4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

new engine put in and 3 codes, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:06 PM

new engine put in and 3 codes, need help

so i got a engine put in from a shop and i have 3 codes that I've never had before 1302- p1105 manifold absolute pressure switch, 0807- p0443 evap canister purge control valve/solenoid valve, 1005- p1400 egrc solenoid valve. where should i start first, are they related, and should the shop that installed the engine be taking care of these. i took the car back days after and told them about the check engine light and they said they would take care of it, so i manually checked the codes and printed them out and went down to the shop. the guy there said these codes had nothing to do with the installed engine but he said to bring the car on Saturday and he could look at it. i need these fixed no matter where because my smog is due in about 3 weeks. any help is appreciated
Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2THEMAX98
so i got a engine put in from a shop and i have 3 codes that I've never had before 1302- p1105 manifold absolute pressure switch, 0807- p0443 evap canister purge control valve/solenoid valve, 1005- p1400 egrc solenoid valve. where should i start first, are they related, and should the shop that installed the engine be taking care of these. i took the car back days after and told them about the check engine light and they said they would take care of it, so i manually checked the codes and printed them out and went down to the shop. the guy there said these codes had nothing to do with the installed engine but he said to bring the car on Saturday and he could look at it. i need these fixed no matter where because my smog is due in about 3 weeks. any help is appreciated
Well its hard to say whose at fault here. Depends on who supplied the engine. if you supplied the engine and the shop just installed it, they could be at fault because they may have accidentally broken those sensors while installing the engine, or they may have already been broken before the engine was even installed, in which case you are on your own. However if the shop supplied the engine they are at fault and should replace any parts that were broken when the engine was installed, if they promised you a fully functional engine. You need to give us more details here.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 PM

by the way, if worst comes to worst, all of these are pretty easy to install on your won with some basic tools. just be glad that they didnt **** anything else up.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Timm80
Well its hard to say whose at fault here. Depends on who supplied the engine. if you supplied the engine and the shop just installed it, they could be at fault because they may have accidentally broken those sensors while installing the engine, or they may have already been broken before the engine was even installed, in which case you are on your own. However if the shop supplied the engine they are at fault and should replace any parts that were broken when the engine was installed, if they promised you a fully functional engine. You need to give us more details here.
They supplied the engine, came with a 2 year warranty. I already spent 1400 so I didn't want to buy any more parts. When I took the car in, they just said these codes have nothing to do with the engine they installed. I'm going to take it back and tell them to look at it when the owner is there.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 AM

What year is your car and what year is the engine? Different years have different emissions stuff. So, let's say you got 96 Maxima and you put 95 VQ30. They have different emissions equipment and the 96 ECU will look for it and when it does not find it your check engine light will come on and you will never pass emissions. In that case you need ECU that matches the engine and of course tranny (manual/auto). If the shop put it in they should know these things are take care of it. So they are saying that all this emission stuff is not their responsibility and it did not come with the engine? Maybe emissions stuff is part of the interior (sarcastic). Take the car back and ask them to fix their mess. Hope this helps
Old 06-14-2012, 03:39 AM

My car is a 96, I'm not 100% sure what year engine they installed but I would assume they installed the same one. I'll find out when I take the car back. The guy I spoke to said they re used all my parts so if anything was wrong it was my old parts. I'm going to tell them to fix it regardless. I think it would be a lot better if someone was with me that knows a maxima engine because when they explain things to me, it seems as if they just make things up
Old 06-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by tosheto
What year is your car and what year is the engine? Different years have different emissions stuff. So, let's say you got 96 Maxima and you put 95 VQ30. They have different emissions equipment and the 96 ECU will look for it and when it does not find it your check engine light will come on and you will never pass emissions. In that case you need ECU that matches the engine and of course tranny (manual/auto). If the shop put it in they should know these things are take care of it. So they are saying that all this emission stuff is not their responsibility and it did not come with the engine? Maybe emissions stuff is part of the interior (sarcastic). Take the car back and ask them to fix their mess. Hope this helps
Exactly, and I'm betting this is the issue.

Originally Posted by 2THEMAX98
My car is a 96, I'm not 100% sure what year engine they installed but I would assume they installed the same one. I'll find out when I take the car back. The guy I spoke to said they re used all my parts so if anything was wrong it was my old parts. I'm going to tell them to fix it regardless. I think it would be a lot better if someone was with me that knows a maxima engine because when they explain things to me, it seems as if they just make things up
I'm sure they used all your all parts such as starter, alternator and etc. but I'm betting they left the top end alone and simply swapped complete engines. Have you inspected everything to see if certain items look different then before? Also make sure there are no unplugged connectors.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 06-14-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by tosheto
Good point, definitely check what year engine and emissions equipment they installed in your car. If possible have the shop reinstall the emissions equipment from your old engine back into your car. It is also possible that when they installed the wiring for your emissions equipment that they could have broken some of the wires, they get very brittle when they get older and break when moved around a lot. Either way, the shop is definitely responsible to solve the problem since you have the 2 year warranty.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:26 PM

seriously make them fix it regardless of what they say. to a shop, the customer is always right. they WILL fix what theyre responsible for.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
seriously make them fix it regardless of what they say. to a shop, the customer is always right. they WILL fix what theyre responsible for.
Man you guys are lucky in NJ haha. Here in Chicago the customer is always wrong. Almost every shop around here, once they get your money, your chopped liver to them. They don't care if they installed it wrong, they always find a way to blame it on someone else. Make sure and give em hell for that install they did, anything installed by them (which definitely includes the emissions controls) is they're responsibility to make sure its working properly.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 AM

Double check the vacuum lines. All three codes are related.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:35 AM

Thanks guys for all the help, I took the car down there on Saturday and they didn't get anything done. They said they fixed the oil leak but I doubt that and the owner said they were so busy , they forgot to check the codes. So he told me to bring it on Monday and he'll take care of it, total waste of a day but hopefully he can fix it Monday.. I'll have them check the vacuum lines first. Anything else I should tell him? Besides is the engine the same year and to fix it lol. Thanks again everyone