4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New AC Compressor...now nothing!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:47 AM
1997 Nissan Maxima SE

New AC Compressor...now nothing!

Hey guys, hoping some one could point me in the right direction?
First my story: I recently had a garage change my AC compressor on my 1997 maxima SE due to a noisy bearing. My Ac worked fine up to this point. After having a re manufactured compressor, clutch and labor to the tune of $600.00 now my Ac does not work at all. I have had my car back to the garage 3 times and to another 1. No body seems to have a clue what is going on with my AC. I am told that when they operate the climate control that there is power all the way down to the compressor. Also I have been told that the compressor was jumpered just to make sure the compressor would kick in and it did. I haven't had a chance to do any searching myself for the problem, and I did just finish downloading the FSM. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 AM

Stupid ??? But is there enough a134 In the system. Compressor supposedly will not run if its low on 134. Also make sure no fuses are blown and the compressor is connected to the alternator. I believe there is a plug from the compressor that connects up to the alternator. Try wiggling that wiring they might have broken that.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 AM

you shouldnt have to do anything to fix this. the shop that put the compressor in should continue until they fix your problem that wasnt there before you brought it to them. give them hell.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 AM
1997 Nissan Maxima SE

As far as the freon level being that I had it back at the garage a total of 4 times they have assured me that the freon level is where it's suppose to be. I will be putting my gauges on to double check this! Also I understand that I shouldn't have to do anything but have the garage fix this problem. It is a matter of great inconvenience for me having just a single car. I knew I should have done this project on my own, but due to all the hours I have been working I could not find the time. Just a note: The first garage that did the work was a small town garage that I should have used my better judgement, but the second garage was a very well reputation garage that have many certified mechanics. If I don't find the time to search this problem out I'm afraid it's a trip to the dealership $$$!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
you shouldnt have to do anything to fix this. the shop that put the compressor in should continue until they fix your problem that wasnt there before you brought it to them. give them hell.

Let the shop figure it out. That's why you paid them instead of doing it yourself.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 AM

Once my AC Compressor stops working, I'm taking it off. Weight Reduction Ftw!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:56 AM

okay so did you check any of the things you were told to? fuses and plugs?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
heat stroke induction welcomed !
Old 07-29-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Snypa
I don't mind at all. When I am by myself on the highway...all the windows are up and the AC is off.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Old 07-30-2012, 04:47 PM
1997 Nissan Maxima SE

Just a quick update. I finally had a minute to do a little poking around. I was able to check all the fuses and relays associated with the AC system, and everything checked out fine. I'm starting to believe what rf97 said "that they may have shorted me on freon. After thinking about it how were they able to get a accurate reading on their gauges with out the compressor running??? I understand that they can jumper the compressor just to run it, but wouldn't they have noticed it not working after disconnecting the jumper? I wanted to hook my own gauges on until I noticed that both of my hoses need replaced. Time to place another call with the garage.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Administrator

I now it's too late now, but the whole compressor didn't need to be replaced. All you had to do was change the bearing. Could've saved a ton of money.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 AM

They prolly did not replace the drier.

Once the system has been exposed to atmosphere, or any major AC work has been completed (ie. replacing a compressor) u have to replace the drier.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
Originally Posted by Snypa
QFT, unless the car isnt your means of transportation and a track car

agreed!!!!!!!! i replaced my compressor myself and just took it to the shop for him to vacuum the system in case any impurities got in there and charged it up and didnt have an ounce of problems

Originally Posted by cashoit
They prolly did not replace the drier.

Once the system has been exposed to atmosphere, or any major AC work has been completed (ie. replacing a compressor) u have to replace the drier.
incorrect
Old 08-08-2012, 04:36 AM
1997 Nissan Maxima SE

Just thought I would have a 3rd mechanic look at this problem and was told that it looks like I will have to have my car computer changed???? i was told that every thing in the system checks out, but that there is a interlock in the car computer that is telling my compressor not to kick in??? Can this be true when everything was working great untill the compressor was changed out???
Old 08-08-2012, 04:39 AM

have you swapped out the compressor, again?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ringo1965
Just thought I would have a 3rd mechanic look at this problem and was told that it looks like I will have to have my car computer changed???? i was told that every thing in the system checks out, but that there is a interlock in the car computer that is telling my compressor not to kick in??? Can this be true when everything was working great untill the compressor was changed out???
Oh bullspit.

Start with the obvious and replace the compressor again.