4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:32 PM

car won't start

on every warm start, and on random cold starts i have starting issues. sometimes it takes two or three key turns to get it started, sometimes two or three minutes, and sometimes it won't start at all. when it doesn't start, it won't crank at all. when it finally does crank it starts like normal. it is clear that the problem is not the ignition switch, as there is something going on in the engine bay. here is an audio recording:

http://soundcloud.com/reverent/car-starting

also if it's worth mentioning, at one point, when my car would absolutely not start i tried to jump it and there was still no response

attempts at fixing the problem include:
-replacing the starter solenoid
-replacing the starter
-replacing the inhibitor relay
-adding a ground to the starter
-checking the battery
-checking that the battery is sending 12V to the starter solenoid

even after all this the problem still persists; and starting is the only problem. otherwise, the car has been running perfectly fine

Last edited by Perseus; 05-24-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Got Retrofit?

It's either the ignition switch or starter.

Have you ever replaced your starter?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
It's either the ignition switch or starter.

Have you ever replaced your starter?
nope. is there any way to check if it is actually the starter?

also forgot to mention that i did have issues starting these past few weeks. i would turn the key once and nothing would happen, but two or three turns later and it would start perfectly

months ago the starting problem was a little different. turning the key, you could hear the starter rev but the engine didn't respond (characteristic of not turning the key all the way). and ofc this was solved by installing a new ignition switch and putting some duct tape in the key housing. i'm pretty confident that these aren't related
Old 02-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by Perseus

also forgot to mention that i did have issues starting these past few weeks. i would turn the key once and nothing would happen, but two or three turns later and it would start perfectly

months ago the starting problem was a little different. turning the key, you could hear the starter rev but the engine didn't respond (characteristic of not turning the key all the way). and ofc this was solved by installing a new ignition switch and putting some duct tape in the key housing. i'm pretty confident that these aren't related
I have a strong feeling your starter is shot. You can easily remove it and bring it to AutoZone for free testing.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 PM

hm alright. any recommended starter or brand that i should buy? (if it is the problem)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Got Retrofit?

hm alright. any recommended starter or brand that i should buy? (if it is the problem)
I've never had any issues with AutoZone starters. Plus, they have a lifetime warranty.

Just make sure it has the same amount of teeth as your current one.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM

closest autozone is a few thousand miles away from me lol
Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Got Retrofit?

closest autozone is a few thousand miles away from me lol
Any other auto parts stores around?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 PM

yea, turns out it's not the starter though

took it to get bench tested; ran it twice and they say it's fine. (also when i removed it the starter looked relatively clean/in good condition)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 PM

the its probably your ign switch, thats what happened to mine
Old 02-28-2012, 11:15 PM

i changed my ignition switch less than a year ago...anything that could cause it to go downhill so soon?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 PM

you can check if it is the switch remove it from the assembly and turn it with a screwdriver, i replaced mine like 3 times within 6 months so im starting to think that its the assembly
Old 02-29-2012, 12:15 AM

after putting everything back together just now the car started perfectly fine...but i'll try the ignition switch test again and see what happens

i remember reading that people who've had to change their switches several times over the course of a few months had another problem that was causing the switch to go bad. not sure if it's related to that

also read that people who have a hard time starting when it's really hot out have bad ignition switches. this might be it since my car was a furnace when it wouldn't respond to my key at all, but i guess i'll have to observe what goes on before i can make a clear correlation
Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 AM

i think that mine mess up because ima pizza driver and turn off and on my car like 30 times a day towards the end of my day it gets bad but after a while of cooling my car works fine
Old 02-29-2012, 11:54 AM

There is a clutch inhibitor switch and relay for manual trans, and P/N safety sitch and relay for auto. There are a few places to drop the start signal between the ign and starter. When you have a no-start, test the signal wire at the sterter and work your way back. Down load the FSM (search) to get a wiring diagram.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM

i'm pretty confident that the issue only occurs when it's hot(trouble starting is always in the afternoon, and it was VERY hot when it wouldn't start). could bad wiring still be the culprit? i really hope it's just the ignition switch @_@
Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 PM

similar issue happened to our i30. the switch has been going bad for a while and one time wouldn't even start the car at all. try pushing the gas pedal just for fun and see if it starts then.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 99zx2
try pushing the gas pedal just for fun and see if it starts then.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:17 PM

forgot to mention that i was paying more attention to it, and there is a click when i turn the key and it doesn't start. i did a little reading and apparently this means that it isn't the ignition switch

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...hing-else.html <this thread reports a similar scenario to my own, and it was solved by replacing the inhibitor relay. how can i see if that's the problem in my case?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 PM

asand mentioned that in post 15
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Number-Four
asand mentioned that in post 15
i still need to be shown how to test it though lol
Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 AM

Have you checked your connections? If you are hearing the click of the solenoid then it is not your switch. I had the same problem and ended up being bad connection at the battery.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:12 AM

i still need to be shown how to test it though lol

Yo man,

Chrisman and ASAND1 already pointed you in the right direction. If the starter is good, then there is a problem with the starting circuit.

