4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternator bad, ABS and Airbag lights come on.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 AM

Alternator bad, ABS and Airbag lights come on.

I have read posts here and there about the battery and brake light indicating a nad alternator, well mine just started making noise last weekend, and when I got off work it was probably 100 degrees, and the clock display looked a little dim in the minute display, I kind of ignored it , then the radio started to dim, then a clicking from behind the glove box area...I tunred everything off , and the clock returned to it's normal brightness, but the Battery light never came on, just the ABS and And Airbag light...it's a 97 GLE w/68k..any advice, thanks, new to the forums.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:21 AM

bad alternator
Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 AM

I agree. I just had the same thing happen to my car this week. Only warning signs I got was that my door locks started acting funny, like they didnt want to lock. Not that it would happen again but I ended up getting a bad alternator from autozone that shreded the belt so be sure to inspect whatever one you end up getting. Looked like somone in inventory dropped mine off the shelf and bent the pulley. Swapping in a new one is pretty easy if you are even semi handy. all you need are a 14 mm socket, 12 mm socket, 10 mm socket, and a couple extensions. Only held in by 2 bolts.I also found that wrenches of a couple different lenghs made it a lot easier as space is a little limited behind the alternator itself. I was able to get mine off in a record time of just 30 minutes last night! thats got to be some kind of record for just my second time doing it. you will also see a lot of write ups that say you have to remove the radiator fans to get it out, that is 100% not true. You just need to manuver your A/c compressor out of the way thats it.

Lastly, prepare to have some cash ready because im not sure about all stores, but I paid $162 plus a $100 core for that alternator at autozone. Thats a pretty steep core if you ask me.

Last edited by marcyprojects; 08-03-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Thanks, did your battery light come on? I haven't driven mine since last weekend..but I did try to start it today, and nothing..thought the keyless and dome lights were fine. I eneded up jumping it just to get it running, and It is making kind of a meowwwwwwwww noise, not a squeaking so much. seems to be coming from the alternator/ a/c area. I am a pesimist(sp) but im guessing alternator too.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
bad alternator
This.
Originally Posted by marcyprojects
I agree. I just had the same thing happen to my car this week. Only warning signs I got was that my door locks started acting funny, like they didnt want to lock. Not that it would happen again but I ended up getting a bad alternator from autozone that shreded the belt so be sure to inspect whatever one you end up getting. Looked like somone in inventory dropped mine off the shelf and bent the pulley. Swapping in a new one is pretty easy if you are even semi handy. all you need are a 14 mm socket, 12 mm socket, 10 mm socket, and a couple extensions. Only held in by 2 bolts.I also found that wrenches of a couple different lenghs made it a lot easier as space is a little limited behind the alternator itself. I was able to get mine off in a record time of just 30 minutes last night! thats got to be some kind of record for just my second time doing it. you will also see a lot of write ups that say you have to remove the radiator fans to get it out, that is 100% not true. You just need to manuver your A/c compressor out of the way thats it.

Lastly, prepare to have some cash ready because im not sure about all stores, but I paid $162 plus a $100 core for that alternator at autozone. Thats a pretty steep core if you ask me.
I gave up on using refurbed alternators from Autozone after going through 3 of them. It's not that big of a job to do, but it did become a pain when I had to pay for the car to be towed; twice. I would suggest checking out "Bosch AL2365N New Alternator" from Amazon at $145.88; it is more expensive but from my experiences it cost less than my tows/headache/time.

Here is a link to the how-to replace the alternator and as marcyprojects stated; you do not need to remove the fans if you have a few extensions.

http://web.archive.org/web/200804191...ca/mvp.php/500