Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Warning: When changing front suspension! (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/647697-warning-when-changing-front-suspension.html)

nab911 04-01-2012 09:25 AM

Warning: When changing front suspension!

Finally got around to putting in my new shocks and springs and after we got everything all wrapped up, started the car and put it in reverse and something was wrong. Heard a weird noise and when I put it back in park there was a metal "crunching" noise.

Come to find out, when we pulled off the driver's side shock, the steering knuckle hung down so low it pulled the cv axel out. Tore the boot and everything. Had to get a new boot, pull the axel out from the knuckle and get it set back straight so we could reinsert the shaft. AFTER all that everything was fine but added about another 5 hours on the job.

SO, to conclude, support the rotor assembly when changing shocks!!

ShocknAwe 04-01-2012 09:31 AM

lol yea a bunjee cord is your friend

beegeezy 04-01-2012 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe (Post 8420732)
lol yea a bunjee cord is your friend

:sprint:

Yep, bungee cord hooked to the strut tower FTW.

MAXIMA_STYLE 04-01-2012 09:44 AM

hahaha ive seen people do this so many times....rookie mistake... safety wire is your friend

nab911 04-01-2012 10:13 AM

I read through quite a few guides and it was never mentioned so just throwing it up there for everyone else as a warning :). Luckily just some time and a $20 cv boot.

Stoneyburt 04-01-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by nab911 (Post 8420721)
Finally got around to putting in my new shocks and springs and after we got everything all wrapped up, started the car and put it in reverse and something was wrong. Heard a weird noise and when I put it back in park there was a metal "crunching" noise.

Come to find out, when we pulled off the driver's side shock, the steering knuckle hung down so low it pulled the cv axel out. Tore the boot and everything. Had to get a new boot, pull the axel out from the knuckle and get it set back straight so we could reinsert the shaft. AFTER all that everything was fine but added about another 5 hours on the job.

SO, to conclude, support the rotor assembly when changing shocks!!

Wow... I thought I was the only one this happened too. It wasn't funny at all when it happened as it added an extra amount of time to the install. Ohh well lesson learned.

NABU6 04-01-2012 04:56 PM

Another solution is to use a jack to support the control arm while removing the shock.

cashoit 04-02-2012 06:26 AM

does the haynes or FSM mention supporting the hub when doing struts install??

jholley 04-02-2012 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by NABU6 (Post 8421066)
Another solution is to use a jack to support the control arm while removing the shock.

:sprint:

I raised the LCAs when replacing front struts 2 years ago.

WendysMaxima 04-02-2012 10:51 AM

Happened to me, didn't tear the boot or nothin' but the axle popped out, mine was on passenger side though. sure was a pain. I had to do mine alone too. Good thing I can push the control arm down with one leg, and arrange the steering knuckle and the bolts that hold it in at the same time! :D

Dsquared97maxse 04-02-2012 11:14 AM

i got lucky doing mine, i caught it just in time. i like the jack idea i didnt think of that i just used string lol

kel456 04-03-2012 12:13 PM

will need to do this soon. my question is how did you screw tighten anything back if it did not aligned?

vilmaxima 04-03-2012 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by WendysMaxima (Post 8421854)
Happened to me, didn't tear the boot or nothin' but the axle popped out, mine was on passenger side though. sure was a pain. I had to do mine alone too. Good thing I can push the control arm down with one leg, and arrange the steering knuckle and the bolts that hold it in at the same time! :D

Lol, same happened to me first time on passenger side, boot did not rip, was able to somehow get the cv joint back together by myself with the boot still on. It took some time tho.

WendysMaxima 04-03-2012 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by vilmaxima (Post 8423411)
Lol, same happened to me first time on passenger side, boot did not rip, was able to somehow get the cv joint back together by myself with the boot still on. It took some time tho.

I bet it was a whole lot of bad words and jamming the damn thing in. Then you get that sense of victory when all the teeth line up and they go in. Quality.

99SE-L5SPEED 04-03-2012 03:43 PM

me to help my cuz and his came out driver side

vilmaxima 04-03-2012 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by WendysMaxima (Post 8423443)
I bet it was a whole lot of bad words and jamming the damn thing in. Then you get that sense of victory when all the teeth line up and they go in. Quality.

Exactly, then celebrate with a few beers(after!!! not while working, since it will slow down the process and might cause slight confusion, LOL)

xtremepb0 04-03-2012 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by NABU6 (Post 8421066)

THIS.... plus if your doing coilovers and going lower you need to push the whole thing up to get the steering knuckle to line up with the new suspension.

GGENIUS 04-03-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by vilmaxima (Post 8423460)
Exactly, then celebrate with a few beers(after!!! not while working, since it will slow down the process and might cause slight confusion, LOL)

i dunno about you, but i always include alcohol with my off the clock vehicle projects.