4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WHAT IS ROBBING MY MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 AM

Might also want to check if you have sticky calipers.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 AM

246?? You're lucky for getting that. I recently had the plugs, filter, gaskets, pcv, tires, injectors and MAF changed and I'm barely getting 200. I haven't tried seafoam yet, but I will be soon.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM

What the fck are you guys hauling
Old 01-19-2012, 11:13 AM

I had a fifth wheel hitch installed in the trunk, vacation anyone
Old 01-19-2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by moNYtx
246?? You're lucky for getting that. I recently had the plugs, filter, gaskets, pcv, tires, injectors and MAF changed and I'm barely getting 200. I haven't tried seafoam yet, but I will be soon.
Might want to do a compression test.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
SLOW

I didn't read the whole thread because I'm not that dedicated.

If the engine seems to be running fine, you may have brake calipers that are sticking a bit or something goofy like that.

To really judge though, we need to know your actual MPG and driving style. Not how many miles you get to the tank because different people have different opinions on how far down they go before filling up again, and also different car's gas gauges read differently.

Also there's the fact that winter gas mileage is generally worse than spring/summer/fall gas mileage in the first place.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Metallica
Might want to do a compression test.
Will check it, but I will be doing seafoam first.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 PM

246 on close to 17 gallons, it was in the thread.

How ever, regardless of driving style and weather, under 15mpg means somethings wrong, simple as that
Old 01-19-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2brosgixxer
Chris, just to be clear, I have no cel right now and when I check the codes using the screw on the ecu, my cel flashes 5 slow and 5 fast and I think that means all Is good In max world. Correct me If Im wrong though. Power Is good, mpg I think is around 23 city but Ive been letting it Idle alot due to the weather so obviously its around 20 right now.
23mpg is good for city no?! I have to drop in some O2 sensors but I drive conservatively and I get around 21-23. my average with crappy sensors is around 19mpg with mixed driving.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:48 PM

My dad also has an auto '98 but with about 100k less miles, he regularly seems over 400 miles on a tank, makes me jealous
Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
Might also want to check if you have sticky calipers.
came to post this
Old 01-21-2012, 02:24 AM

I would dare to say if he had sticky calipers, he would notice a smell and pulling to one side or the other due to the pads constantly rubbing so IMO, thats not really a plausible option given his symptoms.

Curious though how OP's father (and others) get 400 miles on a tank.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by MikesChevelle
I put almost 17 gallons in.

My tires are fine,heavy wheels?

Yeah it's pretty cold in stl right now, but I have had this car fire many Winters and have never seen below 22 mpg.

I'm have a spare knock sensor from my dads maxima that I will throw in some time this week and see what happens.

Heavy wheels....lol
I am not sure why you are laughing.

Answering everything njmaxseltd asked would be a good place to start. However, I think a few more questions should be added to his list.

Before we go there...
Why are you entertaining all the posted guesses but you did not take seriously the one and only post that is actually troubleshooting your problem? Sure, you answered a few of his question but in a tongue and cheek manner from what I can tell. Perhaps I am reading into it and you just intentionally/unintentionally avoided his direction of thought.

That said, I would suggest you start troubleshooting the issue and stop throwing time and money at it.

Remember YOU [caps for emphasis] came here to get help - answer the questions from those 'in the know' (who are actually helping you to TS) and solve the problem OR entertain all the guessing and assume your outcome when your ignorance is assuaged.

(FWIW, "my tires are fine" is not an answer; it is a response. Tires can play a huge roll in MPG as can wheels.)
Old 01-21-2012, 05:50 AM

^^^ do you honestly think heavy wheels is gonna make him lose 8 miles to the gallon? Probably not unless they are heavy squares. There has got to be an engine/fuel problem somewhere but a lot of troubleshooting on our end will be guessing since he is not showing any codes. I think everyone on here is trying to help but is as baffled or confused by the problem as the op.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:00 AM

No where did I say or indicate in my post heavy wheels would have a "8 miles to the gallon" affect. In fact, if quite the opposite.
You are assuming he is "losing" 8mpg.
One reason everyone is baffled - there has been no productive and collaborative effort to logically eliminate possible causes.

Read my post as constructive criticism, not as a hateful post bent on bashing.

Sent from my android phone.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:13 AM

Maybe I perceived you wrong when you asked why he was laughing. Since he was laughing at the heavy wheels statement, I took that to mean that you agreed that could be his problem. I am assuming he is losing mpg, because that's what he said. He got 246 miles to 17 gallons of gas =14.4mpg. He claims he has never seen below 22mpg so there's really no assuming, just facts. I really hope he figures out his problem though cause 14mpg sucks with gas prices the wary they are.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 AM

I will restate my position so there is no confusion:
1) The responses and information given by the OP are not enough to satisfy proper troubleshooting.
2) People are offering guesses in no certain order. This is not conducive to solving an issue This 'technique' is also hard on the wallet and free time.
3) One individual (njmax...), attempted (intentional or not) to build a solid foundation so that the OP's issue could be solved. Starting 'anywhere else' is just silliness.
4) Wheels and tires CAN [caps for emphasis] have a huge affect on MPG. Commonly, tires much more than wheels.
5) Dismissing evidence or factors that do contribute to the stated problem, simply because you feel they are not relevant, is a great way to pin yourself into a wrong assumption.

