Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Suspension Questions? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/657201-suspension-questions.html)

vgq2 10-23-2012 10:17 AM

Suspension Questions?

Hey guys I am riding a 96 SE and my shocks are completely shot. Riding on pretty much just springs and I was going to replace my rotors/pads which then led to "oh well I'll just do it all at once." Im thinking of Tokico blues with some springs (megan, h-tech, tanabe) somewhere along those lines for a ~1.5 drop. I hear blues with s-tech is super rough. I would love full coilover or even illumina/agx but I am broke. I am going to replace the boots/bumpstops but I have a question that I cant seem to find a definite answer for. 1. Is it necessary to buy new front shock mounts as I have seen people do, and 2. Do I need to buy the seats/cushions that go on top and bottom of the spring? Any advice on the subject in general is much appreciated as this is the first time I have ever worked on suspension. Thanks in advance

njmaxseltd 10-23-2012 10:43 AM

You don't need to replace anything that isn't worn out. Therefore, remove the assembly from your car, tare it down and inspect. Replace what's necessary, rebuild and install.

I don't suggest the blues be coupled with anything other then H&R's, Progress or H-Tech's. S-Tech's are junk, leaving you with no suspension travel.

JAmerican 10-23-2012 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd (Post 8645437)
You don't need to replace anything that isn't worn out. Therefore, remove the assembly from your car, tare it down and inspect. Replace what's necessary, rebuild and install.

I don't suggest the blues be coupled with anything other then H&R's, Progress or H-Tech's. S-Tech's are junk, leaving you with no suspension travel.

I have a question about Suspension as well. My car drives fine and suspension works great but my Strut boots are all broken. Could I dissemble the Suspension and replace the boots and be okay?

VQ'rInWLA 10-23-2012 10:58 AM

Pm

styliztik 10-23-2012 11:00 AM

I'm on tokico blues with tokico springs. It's about 1.5" drop. Ride quality is amazing IMO. It's firm, but not rock hard or racecar status. Feels a tad bit firmer than my mothers 07 3 series BMW.

njmaxseltd 10-23-2012 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by JAmerican (Post 8645447)
I have a question about Suspension as well. My car drives fine and suspension works great but my Strut boots are all broken. Could I dissemble the Suspension and replace the boots and be okay?

The strut itself has a wiper bushing that keeps contaminants from destroying it. The boots help prolong the strut even more. How long do you plan on keeping the car?

ShocknAwe 10-23-2012 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JAmerican (Post 8645447)

yes and do it soon but only the OEM boots are worth a damn

JAmerican 10-23-2012 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe (Post 8645612)
yes and do it soon but only the OEM boots are worth a damn

You're always looking out for me ShocknAwe! :) Thanks man.

BTW, my car has been lowered with different spring and possibly strut. Would the OEM boot still work even though it may be different? I would think it would just compress more right?

maxprivate 11-25-2012 01:24 PM

I been running with Sprint spring for over 12 years and I need to replace my front struts.. running on KYB AGX now. I wanna keep the 2 inch drop I have now with Sprint springs. Any recommendations on struts with Sprint springs?

theWalkinator 11-25-2012 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate (Post 8671730)
I been running with Sprint spring for over 12 years and I need to replace my front struts.. running on KYB AGX now. I wanna keep the 2 inch drop I have now with Sprint springs. Any recommendations on struts with Sprint springs?

I just wondering if the shock is long gone and you just ride on spring, how would you be able to pass the safety inspection? Here is PA, you will certainly fail the inspection like in my case that the rear shock is gone.

maxprivate 11-25-2012 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by theWalkinator (Post 8671740)
I just wondering if the shock is long gone and you just ride on spring, how would you be able to pass the safety inspection? Here is PA, you will certainly fail the inspection like in my case that the rear shock is gone.

My shocks passed inspection with no problem here in NJ. I need to replace my front struts because the top nut got badly stripped on my AGX while I was trying to remove it to replace the upper strut mount... so I want to replace both struts while im at it. I have noticed over the years using AGX, even with the dampeness on max setting for firmness, I still bottom out sometimes and scrape my fender which shreds my tire a bit each time.

I was looking for a good suggestion on new struts with my current Spring spring.