainly an interesting problem! I asked Matthel and he said that both sides feed into the Turbo. Anyway, I am very very interested in this "little" project....there are so many of these types of project going on...I am not sure which one to join!
Old 01-03-2002, 07:41 AM

Thanks Jeff.

I think Turbo95 is Matthel....I could be wrong...
Old 01-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally posted by nigelcmf
Thanks Jeff.

I think Turbo95 is Matthel....I could be wrong...

I couldn't wait anymore. I just ordered the SC.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

I couldn't wait anymore. I just ordered the SC.

Are you going to go with a smaller pulley right away or stick with the stock pulley for awhile? I recommend that you get a smaller pulley because you will eventually want smaller and smaller pulleys.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:49 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Cumalot

Are you going to go with a smaller pulley right away or stick with the stock pulley for awhile? I recommend that you get a smaller pulley because you will eventually want smaller and smaller pulleys.
Yeah Cuma, I've thought of all that. Trust me man, I'll have another huge e-mail for you w/ a million questions. You didn't think you were off the hook, did you?
Seriously though, thanks so much for all your help. Talk to you soon.

-Josh
Old 01-04-2002, 08:21 PM
MaximaRversion2

i just got a ticket for speeding , maybe i shouldnt get a turbo .. however , with a turbo , i would have gotten away

Old 02-14-2002, 07:57 PM

turbo!!
Old 02-14-2002, 09:33 PM

2000 for a turbo...? time to start saving...
Old 02-14-2002, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by paul-e
2000 for a turbo...? time to start saving...
That is if it ends up working out though. Wait to see waht the finished product is like.

SuDZ
Old 02-16-2002, 12:39 PM

thats true
Old 02-16-2002, 03:33 PM

Just to let you guys know, Papasmurf is not tackling this project alone. I will be helping him along. I myself have performed many sucessful turbo conversions in my past. To answer a few questions: A V6 can use both manifolds to spool up the turbo. We currently have two manifold designs that we are experimenting with. We will use the most efficient and versitile design of the two. We will build the kit so that it can be upgraded in the future. Be it adding an intercooler or going to a larger turbine, the kit can be adapted. Ideally, the stage 1 kit WILL NOT come with all of that stuff, but will come with all of the necessary items needed to run it with an otherwise stock engine. We may have up to 4 stages to work with. I think that this kit will be a much better value than the Stillen SC. Just like Papasmurf said, give us some time to make the best quality, most efficient turbo kit for your Maxima.