4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

something in way of ks

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 PM

something in way of ks

I was looking at a friends 99 he just brought over and i noticed some set of rods on the lower intake manifold it looks like it controls something but there is NO vi upper to speak of so i dont know what the deal is maybe this is just the way 99's came or is it cali someone enlighten me
Old 02-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like a Cali-spec 99.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 PM

I had a feeling the exhaust y pipe looked different than the usual fed spec kind of odd here in upstate new york so how much of a vi is he short or does this just control some crappy do nothing butterflies
Old 02-02-2012, 06:07 AM

Cali spec swirl valve.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by WesCTR
Cali spec swirl valve.
This.

Have fun getting to the KS lol
Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Cali Spec Swirl Valves - Take out the two screws that hold the actuator in position, move it over. Only takes an additional 2 minutes to move it out of the way for access to the KS.

Why does everybody make such a big deal over this sensor? With the right tools and some cleaver thinking, it's a 30 min. job. The key is making room to work. Remove the intake, remove the swirl valve actuator, use an extension with a swivel. Put something sticky in the socket to hold the bolt once it's lose. Reverse the process to get the new KS installed.

Simple, really...
Old 02-02-2012, 01:31 PM

I know ive done several but never on a cali spec thanks for the 2 bolt actuator info you rock its just never seen it out in ny
Old 02-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Cali Spec Swirl Valves - Take out the two screws that hold the actuator in position, move it over. Only takes an additional 2 minutes to move it out of the way for access to the KS.

Why does everybody make such a big deal over this sensor? With the right tools and some cleaver thinking, it's a 30 min. job. The key is making room to work. Remove the intake, remove the swirl valve actuator, use an extension with a swivel. Put something sticky in the socket to hold the bolt once it's lose. Reverse the process to get the new KS installed.

Simple, really...

I tried this on my friend's 99 I30. Moving the actuator as you said did enable me to finally see the KS, but wow, I ain't getting my hands in there. That's mission impossible.

I wound up taking the whole manifold off....cleaned the EGR and IACV and TB while at it. Took way longer but now his intake system is squeeky clean.

DW
Old 02-02-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
I tried this on my friend's 99 I30. Moving the actuator as you said did enable me to finally see the KS, but wow, I ain't getting my hands in there. That's mission impossible.

I wound up taking the whole manifold off....cleaned the EGR and IACV and TB while at it. Took way longer but now his intake system is squeeky clean.

DW
i feel you man. im 6'3 220lbs. my hands dont even begin to fit.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

Simple, really...
I knew you'd chime in and say that /\. LOL I keep waiting for your youtube video showing how it can be done in 30 minutes or less. Until then, I say no way. Been there done that on my 99 Ca Spec. It ain't no 30 minute job.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I knew you'd chime in and say that /\. LOL I keep waiting for your youtube video showing how it can be done in 30 minutes or less. Until then, I say no way. Been there done that on my 99 Ca Spec. It ain't no 30 minute job.
agreed i was suprised as well when i found out my 99 was cali( who knew this many made there way to ny) that swirl valve killed the posibility of getting my hands in there i used a piece of scotch tape to hold the bolt in the sensor and the tape made it hold tighter in the socket a universal joint and some extensions and it worked.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Still waiting for that youtube video.......