If you cant test/check the starting circuit yourself then try to have an orger help u or take it to a mech and have them check it.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 AM

Also, if you hear the solenoid click then it is not the relay either. You need a multimeter and s friend to help. If you have someone try to start the car while you listen under the hood to see where the click comes from. With multimeter you can check voltage at the solinoid switch harness, that will let you know if the inhibitor/interlock relay is working. If so then test voltage on the positive side of the starter solenoid.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Yo man,

Chrisman and ASAND1 already pointed you in the right direction. If the starter is good, then there is a problem with the starting circuit.

If you cant test/check the starting circuit yourself then try to have an orger help u or take it to a mech and have them check it.
lol yea i know what to check, but i don't know how to check it (actually recognizing the part and diagnosing it) i think dark gave instructions on how but if someone could clarify, that would be nice sorry but i'm not experienced; just learning as i go
Old 03-04-2012, 06:05 AM

I checked that relay by taking the starter solenoid harness, the one you had to unplug to take the starter off. The side coming from the car you will use for ppsitive on multi meter and of course ground somewhere. Get someone to tru to start the car. If you get power to it then your relay is working. Try that and report back.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 PM

It's not clear what you mean by the duct tape fix. If you turn the key all the way and the dash lights light up but the starter doesn't turn, that could be a symptom of the ignition switch not turning all the way over to the starter contact. When I had this problem, often it would do that and then start after a few tries. My problem was the ignition slop, where there's too much play between the flange in the ignition cylinder and the slot in the ignition switch. I fixed that with electrical tape (and most recently a piece of a coke can), but some people have used duct tape. If the starter turns but doesn't catch, that's not a symptom of not turning the key all the way--if the starter turns, contact is being made in the ignition switch, and your problem is somewhere else, and could well be the slop problem. (I suppose it could be that not enough voltage is getting through the ignition switch, but I don't think that's very common.)

Take the ignition switch out of the housing and try starting it using a screwdriver. If it works every time, you probably have the slop issue. A new ignition switch won't fix it, you need to put a shim in the slot in the switch.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:43 PM

try jiggling the key when its in the start position and see what it does. on my 98 it usualy took 2 or 3 turns of the switch to get it to work when it was going out. usualy could hold it foward and then wiggle it to make it work until it finally went all the way out. bought a whole assembly from oreilly and replaced the thing. no problems since.
usually that clickin noise is the starter. find where the noise comes from and that's probably where the problem is.

Last edited by ADROX; 03-07-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:20 AM

lol yea i know what to check, but i don't know how to check it (actually recognizing the part and diagnosing it) i think dark gave instructions on how but if someone could clarify, that would be nice sorry but i'm not experienced; just learning as i go

you will need the elecrical diagrams from the FSM to properly diagnos. PM if u need the FSM
Old 03-10-2012, 03:31 PM

sorry for responding so late but i had other priorities to take care of this past week

anyways no it's not the issue with too much leeway in the key housing; that is the problem that i fixed months ago. also, with that issue you could start the car after a few key turns, but with this sometimes you can't start it for 10 minutes - and jiggling doesn't make a difference

dark - thanks. i tested it out and the solenoid is giving a signal

and an update on the issue: the issue is at its worst when the engine bay is hot, but it has occurred on cold starts as well

Last edited by Perseus; 03-10-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:18 PM

when you try and start your car and nothing happens,did you try switching to N instead of P and starting it?
Old 03-10-2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
when you try and start your car and nothing happens,did you try switching to N instead of P and starting it?
just tried that and there's nothing different
Old 03-10-2012, 04:52 PM

okay well that rules out N/S switch
Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM

if it helps at all, here's a recording of the engine bay when trying to start the car. i give it 3 full turns before it finally starts on the last turn

http://soundcloud.com/reverent/car-starting
Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 AM

Did you clean and tighten all of your battery/ground connections? And have you added a ground to the starter?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 AM

did you ever try starting it with the lights on? if the lights go out when the click occurs its a bad conection/cable.
and when you say the problem only occurs when it's hot do you mean outside temperature or the engine itself being hot? the engine bay heat could affect the starter which won't show up at the local dealers testing machine.

Last edited by ADROX; 03-11-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by darkside_supaman
Did you clean and tighten all of your battery/ground connections? And have you added a ground to the starter?
yes. and...i don't think so?

Originally Posted by ADROX
did you ever try starting it with the lights on? if the lights go out when the click occurs its a bad conection/cable.
and when you say the problem only occurs when it's hot do you mean outside temperature or the engine itself being hot? the engine bay heat could affect the starter which won't show up at the local dealers testing machine.
just tried that and the lights stayed on. it's at its worst when the engine bay is hot
Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Sounds like a bad starter solenoid.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima_Joe
Sounds like a bad starter solenoid.
took a gamble and bought the last solenoid at the shop. installed it and it still won't start on the first try, but it does start much sooner. HUGE improvement from this morning but it's still not perfect...

Last edited by Perseus; 03-11-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:43 PM

starter itself?

Quick Reply: car won't start