Again, people are assuming there is a problem that we do not actually know exists / exists to the degree stated.

Furthermore, and more importantly, there is no point in helping someone that is willing to entertain guessing but is not willing to appropriately respond to relevant questions. Intent to me is irrelevant, if someone needs help and is willing to work with me, I am willing to help them. I am often 'taken wrong'; know the spirit of my post was not to 'flame' anyone.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:50 PM

Fill up, reset odo, drive, fill up (note gallons taken in).
Mileage/gallons taken in=MPG. Mile per tank is BS and not accurate at all.

You can bet your @$$ heavy wheels and the condition of tires will affect
MPG. Imagine 30lb 22s running 15psi in the city. Every time you leave a stop,
it takes HP, not only to move the wheels laterally, but to input the torque to spin them.
Think about it, why do people install light weight pulleys and flywheels.
furthermore, low psi will decrease your rolling radius, netting less distance traveled per revolution,as well as increase rolling resistance.

OP, unless you can answer the questions posted by njmaxseltd, and are willing to work with us by following through with logical and methodical troubleshooting, regardless of you opinion of relevance, you will be wasting every ones time.

Last edited by asand1; 01-21-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:17 PM
4th Gen Parts King

I just filled up today 15.847 gallons. Went exactly 200 miles on this tank. So that's 12.62mpg and there's nothing wrong with my car. That's just the outcome with winter blend gas,remote start, and winter tires
Old 01-21-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima_Joe
I just filled up today 15.847 gallons. Went exactly 200 miles on this tank. So that's 12.62mpg and there's nothing wrong with my car. That's just the outcome with winter blend gas,remote start, and winter tires
That's sucks man.

I have 18's, sticking rear calipers, and most other stuff is up to date. I get roughly 285 to the tank. But, that's not considering how my odo has changed reading miles as my wheel diameter has changed from stock.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
That's sucks man.

I have 18's, sticking rear calipers, and most other stuff is up to date. I get roughly 285 to the tank. But, that's not considering how my odo has changed reading miles as my wheel diameter has changed from stock.
It's no biggie I'm not complaining. I would rather get in a warm car and not have to scrap ice off my windshild then to save $10 a week.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:12 PM
SLOW

remote start is not causing your mileage to go that low, that's ridiculously low unless you are letting the car idle for 5 hours which I'm sure is not the case. i use remote start to warm the car up as well and I get 23mpg on winter gas with 50/50 city/highway.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by 2brosgixxer
I would dare to say if he had sticky calipers, he would notice a smell and pulling to one side or the other due to the pads constantly rubbing so IMO, thats not really a plausible option given his symptoms.

Curious though how OP's father (and others) get 400 miles on a tank.

not necessarily. I had a seized rear caliper on my beater and did not know about it until I went to check the air in all my tires and discovered the rear passenger wheel was very very hot (too hot to put your hand on for more than a second or two). if it's a rear caliper it's not going to pull appreciably either way, and if both rears are seized it's not going to pull at all.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
not necessarily. I had a seized rear caliper on my beater and did not know about it until I went to check the air in all my tires and discovered the rear passenger wheel was very very hot (too hot to put your hand on for more than a second or two). if it's a rear caliper it's not going to pull appreciably either way, and if both rears are seized it's not going to pull at all.
Is the pull bad? My rear wheels never get that hot. Maybe I don't have rear calipers. My car pulls but it's just cause I just lowered it and need alignment still. If my wheel dimensions got bigger, I would be actually be traveling more miles than what my odo reads.

for example, if my trip meter says I have traveled 240 miles. I've actually traveled 2xxx miles?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 PM
4th Gen Parts King

remote start is not causing your mileage to go that low, that's ridiculously low unless you are letting the car idle for 5 hours which I'm sure is not the case. i use remote start to warm the car up as well and I get 23mpg on winter gas with 50/50 city/highway.
Per tank of gas it idles for at least 5 hours lol.
Mon-Fri it idles every morning for 15-20 min. When I run and grab lunch I let it run for 5 min maybe longer if it's a real cold day. When I leave work I let it run for 10 min. So on the average winter work day it idles 30 min. I usually fill up every 2 weeks so that's 5 hours of idling just for work.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:36 AM

Interesting...the last stuck rear caliper i had stunk like hell even after only 1 mile of driving and yes, the wheel was some hot!! But I guess I was not really thinking about BOTH being stuck as far as the pull goes. Thanks for educating.

