4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Corner light (electrical problems)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Corner light (electrical problems)

Hi All,

Just bought a 4th gen for my son a few weeks ago and I have a problem I can't figure out and thought you guys might be able to help.

When we got the car, the right corner light wasn't working at all. The left corner light would come on when the park lights were turned on and stay on when the headlights were turned on. I tested the right side corner light socket with my meter and it didn't read "0" voltage when the light were turned on. the yellow lights below the headlights and corner lights would come on as well.

So I removed the left side corner light to check the voltage at the socket to see what it should read. It read 12 volts at first then when I tried to recheck the voltage at the 2 spots at the bottom of the socket, I touched the side of the socket and it sparked and the yellow light below it went out.

So, when I put the left bulb back into the socket, it was no longer working and neither was the right side corner light. Well, I put both corner light housings back in place. Now the right corner light will come on only when the right turn signal is turned on and the left corner is still now working and the yellow turn signal lights only come on when you turn them on.

I've run out of ideas to try, do you guys have any ideas I can try to get this problem fixed? Also, if someone can tell me or point me in the right direction to find out when each of these lights should be on?

Sorry for the long post guys.

Bimmerdad

95 Maxima, 145000 miles
Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 PM

you probably shorted out the parking lamp fuse. Check and replace if necessary.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

@amerikaner83, I forgot to mention that I checked most of the fuses i thought would be a problem and all of those seemed fine. I can recheck again though.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 PM

check the parking lamp fuse.

Pull it out and look at it, or better yet measure across it with a multi-meter set to measure OHMS. Should read 0 (not OL, which is for Open-Loop, infitinte resistance). If it measures 0 then the fuse is good. If OL or anything in the K-MegOHM range, the fuse is blown.

It read 12 volts at first then when I tried to recheck the voltage at the 2 spots at the bottom of the socket, I touched the side of the socket and it sparked and the yellow light below it went out.
THIS right there tells me you blew the fuse.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:43 PM

Here is a pic with what light should be on and when PROVIDED EVERYTHING WITH THE LIGHTING IS STOCK.

1. Make sure both fillaments are working in your corner light bulbs and that the connection of the bulb into the socket is secure.
2. Also, make sure you have 2 "nubs" on each of the corner light bulbs.

All of the lights (except the blinkers which obviously only come on when you are signaling) will stay on with the headlights. Like i said, the corner lights should also get brighter when you turn the blinker on.

Nevermind the sneakers beside the wheel, it was for a game on here

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
check the parking lamp fuse.

THIS right there tells me you blew the fuse.
This guy knows his electricity...check the fuses again too and let us know.

Name:  IMAG1107-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  309.6 KB

Last edited by 2brosgixxer; 05-31-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just getting around to checking for the parking lamp fuse. I looked under the dash and under the hood but, I don't see a fuse labeled "parking lamp". could someone please tell me where I should look to find it?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by bimmerdad
Just getting around to checking for the parking lamp fuse. I looked under the dash and under the hood but, I don't see a fuse labeled "parking lamp". could someone please tell me where I should look to find it?

Thanks
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxim...ights-out.html

^^^^Post #4. Look in the fuses near the battery. Let us know how you make out.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2brosgixxer

Nice picture...although...The clearance lights afaik are a dual filament bulb, but only the dimmer filament has a wire lead going to it. Therefore, the bulb will not get brighter when the turn signal is on. The second filament is basically just wasted. *Unless you do the mod.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay, The #5 fuse under the steering column WAS blown. It was labeled "Tail..L". Replaced it and all the lights are working again except the right corner light, which was the original problem I was having. I checked again and the bulb is good.

So i'm but to square one, any ideas one why the corner light on just one side not work even thought the bulb is good. (I also so it work before I blew the fuse.)

I wold post a photo I just took of it but can't find a way to post the photo to the thread, can anyone help me with that as well?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Reallyslowrio
Nice picture...although...The clearance lights afaik are a dual filament bulb, but only the dimmer filament has a wire lead going to it. Therefore, the bulb will not get brighter when the turn signal is on. The second filament is basically just wasted. *Unless you do the mod.
Yeah, I have "the mod" lol. But I could have sworn they got brighter before with the blinker. Guess I was wrong

Originally Posted by bimmerdad
Okay, The #5 fuse under the steering column WAS blown. It was labeled "Tail..L". Replaced it and all the lights are working again except the right corner light, which was the original problem I was having. I checked again and the bulb is good.

So i'm but to square one, any ideas one why the corner light on just one side not work even thought the bulb is good. (I also so it work before I blew the fuse.)

I wold post a photo I just took of it but can't find a way to post the photo to the thread, can anyone help me with that as well?

Thanks
I'm at a loss with your lighting problem. follow the wires from the bulb and make sure none of them are grounding out on anything. Maybe you have a slit in the coating on the wire which hits metal, grounds and pops the fuse. It definitely sounds like it is shorting out somewhere which is why the fuse would pop. But see my Sig for a link to "how to post pics"

Last edited by 2brosgixxer; 06-03-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 PM

the fuse popped because when he was testing it he shorted it. The fuse did not pop on its own, and will not pop again (since he knows what NOT to do :P )

You know the bulb is good, so now check your wiring. Inspect the harness and the connections. Frayed or kinked wires can produce intermittent connection, if they produce anything at all.

and to post photos:

http://forums.maxima.org/feedback-su...s-replies.html

^ link in 2brosgixxer's sig
Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lights turned on to first click.

Lights turned to 2nd click

In case that didn't work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmgoods...7630038085234/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmgoods...7630038085234/

Last edited by bimmerdad; 06-03-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 PM

Old 06-03-2012, 08:12 PM

thanks rio - ya beat me to it!

Looks like there's something wrong with that specific housing somewhere. You can swap bulbs right now and get the same result, yes?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:19 PM

On a side note...I had a similar problem with my girlfriend's Trailblazer. Turns out, the wires were loose at the connector itself. When I would grab the connector to test it, the wire would make contact and work correctly, but when I would screw the bulb in, the wire would work itself loose.

Good luck man.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's correct.

thanks rio - ya beat me to it!

Looks like there's something wrong with that specific housing somewhere. You can swap bulbs right now and get the same result, yes?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just came in from checking the connector, I pulled and wiggled it but, the light didn't try to come on at all. I may go out there now and push "IN" on the wires to see if that works.

Originally Posted by Reallyslowrio
On a side note...I had a similar problem with my girlfriend's Trailblazer. Turns out, the wires were loose at the connector itself. When I would grab the connector to test it, the wire would make contact and work correctly, but when I would screw the bulb in, the wire would work itself loose.

Good luck man.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:04 PM

the fuse popped because when he was testing it he shorted it.
You sir are correct...I forgot about that part. I suffer from CRS :Laugh: