4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1997 speaker questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1997 speaker questions.

I tried to get specific answers on specific questions and was drug through the brambles of 4 generations of Nissans.

Here's my specific questions: The system is a non-Bose with a '98 radio OEM radio. What size speakers are in the door(s) of my 1997 Maxima SE? What is the maximum depth I can replace them with (window interference)? If I'm forced to use spacers to raise replacement speakers, is there room under the stock speaker grills to accomodate the raised speakers? What size speakers are in the rear deck? Are there wiring issues regarding +/- polarity (wire colors)? How do the front door speaker grilles come off?

I hope some one out there can answer these questions in a fashion that doesn't drag me back into the morass of other issues not related to my needs.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 AM

You need 6 1/4 inch round speakers for the doors and rear deck. ALL SPEAKERS require proper polarity - automotive, home, computer, iphone.

You will have to remove the trim panel off of the door to get to the speaker. The speaker grill is attached to the trim panel from the back side.

For other questions, Maxima.org has an audio & electronics thread. Read & search to your heart's content.

http://forums.maxima.org/audio-electronics-21/
Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 AM

i used 6 1/2 inch speakers with out any problems, and the door speaker covers come off from the inside, you have to take the door panel off,
Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 PM

You can cut a spacer ring to make up for any clearance issues of 3/4" MDF and not run into any problems bumping into the door grill. In fact, that's actually better than just mounting to the sheet metal, but I won't get into that here. If you do though, treat the wood with something (fiberglass, bedliner, paint, glue, whatever) so it doesn't swell if it gets wet.

As for polarity, as said, yes, all must be in correct phase. Cut the wires with the plug still attached to the speaker and put a 9V battery to the wires leadin to the speaker. If the speaker pushes outwards, the wire connected to the + is positive. If it pulls inwards, the wire connected to the + is negative. Repeat for all door speakers to maintain polarity.

Of course, it's not going to matter with the Dual speakers I'm willing to bet you're about to install. Or maybe you stepped up your game and got the entry level Pioneers... ooooh.... ;-)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by 13r1an

Of course, it's not going to matter with the Dual speakers I'm willing to bet you're about to install. Or maybe you stepped up your game and got the entry level Pioneers... ooooh.... ;-)
if i can buy it at walmart than its not for me lol
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM

OOOPS! I stepped in it in my other post. I said 6 1/4 inch speakers when I should have said 6 1/2 inch. Sorry. I gotta proof read better.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:52 AM

All 4th gens use 6.5" speakers front and rear.

U dont have to modify the speakers or car in any way for install.

Just remove the old ones and install the new ones.

To remove the fronts, u have to pull the entire door trim off. Be careful with the inside door handles. They are clipped on at the 12 oclock and 6 oclock positions. Use a flathead to unclip the door handle.

For the rears, the rear pillars are also clipped on. Pry carefully at the clips or u will break the pillars.