4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ok, anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Ok, anyone else have this problem?

Obviously My patience is being tested and that Is NOT a good idea. I have pulled the motor twice now because of my refusal to work in an area of only 3/4 of an inch to replace the chain assembly and tensioners. I have replaced the timing chain twice now and for some stupid "blankety blank" reason the the left head chain tensioner starts to clatter away, Btw the front head facing the radiator. I have checked for oil pressure and she is fine. I am sick of this, these "blankety blank" kits are NOT cheap so WTF? I can understand one bad tensioner, but NOT two in a row. Napa part# 9-4207sx. As I said earlier on I am a perfectionist and I do not accept less than. The idiot light is off and she registers full on the dipstick. Thoughts? You know I just had a brain fart I had to replace the aluminum part of the oil pan due to some Jackwagon with a tube of Jb weld. I replaced the o-rings sealing the pan to the block would it be possible if one crapped out It would explain the the tensioner starting to clatter as she warms up? Ideas?

Last edited by 89newporker; 03-26-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 PM

Is the chatter right after you do the repair? or later on down the line... PLEASE tell me its not right after you do the repair and this is months down the road and at least a couple thousand miles...
Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 PM

The first tensioner was immediate right after repair. 2nd was 300 miles of driving still trying to break in the motor. My patience is at its end believe me
Old 03-26-2012, 08:51 PM

Ok, well from my experience the tensioner will chatter right after install. When I helped a fellow .orger fix his timing after his motor swap we had the chatter issue too. But since we took it apart and saw how it worked we realized that the tension is created by hydraulic pressure from the oil flow. If your experience went much like ours, the tensioner was doing absolutely nothing on first start up because we released the oil behind the pin. It took a little bit of run time and some steady revs to get the fluid around to it and build the pressure.

Im unsure why the one chattered after a few hundred miles but hopefully that little bit helps. The other two guides are just that, guides. Only the one with the small pin does anything worth while, and if you mess it up before putting it in, or for some odd reason it cant build pressure to do its job then its a paperweight.

Does the chatter lessen with RPM or extended drive time? I think if its constant, you have something else wrong... Also, did you remove the entire timing cover to do the job or just the access panel?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 PM

PULLED the motor to fix it, twice. I understand the the initial clatter right after start-up but whence oil reaches her she is nice and quiet. Noise comes in as she reaches operating temp. Not my first go around with this because I dont spend money to have her make noise this is Blankety Blank Blank Blank. Yes the noise does get better with revs yet it should not immediately return. I will go redneck If I have to pull the motor a third time. I am just at a loss, I know what a chain tensioner is and how it works as well as the guides once they fill with oil they should be good to go. Obviously there is something wrong because for some weird reason the tensioner is NOT holding oil pressure. the primary chain tensioner is silent as is the rear cylinder head tensioner why the front one? These cars have three chain tensioners one for the long chain and one for each of the secondary chains. it is the short secondary chain tensioner making all the noise and in order to replace it you have to remove the entire cover. oil is clean with no muss no fuss. Btw thanks for trying to help give ideas

Last edited by 89newporker; 03-26-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your either not getting oil up to the tensioner or the tensioner isn't holding pressure.
Stop replacing the part itself and find out what's causing it not to pressurize.
Are all oil passages open? Sounds like a bit more has to be torn down to figure this out.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 AM

Shes getting oil, I can see it in the valve train and the first tensioner was covered in oil after replacement. The only thing I can think of is a weak oil pump... the second tensioner which is still in is also covered in oil that tells me she oil, Maybe not enough?
when I tore i down the first time I double checked to make sure everything was clean and free
Old 03-31-2012, 09:19 PM

Found the problem Ran a test of oil pressure and she reading a low 6 psi at idle WAY too low... ordered a new one and thankfully tensioners have quieted down and no damage has been done...
Old 03-31-2012, 10:39 PM

so it was the oil pump?
How many miles did you have?

I'm just curious....
Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by hurddawg
so it was the oil pump?
How many miles did you have?

I'm just curious....

I would like to know too becuase I thought updating my tensioner and guide will correct it but I am slightly starting to hear it start back again. If its the oil pump, I would like to know for when I do my second max.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:37 PM

Confirmation on this please. Thanks