4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

secondary reving

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

secondary reving

Hello to All-

Thank you for the opportunity to post.
Have an issue that recently came up with my 97 Maxima.

There is a secondary reving that is occuring with my car. It becomes audible at around 15-20 MPH. Best way to describe it...it is like you are driving down a steep decline and you put your car in 1 or 2 low.

It becomes louder (it is loud to begin with) the faster I drive. Continues even when I put the car in neutral. Car appears to shift fine...goes into OD fine.

Transmission fluid is not burned. Level and color are good.

Front tires are good. No play in tires that would make me think it is a bearing issue.

Sound appears to be coming from the center of the engine compartment close to the fire wall but honestly, have no idea. I had a friend drive next to my car last night to see if he could hear it. He said he could not but it was loud for me inside the car.

Any thoughts or additional questions?

Appreciation in advance for your help!

Regards-
Mike
Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

A wheel bearing doesn't necessarily have play in it when it's going bad. Does the noise get worse or better as you drive around curves or does it stay the same at all times? Have you rotated the tires, front to back to see if it's tread noise?

It could also be a bearing in the transmission going bad. Get the car up on a lift, put it in gear and check for the source.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
A wheel bearing doesn't necessarily have play in it when it's going bad. Does the noise get worse or better as you drive around curves or does it stay the same at all times?
source.
this

I would check axles WAY before pulling the tranny. You probably should try that and then check back with us