On a side, I think OP needs to start responding to some peoples advise if he really wants to fix the problem. A lot of people here trying to help, but no response from him as to if he is checking these things.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:05 AM

Wow you guys sure did argue in my absence.

I laughed at the heavy wheels comment because I have said over and over my car IS COMPLETELY STOCK.

ANYWAY. I did replace the knock sensor and am currently running a full tank + seafoam and will post back the mpg.

I am at a half tank and have driven 180 miles so it would seem promising.

and to the sticky brakes, i dont think it is that, as others have stated, would have had a pull or smell.

ha ha, heavy wheels. Not trying to be ignorant, but I would literally need 22's made of lead to see a noticeable difference, let along under 15mpg
Old 02-04-2012, 09:15 PM

Just got 314 miles on 15.2 gallons

KS is was I guess
Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM

I didn't read every post but mpg depends where you live as well, living in NYC and living in say Texas the driving conditions are diff. Traffic plays a significant part in it

Last edited by maxfever1987; 02-09-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima_Joe

Old 02-10-2012, 11:49 AM

I just got 238 last week for the first time in months.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 PM

Does it matter what year 300zx fuel filter?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by 95nissmax
Does it matter what year 300zx fuel filter?
Search it but IIRC its the '96

EDIT...I was bored and did the search for you...get the 96 TT 300zx fuel filter

Last edited by 2brosgixxer; 02-14-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 AM

Holly crap I guess I should not be complaining then about my MPG... I get anywhere between 450-480 miles per tank, 60%-70% highway driving... the rest is slow 25mph city driving... What I do with my car??? Check the tire pressure once a week, I keep it at 36psi... I run only Shell V-power from the same gas station/same gas pump... change my oil regularly, every other oil change I clean the K&N filter... just basic maintenance that's all she needs...
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
Holly crap I guess I should not be complaining then about my MPG... I get anywhere between 450-480 miles per tank, 60%-70% highway driving... the rest is slow 25mph city driving... What I do with my car??? Check the tire pressure once a week, I keep it at 36psi... I run only Shell V-power from the same gas station/same gas pump... change my oil regularly, every other oil change I clean the K&N filter... just basic maintenance that's all she needs...
Do you roll down hill the whole way
Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by MikesChevelle
Do you roll down hill the whole way
you think that's impossible
Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM

I found these specs on a '97 SE doing a quick search:

SPECIFICATIONS
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price $ 24,299 Price As Tested $ 26,417 Engine Type 3.0 Liter V6 w/SMPFI* Engine Size 182cid/2988 cc Horsepower 190 @ 5600 RPM Torque (lb-ft) 205 @ 4000 RPM Wheelbase/Width/Length 106.3"/69.7"/187.7" Transmission Four-speed automatic Curb Weight 3100 Pounds Fuel Capacity 18.5 gallons Tires (F/R) 215/55R16 Brakes (F/R) Disc/disc Drive Train Front-engine/front-wheel-drive Vehicle Type Five-passenger/four-door Domestic Content 5 percent Coefficient of Drag (Cd.) 0.32 PERFORMANCE EPA Economy, miles per gallon city/highway/average 21/28/24 0-60 MPH 7.5 seconds 1/4 Mile (E.T.) 17 seconds @ 84.5 mph Top-speed 115 mph

That top speed looks low for an SE, acceleration too. But,
at 18.5 gallons fuel capacity, and say you drive it down to
approx. 16.5 gallons, that would be between 363 miles @22MPG
and 429 miles @ 26MPG. So yah I would agree 480 miles/tank
is high. I know EPA estimates aren't exact but I also have
never gotten over 26MPG on a cross country trip with my 5-spd.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7kAQJOrgOM
Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 PM

That top speed has to be on a Cali spec with a limiter or governor on it or something. I personally have taken mine in the past up to 122mph mebbe 125 but I wasn't about to keep my eyes off the road at that point. (122 was when I let off the accelerator and coasted down back to highway speeds) It was fun, scary and it was on a very visible very clear road in dry sunny conditions. Still I do not condone such actions. It was above all, STUPID of me to do so.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Phromethius
That top speed has to be on a Cali spec with a limiter or governor on it or something. I personally have taken mine in the past up to 122mph mebbe 125 but I wasn't about to keep my eyes off the road at that point. (122 was when I let off the accelerator and coasted down back to highway speeds) It was fun, scary and it was on a very visible very clear road in dry sunny conditions. Still I do not condone such actions. It was above all, STUPID of me to do so.

he said 97 though ?

Quick Reply: WHAT IS ROBBING MY MPG