4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1 Fan Went out. Do I need to replace entire, fan assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 03:25 PM

1 Fan Went out. Do I need to replace entire, fan assembly?

Went in for an A/C recharge today and noticed one of the fans wasn't working. Was quoted $195 to replace the fan assembly.

I assume that I will need to replace the entire assembly. But I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and was there a way you fixed it without replacing the entire thing?

I saw an assembly for $113 on autopartswarehouse
Ohh wow just checked ebay. They have em for like $70 incl shipping

Also, I have no idea how long this car has been driving with just one fan working since I only found out about it today, and I bought the car 2 months ago. And given that the last owner didn't quite take care of the car all that well I assume its been like this for a while now.

What kind of problems can I experience with just 1 fan working?

Last edited by SPER; 05-15-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:00 PM

You can buy a used assemble from a JY for $70 or shop the classifieds on here and get it and swap out the defective fan.

If you want to get technical, buy the replacement motor and transfer over fan blade and you should be good to go....your preference.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check the classified section on the forum, you can probably get a used motor cheap.
As far as problems go,
Overheating in stop and go traffic on really hot days.
Insufficient air conditioner operation, especially in stop and go traffic do to lack of air flow across the condenser.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Just the tip.

No rush. Ive been running on just the one AC fan for almost a year now. No overheating problems. I just have to run my AC all the time.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 PM

just replace the fan/motor thats out. Thats what i did.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Just the tip.

What else is there to check if its not the fan motor or the relay? This thread got me motivated to look into it. I just replaced both of those on mine and it still wont come on.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
What else is there to check if its not the fan motor or the relay? This thread got me motivated to look into it. I just replaced both of those on mine and it still wont come on.
From the point of parts replacement, there aren't any additional things other than what you have mentioned. The 2 fans are wired to work in parallel, i.e., one control signal runs both fans. There is 1 exception to this statement.

fuses - there are 2 of them - one fuse powers the low speed on both fans, the other powers the high speed on both fans.

ECU - one pin (#14) for low speed on both motors, another pin (#13) for high speed on both motors.

Relays - there are 3 of them. Fan Relay 1 switches power to the low speed windings on both motors. Fan Relay 2 & Fan Relay 3 are the exception to the one control/both motors. Each fan motor has its own relay for high speed. These relays switch both power AND ground to the high speed winding.

Since you replaced the fan motor and the relay, I will assume that that both parts are good. I will also assume that the non-working fan does not run at either low or high speed. I don't know which relay you replaced, but since one fan works, it doesn't matter.

That leaves the wiring. The way I see it, you would have to have at least 2 broken wires of the 4 that go to a fan, 1 wire for each speed.

However, I would double check the parts. First jumper power and ground to the motor to make sure it does work. Then see if you have 12 volts in the wire harness to power the windings. Then it becomes a matter of checking wire integrity/continuity. Since it is only one fan that doesn't work, I would start at the non-working fan and follow the harness back for damage.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:39 PM

Hmm I think I might just try and swap out the whole assembly with my old non working maxima in my apartment complex. I would have to do it quickly though, I've read that you can take out the assembly without removing the radiator, if thats true. About how long would that take?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM

Undo both top 10mm bolts that connect the shroud to the rad, then unlatch the trans hose going into the rad that sits on the shroud at the bottom so it doesn't flop around, disconnect both the electrical connections, and presto. Slide through the left-handside (looking at the front of the car) and if it helps, push the top rad hose away from the shroud if it gets stuck.

Also, at the junkyard it's about $27 (at least it is over here in Cali) for the motors. I was given the option of the entire setup, fans, shroud and blades for $56 without warranty. Good luck on picking one up if there are any pick a parts or junkyards over there!